INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording from a CD Player  (Read 1035 times)

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Recording from a CD Player
« on: September 14, 2003, 03:31:03 pm »

Has anybody ever recorded from a CD player to your computer? I a, just wondering if it would still be digital? How much would you lose?

I am asking this as a result of copy controled CD's.

Just a thought...
(I ask as I do not have a home cd player.)
-

jfmus

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Recording from a CD Player
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 05:19:43 pm »

Realisticly it should be feasable. The quality is going to depend on the sound card, and the connections. The potential for extranious noise from the computer hardware and the connection is where the majority of the problems would be. You can use any program to record a wave including Media Center. Not sure what the loss of quality would be, I am sure someone out there can give you an idea.

jfmus

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 06:10:45 pm »

If it helps I have a Audigy 2 sound card.

I am just wondering if the end result would be worth the purchase of a cd player..
-

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 06:19:09 pm »

Essentially what jfmus said is correct. An external sound card (I use SB extigy), should give you the lowest added noise, however, by using the line out connection of the CD player there will already be a certain amount of signal degradation inherrant in the analog signal versus the digital. This can be quite minimal depending on the quallity of the equipment and acceptable if it's the only way you can get the CD (or other type source) recorded into your computer.

I use the line input of my extigy to record LPs and Cassettes and the only noise I hear is that of the media itself, (I use another program to clean up most of that)

I'm sure there are some MC audiophiles that would cringe at the thought connecting a CD player this way. But you do what you have to do.

have fun - enjoy the music.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 10:17:01 pm »

I'm sure there are some MC audiophiles that would cringe at the thought connecting a CD player this way. But you do what you have to do.

Not sure, maybe someone else will comment - however I have read comments from some people who say that if you have a really good audiophile quality CD player and professional quality soundcard, this is a better way of getting a high quality rip.

I'm not sure why - perhaps something to do with good quality filtering on the CD player.
Pages: [1]   Go Up