INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reinstalling MC20 Wipes out previous Registry Entries  (Read 1843 times)

horse

• World Citizen
Reinstalling MC20 Wipes out previous Registry Entries
« on: August 22, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »

Long story short -

I have an issue with TVDB lookups failing to find any information. Although manually looking then up in the browser on the same machine works. Thinking it is an API issue.
Anyway, decided after various things didn't help to uninstall the current version 20.0.132, leaving the registry entries and then installing MC again.
After doing so, a significant amount of my customization was lost. Such as Zones, DLNA servers, Prtable devices and many other MC options. This I found was due to all the registry entries being missing. (Note to self. follow my own rules and backup the registry keys BEFORE)
Thinking I had not checked the box, I ran another test on my desktop and the results are as follows.

Install New install of MC 20.0.132 and add a single new Zone called "Test"

Registry keys are as follows

I then uninstall MC and ensure I have unchecked the remove registry entries

The resulting registry looks like this

All good so far.

Now Install again MC 20.0.132 and the registry is as follows

Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss a "Do not overwrite Registry when reinstalling option?

This has caused a significant amount of work re-customizing everything that was contained in the registry. Lesson learnt. Will now make backups of the Registry Keys and keep them with my library backups.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Reinstalling MC20 Wipes out previous Registry Entries
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 10:35:01 am »

MC does not remove registry settings when reinstalling or upgrading "over top" of the current version, nor when you uninstall if that option isn't checked in the uninstaller. I don't know what could have caused it, but it was very unlikely to have been something MC did. Are you sure you don't have some third-party registry tools or uninstall "helper" application causing trouble?  Perhaps registry permissions errors from mucking around with it too much?

In any case, MC automatically backs these settings up regularly as the Settings portion of a Library Backup:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

You almost certainly have a backup already on your system that you could use to restore the settings.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 01:19:29 pm »

Glynor,

Thanks and that was my expectations as well and previous experience. However I retested this on my Win7 workstation and the results are what I posted. I have no registry cleaners.

Looking in the backup Zip's I now see that there are "Settings" and was not aware that restoring this would reset the registry entries. That is very valuable to know and thanks for pointing that out.

Unless I have two machines with the same issue (Win 7x64 and Server 2012 R2) they both did the same. On install the registry was reset as illustrated when I tested the uninstall - reinstall process..

With a backup though it becomes somewhat a mute point, now I know :-)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:24:37 pm »

I suspect you have some permissions errors in your Registry.

My recommendation would be to:
1. Make a Library Backup.
2. Uninstall MC and remove all Registry Settings.
3. Check it manually in Regedit and make sure the HKLM and HKCU entries are really gone entirely.
4. Reboot.
5. Reinstall MC, and re-apply your License.
6. Restore your Library Backup.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up