INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist Help  (Read 986 times)

Klingler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Smartlist Help
« on: September 13, 2003, 05:40:36 pm »

Is it possible to include [Random] as a final sort option?

For example, I would like a Top 100 Played list that is generally sorted by [Number Plays]-d, but then sorted randomly for tracks that have been played the same number of times.

Even better would be a "fuzzy" sort option, whereby you could tell MC to sort approximately based on the number of plays.  My idea would be that a track that had been played 8 times would probably come before a track played 4 times, but might be sorted after one that has been played 7 times.  This would allow a little more randomness in the sorting.  I think this would be really useful for a smartlist that are for favorite songs.  You could have it generally play the least played songs, but could still throw in a song that you've heard more often every now and then.

Rob

PaulH

• Recent member
Re: Smartlist Help
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 01:29:11 am »

Yes you can choose random sort.

You need to right-click in the command line and then choose modifier and sorting.

Then type random into the dialog box field.

If you want to sort on the other attributes like favourites or number of plays then you could make your smartlist only contain these..if you see what I mean.

Cheers,

Paul

Playing "Silence is Easy" by starsailor

Klingler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Smartlist Help
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 05:17:37 pm »

Paul,

Thank you for your suggestion, but that's not what I'm looking for.  I want/need the first sort to be the number of plays.  I then want MC to randomize the order of the songs that all have the same number of plays.  In other words, I want something like:

~sort=[Number Plays],[Random]

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to do anything.

I know that I could do two smartlists, where the first just selected the top 100 plays or so, and then the second took everything on that playlist and sorted in randomly.  However, I want something a little more sophisticated, so that which song has been played the most will be first, but then if, for example, 3 songs are tied for second, MC should randomly sort them following the first song.

I did, however, get something close to my "fuzzy" sorting mechanism.  I created a playlist that will mostly consist of my least played songs, but will throw in a few more popular ones as well.  

First, I created three "build" playlists (i.e., ones that I only use for building other lists).

The first takes the 500 most played tracks.
The second takes the 500 least played tracks.
The third takes everything that's not on either of the other playlists.

Finally, I created a playlist that takes 2% of the songs on the first playlist, 10% of the second list, and 4% of the third playlist.  (Obviously, you can adjust the percentages for both the number of tracks that you want, as well as their relative weights.)

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up