INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 bit files show as 24 bits  (Read 2917 times)

BigBeard

16 bit files show as 24 bits
« on: August 23, 2015, 11:00:08 pm »

Hi,

I began using jriver, first as a trial version, to check it out.

I noticed that when it plays some of my 16 bit audio files, it shows an output of 24bits.

How can I make this bitperfect?

I am using it on my desktop pc:

SoundBlaster Z optical out to the Toslink in the Bifrost Uber, with my HD 800 plugged into an Asgard 2.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 16 bit files show as 24 bits
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:08:29 am »

it is bit-perfect!  any (upwards) change in the bit depth is done by padding with zero's, there is NO change to the audio output!  many DAC's are optimized for 24 bits, so you may actually get better performance by leaving it as is (***this is not a guarantee but is common with many DACs***)

however, to make it output 16 bit, just right click on the zone (playing now in the left tree) and choose 'playback options'
under audio device, select ...device settings.  change the bit depth from automatic to 16 bit. 

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:10:25 am »

Look at the JRiver screen, just below and to the left of the search box.  Is the square with the 3 vertical bars in it lit up (probably in blue)?  If so, JRiver thinks it is sending "bit perfect" audio.  Not counting any volume changes.

The change from 16 bit to 24 is probably because the audio interface you have selected talks to your Bifrost at 24 bits.  This is a good thing actually.  Converting audio from 16 bits to 24 is lossless and reversible.  It really only amounts to adding 8 zeros to the end of the word "bumping it up" to 24 bits.  This also allows you to turn the volume down without affecting the dynamic range of the music. Another good thing.

In short, I think what you're seeing is normal and won't affect the sound.

Enjoy,

Brian.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 10:18:41 am »

The wiki has a good explanation of audio bitdepth:

Converting from less bits to more bits is perfectly lossless. Conceptually, imagine adding bits like adding zeroes at the end of a decimal. For example, the number "10" might become "10.0" or "10.00" if you add more bits, but all three representations are perfectly identical.

When Media Center inputs data, all audio is first converted to 64bit. This ensures that any processing like digital volume, Replay Gain, or any other DSP (if any is enabled) is done with as much precision as possible. It also puts the data into a format that is efficient for a computer to handle, and makes it so that tracks of varying bitdepths can seamlessly transition.

When outputting data to a soundcard or DAC, the 64bit data is converted back to the format required by hardware. This is often 24bit for high-end DACs.

The transition from 16bit to the output bitdepth (often 24bit) is bit-perfect. Again, it's like "10" vs "10.0".
Pages: [1]   Go Up