INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing backups with metadata from Sooloos  (Read 1961 times)

justaguy

Importing backups with metadata from Sooloos
« on: August 20, 2015, 01:05:55 pm »

Hello All!

I have a comprehensive backup from my Sooloos system that contains well over 2400 albums, and I would love to be able to import them into JRiver as the Sooloos system has failed.  Unfortunately, the names are all lower-case with no spaces (Buena Vista Social Club shows up as buenavistasocialclub), and most of the track names are missing.  In the same directory as each album, however, there is a file called info.xml that contains extensive information downloaded from AMG at the time of import into the Sooloos.

Is there any way to use this info.xml file to tag the albums rather than having to individually tag each one?  Again, the info in that file is VERY extensive and includes a review (although this last is not critical, I simply want song titles and album art).

At this point my Sooloos system is non-functional and I have no immediate plans to try to resurrect it or replace it with a newer version.

Thanks in advance for any help you can supply, if this does NOT work then I'm afraid I'll be back with many more questions.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Importing backups with metadata from Sooloos
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 01:53:54 pm »

For me, the big question is:  How much metadata is contained in the files themselves?  I would take a small group of files (maybe one album) and import them into JRiver MC to see what information is already in the files.  If you're lucky, all of the relevant info is already in the file tags of the song files.

If it's not, I know MC supports importing XML playlists, but I think it's tagging support, via XML import, is limited.  But I know very little about that part; someone else will know more.

In the mean time, try importing one album.  Or at least load up those files into an external tagging program like MP3TAG or KID3 to examine the metadata tags and see what's there.

Good luck!

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Importing backups with metadata from Sooloos
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 03:26:26 pm »

i know kid3 works with XML tags but only in a certain formatting.  it's possible you could import into it (or a similar XML tagger) to fill out the bulk of the id3 tags from the XML then move into MC and sort it out proper...

Pages: [1]   Go Up