INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to sync a view from one MC to another?  (Read 2754 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How to sync a view from one MC to another?
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:57:37 am »

It feels like I'm being extremely dim here but I can't see how to do this. I then set about trying to find out how to do this and discovered the following along the way;

- view are not part of the library sync
- save/load a view has no obvious value (which led me to https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98961.0 which still leaves me a little unsure as to what it is for)
- exporting a view != saving a view despite the export option being called "Save a View" and being found in the "Customise View" window (which I gleaned from http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72514.0)

From this I worked out that the process for copying a view from A to B is;

- create the view
- go into customise view and save it as a jvi
- copy that file to the target machine into C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Library\Saved Views (creating the Saved Views directory if required)
- restart MC (inc media server?) on the target machine
- create a new view, your JVI will appear as a type of view in the list

Next step, work out how to repeat the same process for Theatre View and JRemote .....

I'm probably stating the obvious but this is pretty convoluted/obtuse. Am I missing something here? Is there a more straightforward method to use?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: How to sync a view from one MC to another?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:17:52 am »

I'm definitely missing something.

I originally created a view on my laptop (an MC client of my main server) then realised the view wasn't synced over to the server without the manual steps noted in the previous post. I then moved to my linux workstation and launched MC, the view does appear in here.

Does this mean that views are synced from the server to clients but not the other way around?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:19:27 am »

Views definitely sync from the server to the client. I'm not sure about the other way around.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:25:16 am »

Views definitely sync from the server to the client. I'm not sure about the other way around.
I think this means that http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync is out of date, it puts "View customization (columns, sorting, adding / removing views)" in the "not synced" bucket unless the type of view referred to there is some other type of view?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 08:31:50 am »

I think this may refer to bi-direcitonal sync, ie. things you can actually change on a client and have them stick.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 09:42:26 am »

Is there other configuration that is synced in one direction only?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:30:14 am »

I just created a new view on a client connect to a server. I have Auto Sync with Server checked on the client. I have authentication turned on on the server. After 30 minutes, the new view did not appear on server. I then did a manual sync (File - Library) and got a message than the client had been synced with the server. Again, the new view did not appear on the server. It does not appear that a view created on a client when it is in client/server mode will be transferred to the server.

I have found that tag changes made on the client will be reflected on the server. Other than that, I make all changes on the server. The MC client/server architecture was original called TRemote, which reflects it primary design. It was designed as a way for a client to control playback, rather than as a full client/server implementation for management purposes. Some management tools are included, but they are spotty. That is why I do pretty much all my changes on the server.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 11:53:35 am »

- save/load a view has no obvious value (which led me to https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98961.0 which still leaves me a little unsure as to what it is for)

I think you are getting your main question addressed by the various replies here.  But you're also asking a different question, which I'm quoting above.  There is aconfusing bit of overlapping terminology here.

First, there's the mechanism to Save and Load Library Views, found in Customize View > Settings > Saved Views .  This lets you export/save views that can be loaded later, or copied to other Library/Saved Views directories to recreate these Library Views in other Libraries on the same machine, or taken to a different machine to recreate Library Views there.

Second, there is a menu at View > Load / Save View .  This menu has NOTHING to do with Library Views.  Instead, it's a way of saving your screen layout.  Layout includes Tabs you may have opened, as well as Split Views you may have made.  It might save other stuff too; I'm not sure.  But it definitely gets Tabs and Split Views.  These are saved to be later recalled on that same menu, so you can quickly switch to a complex (or just favorite) set of tabs and splits.

The overlapping terminology confused me for months and I only recently figured it out.  Which is why I made the thread you reference above and why I'm responding now.  I hope this helps.

Brian.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 01:25:15 pm »

Second, there is a menu at View > Load / Save View .  This menu has NOTHING to do with Library Views.  Instead, it's a way of saving your screen layout.  Layout includes Tabs you may have opened, as well as Split Views you may have made.  It might save other stuff too; I'm not sure.  But it definitely gets Tabs and Split Views.  These are saved to be later recalled on that same menu, so you can quickly switch to a complex (or just favorite) set of tabs and splits.

The overlapping terminology confused me for months and I only recently figured it out.  Which is why I made the thread you reference above and why I'm responding now.  I hope this helps.
ah ok, yes that makes sense now. I suppose the menu option should really be load/save layout rather than view then given that a view is a specific configuration item within MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up