INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id as DLNA Renderer  (Read 8058 times)

Mike48

• World Citizen
Id as DLNA Renderer
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:13:45 pm »

I'm currently doing some experiments with MC 20 on a laptop, running as a DLNA renderer.  Associated software is MinimServer on a Synology NAS and BubbleUPnP on a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

First thing I noticed is that MC20 on my laptop is very laggy in responding to the control point, compared to a dedicated DLNA/OpenHome renderer (Auralic Aries). Should I expect the Id to be the same? Or maybe even slower?  The laptop has an i5 processor.

Second thing is that DLNA is a little funkier than the OpenHome standard supported by the Aries. Does JRiver have any thoughts of implementing OpenHome on the Id (or in MC in general, when used as a renderer)?

Mike

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id as DLNA
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:16:17 am »

First thing I noticed is that MC20 on my laptop is very laggy in responding to the control point, compared to a dedicated DLNA/OpenHome renderer (Auralic Aries). Should I expect the Id to be the same? Or maybe even slower?  The laptop has an i5 processor.

What's the bottleneck in your network?

Are you wired or wireless?

Wired - what's your ethernet port, router, switch, cable Cat_X speed?
Wireless - what's your WiFi speed standard from router, access points, receiver? How far apart is all of this kit and how solid are your walls / floor?

Hard to be certain with this because the level of definition could be more clear.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Mike48

• World Citizen
Re: Id as DLNA Renderer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 03:11:03 pm »

AFAIK, there is no bottleneck in the network. As I said, an Auralic Aries in place of the laptop with MC runs fine and can stream 2xDSD files without problems. It also accepts commands from the same control point without lagging noticeably.

The network is wired - 1gB Ethernet with Cat 6 wiring and cables - ASUS RT-N56U router and a Trendnet 1Gb switch.

The tablet (of course) is wireless, connected to the same router and operating fine. 4/5 bars for signal strength.

The NAS with the music and music server is also wired to the LAN with Cat 6 wiring and cables.

I don't think it's the network. The laptop otherwise runs everything fine. But MC, running as a DLNA renderer, is laggy at responding to the control point. Has anyone here used it that way, and what was your experience? Should I expect similar performance from Id?

And a new question:  Does Id allow access to DSP Studio?  I am guessing I'd need to hook up a monitor, mouse, & keyboard for that.

Mike

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 09:08:56 pm »

Any chance I could get an answer from JRiver to this simple question about your products?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 03:22:50 pm »

I would expect the Id to behave the same way as in your test.
There is likely something odd going on with the server / control point / renderer (MC) combination which accounts for the slowness.
When we use MC as both the server and renderer the response is instantaneous.

You can access the Id to get to DSP Studio remotely as well with windows remote desktop or VNC.

We've had a discussion about OpenHome in the past on the networking forum.
It's interesting but has no hardware support whatsoever (other that the company that created the "standard") so we've decided it's not a priority.

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:59:12 am »

Bob, thanks for the reply.

I have used this control point and server combination with three other renderers without problem.

I tried another control point, with the same issues. I then tried using another MC installation as a server, with the same issues. I wonder if this (MC as renderer) works well only when the server and renderer are the same MC installation (i.e., on the same computer).

So my limited experiments point the finger (provisionally) at the MC implementation as a DLNA renderer. But I can't be the only one who uses it this way? Or maybe I am.

It's not just laggy, but it when it starts the first track, it cuts off the first half second or so, and then it sometimes repeats the same track. Oddly, if playing a long queue of tracks, it seems to settle down after a few tracks and behave as expected.

As to Open Home, it seems to me (in theory at least) a better idea. Regarding hardware, Auralic has implemented it in their excellent Aries renderer. Hardly a groundswell, but not just Linn any more.

misterdog

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 02:53:29 pm »

I have just purchased an Auralic aries Mini and would also like to control it with my JRiver MC.

I notice there is a button on Auralic's Lightning app which allows you to change from Open Home to UPNP.

Going to try this next.

Essentially Auralic have given up on Android support, which is a shame the Aries mini is the product I have been waiting for for years. The sound quality is excellent but software control is -------

I refuse to buy an Ipad to control it though (subject to amendment !!)

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »

Misterdog:  Do you have an Android tablet?  The standard Aries (so probably the mini) can be controlled with BubbleUPnP, a leading client for Android.  It even supports OpenHome mode (which is better).  You can then use current Lightning DS to control only features that Bubble doesn't support (configuration, mainly).  I'm not trying to discourage you from using MC for this, just giving a good option.

misterdog

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 04:29:53 pm »

Hi yes I'm currently using Bubble DS Next which is an Open Home controller.

First impressions are that it is a very good App. (not as good as JRiver though ! )

Still needed to borrow an Ipad to initialise the Mini with Auralic's Lightning DS App. 

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 11:40:20 am »

Hi yes I'm currently using Bubble DS Next which is an Open Home controller.

First impressions are that it is a very good App. (not as good as JRiver though ! )

Still needed to borrow an Ipad to initialise the Mini with Auralic's Lightning DS App. 

I like Bubble Upnp better than the Linn-specific version (Bubble DS Next) you're using.  Surprisingly, it supports OpenHome. Give it a try! It's recommended by the bubble author for use with the Aries.

I know that Auralic is stopping Android development, but can't you install the current Lightning Ds to configure your Aries? I have it installed on an android phone and tablet and it works fine on both with my Aries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up