INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert audio on MC client?  (Read 3177 times)

edwarduk

• Recent member
Convert audio on MC client?
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:53:49 am »

As per subject:  Is there anyway I can do an audio conversion (FLAC to MP3) via a JRiver MC Client?

Specifically my daughter has MC on her laptop which performs simply as a client linking to MC set up on a local central server.

Often times she will ask me to drop off her new CDs into the server which I will do via FLACs and let that auto-import into the MC main library.

On the server side I can easily do MC conversions, but I'd rather not have her mess around on the server side (either via MC server or directly in the folders).

The client side does not seem to allow conversions (greyed out).

She wants these conversions for importing into her iTunes library (and syncing to her iPhone).

If not possible I guess I could find an external converter and have that crawl around the server folders (with risks).  What I definitely do not want her to do is have iTunes crawl all over the server folders!

Also I'd rather not convert everything myself and set up stacks etc.

Thanks for any hints or workarounds.

Thinking about this as I type one way is for her to copy over the refelevant FLACS to her local disk and do a local conversion.  Not elegant, too many steps and will leave a ton of stuff just lying around..

E

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Convert audio on MC client?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:03:11 am »

Is there anyway I can do an audio conversion (FLAC to MP3) via a JRiver MC Client?
the "sync handheld" option is, iirc, available on an MC client and can do audio format conversion. It can't do the full convert format/apply DSP thing though so if you have more complex requirements you'd have to do something like import the library locally and use the client as an MC server when required.

edwarduk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:07:18 am »

Thanks Mattkhan

Let me have a look at that.  However I fully anticipate that my daughter will want to import the mp3 files into her local iTunes library and from there synch to her handheld rather than going directly to her handheld. She has been using iTunes for ages.  (wheras I positively try to keep a million miles away from iTunes!  ;D )

E

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:15:29 am »

the "handheld" can be some arbitrary directory on the filesystem so you can sync to the local filesystem and then I guess you can tell itunes that that directory is part of its library & it should just automagically work.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:45 am »

what I used to do when my sons were a bit younger was to rip in both flac and mp3 for all their albums, whether they asked or not. I have a ripper that does this simultaneously, which dumped the mp3s in a network folder they could access, so it cost me nothing in time just a bit of storage space. You can add the conversion step as part of your workflow, through JRiver directly, just a 2-step procedure. That way no issues.

Now they are in their 20's so I just let them go in via Teamviewer from wherever they are and take what they want. But they are savvy geeks, with good taste. I actually want to rip their albums for myself :)

Not exactly what you want to hear, but short of creating a local library for her and having her pc run another version of media server, can't see away around it other iirc route recommended by Mattkhan, can't think of much else.

edwarduk

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 11:34:02 am »

the "handheld" can be some arbitrary directory on the filesystem so you can sync to the local filesystem and then I guess you can tell itunes that that directory is part of its library & it should just automagically work.

Ahh!  I did not realise that the 'handheld' can be defined as a folder somewhere.  Let me see if I can get that working.

what I used to do when my sons were a bit younger was to rip in both flac and mp3 for all their albums, whether they asked or not. I have a ripper that does this simultaneously, which dumped the mp3s in a network folder they could access, so it cost me nothing in time just a bit of storage space. You can add the conversion step as part of your workflow, through JRiver directly, just a 2-step procedure. That way no issues.

Now they are in their 20's so I just let them go in via Teamviewer from wherever they are and take what they want. But they are savvy geeks, with good taste. I actually want to rip their albums for myself :)

Not exactly what you want to hear, but short of creating a local library for her and having her pc run another version of media server, can't see away around it other iirc route recommended by Mattkhan, can't think of much else.

She just turned 21 and although quite a 'savvy geek' probably would want to stay away from danger. Like you I'm always keen to rip her albums.  Actually we share similar music tastes and often I suggest things to her and her to me. Mind you, she has not let me see her Spotify playlist so far.

I think that Mattkhan's suggestions will bear fruit.  I'll update here later.

cheers
E

edwarduk

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 01:25:45 pm »

Awesome!  Mattkhan your suggestion of defining a handheld to be a folder is perfect.

Did a few test albums on two different MC client machines (one via the internet) and all just works.

All very simple.  It is now just drag and drop.  No savvy geekiness required.   8)

My daughter will be really pleased - especially when she goes back to university at end September and can do things remotely.

thanks very much.

E
Pages: [1]   Go Up