INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync volume across zones  (Read 2023 times)

Audionut11

• Recent member
Sync volume across zones
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:06:40 am »

Probably missing something simple, but can I sync the volume between two zones?
So that changing the volume in one zone, also changes the volume in other zones.

I've copied one zone to the other, so that playback is in sync between the zones.  But volume is alluding me.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sync volume across zones
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 06:04:44 am »

Not that I'm aware of ... maybe someone else will add their two cents.

With some messing around and calibrating the volume you should be able to set a startup volume. Last party I had I did this manually through teamviewer  - not the best option if you link zones all the time.

Audionut11

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:23:59 am »

Cheers for the reply.  Looks like volume control will be the least of my problems.

My google search skills have improved remarkably after getting some extra equipment for big plans that look like crashing.  The initial idea was using zones for 11.3 through two sound cards.  Looks like this will not be easy, and more then likely impossible.

I was planing on using an Asus Xonar D2X to feed 7 channels, and HDMI output from the mobo to feed 7 channels.  The idea being 7.3 with tri-amped fronts.  Since I need to use HDMI for the AVR (no analog inputs), I'm pretty sure this rules out any SPDIF clock syncing, leaving me SOL.

Anyone can feel free to chime in with suggestions. :)

I've since found lots of old posts on the subject, and I assume that JRiver being able to hardware control multiple devices to sync off a master clock is a no go.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 09:50:24 am »

11.3 ? -- goes way beyond me I would rephrase your topic question and make a new post
in Devices/sound cards dac etc.

there are a bunch of guys that have some heavy experience in tri/bi-amping as well as multi-channel zone applications

mwillems and Mojave are two that really know their stuff (there are others too sorry guys :p )

this might work for you -- Mojave seems to love it

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96435.0

or maybe a Steinberg UR824 that mwillems uses or a Lynx Aurora? -- not sure the split ASus/mobo route is the best way to go ... but then again I just read their posts and budget is probably a consideration, so I'd ask there

cheers

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 10:11:42 am »

I've since found lots of old posts on the subject, and I assume that JRiver being able to hardware control multiple devices to sync off a master clock is a no go.

The issue isn't in JRiver's ability to control, it's in the hardware's ability to accept an external clock signal.  I've never seen a Receiver that had that capability, and many commercial sound devices can't either.  If you want to use 14 channels, you'll need to either buy one interface that has fourteen outputs, or buy two interfaces that support syncing enough channels.

SPDIF would not solve your problem as SPDIF can only send two channels uncompressed so you couldn't even daisy chain a solution that way unless you had an eight analog channel out device with 3 SPDIF outputs.  Two Steinberg UR824's would probably work because the ADAT inter-link can send 8 channels with a clock, but really you're probably better off buying one device with enough analog output channels.

Alternatively, you could buy two 2x6 mini-DSP devices and place them in the signal path for your tri-amped speakers, but that doesn't solve your sub issue.

Bottom line: you need interfaces that share a clock signal to have a reliable setup, which means:

1) One interface with enough analog outputs
2) Multiple interfaces that collectively have enough analog outputs that can accept a word-clock input separate from the audio signal (expensive, but they exist) and a word-clock source.
3) Multiple interfaces that collectively have enough analog outputs, one of which can send a multichannel ADAT output and one of which can accept a multichannel ADAT input (ADAT can usually send 8 or more channels with the clock)
4) One interface with several SPDIF or AES/EBU outputs, and devices that have SPDIF or AES/EBU inputs that collectively have enough analog outputs. A conventional SPDIF output is typically a stereo pair with a clock.  You'd need 7 such outputs.  A Lynx AES 16e would work as a clock source, but you'd need actual DACs with AES/EBU inputs to take advantage of it obviously.
5) Some combination of the above.

USB and HDMI don't typically have an embedded clock or most devices receiving such an input ignore the clock (same outcome).  
Pages: [1]   Go Up