INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I see all tracks that have missing files on disk?  (Read 6039 times)

flight16

• Junior Woodchuck
How can I see all tracks that have missing files on disk?
« on: August 24, 2015, 05:08:37 am »

How can I find all tracks in MC that are missing from disk (eg. accidentally moved, renamed, or deleted outside of MC)?  I realize there is a feature to delete tracks when their files on disk are deleted, but that's not exactly what I want.  I want a list in MC of tracks with missing files that I should investigate.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I see all tracks that have missing files on disk?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:48:57 am »

I've sort of wondered about this in the past myself.  JRiver shows a red minus sign (-) next to files that are missing, but you can't sort on it as far as I can tell.  For this to work, you have to set the option to NOT remove missing files from the database:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Configure auto import > Tasks > Fix Broken Links:  No

Then go to a view that you like with columns.  The Files view is a good one since you're probably interested in the file name.  Right click on a column header and select "Add Expression Column".  In the dialog box, name it something obvious, then in the expression area, type (or paste) this function:

isMissing()

This will show a 1 for missing files and a 0 for files that are on disk.  Click on this column to sort and voila' all of your missing files are right there.

Good luck on your project.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:11 am »

I see from the Too Easy thread that you'd rather have a smartlist for this.  That makes a lot of sense actually!  I sometimes don't think of the most convenient way when I'm focusing on the mechanics of the problem itself.  You can create a smartlist for this in about 60 seconds.  It's really easy.

Make a new SmartList.  Click Import/Export at the lower left corner.  Paste in this:

Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] [=ismissing()]=1
Click OK several times until the list is displayed.

That should do it!  :)

Brian.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:58:36 am »

I see from the Too Easy thread that you'd rather have a smartlist for this.  That makes a lot of sense actually!  I sometimes don't think of the most convenient way when I'm focusing on the mechanics of the problem itself.  You can create a smartlist for this in about 60 seconds.  It's really easy.

Make a new SmartList.  Click Import/Export at the lower left corner.  Paste in this:

Brian.

Thanks! This will be useful.

flight16

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:25:59 am »

Thanks for the instructions.   For the "It's too easy" thread the motivation was that it would come out-of-the-box for new users so they wouldn't have to go searching for an ismissing() function they might not even know to look for.  Still, I will be happily using the smart playlist since it will fit the need.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 10:49:33 am »

Brian.

This would make a great Smartlist right outta the box...as fitbrit said "Thanks! This will be useful.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 01:40:54 pm »

This would make a great Smartlist right outta the box...as fitbrit said "Thanks! This will be useful.
There are actually a lot of premade smartlists out of the box .. the problem is knowing how to "open" the box! :D

So for those that might have missed them .... Right click on the group title "Playlists" in the tree and choose add Stock Smartlists. There are a bunch that might help right away or you can edit to behave as you want. Erase the ones you don't need. Good way to learn what JRiver can do too

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 01:53:16 pm »

Next build:
Changed: Added the stock smartlist 'Audio -- Task -- Missing files'.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 02:01:03 pm »

A missing smartlist can be "bad" though. Its sheer presence can make stuff go really slow. Its important to remember that such a list is terribly insanely slow, since it doesn't work based on the library, but has to check every single physical file.
Like, if you look at your smartlist folder with JRemote, and it wants a thumbnail for all the smartlists, it'll trigger the Missing list, and it can take several seconds to complete, and needlessly work on your server system.

I wouldn't want such a list in my main smartlist folder .. if i needed one for regular maintenance, I would certainly hide it away in some sub-folder so I don't accidentally trigger it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 03:12:22 pm »

Yeah.  I find it best to keep these as a View, buried in my Advanced top-level tree item.

With a large Library, it can hang MC for 30-50 seconds to open this view.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

flight16

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 10:09:06 pm »

Thanks.  I'll try one of those routes.  I realize it might be slow, but that is the exact behavior I want: MC verifying the file exists.  I have had bad experiences with other "library managers" when some files have moved out from under me (probably my mistake) and I didn't know until it was too late.

MediaMonkey handles this case nicely.  From memory, it has an option to scan library on startup, and there's a progress bar in the bottom status bar to see progress.  The application is responsive during this time.  A dialog will pop up with a summary of missing tracks at the end.  I think you can also initiate this scan manually.

flight16

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 10:10:13 pm »

There are actually a lot of premade smartlists out of the box .. the problem is knowing how to "open" the box! :D

I actually had this problem.  I didn't know they even existed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up