INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Show Cover art issue  (Read 6470 times)

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
TV Show Cover art issue
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:25 pm »

I have just migrated from Windows Home Server to Ubuntu 14.04 and installed MC.  I have managed to restore my library and have changed the path and everything is functioning and accessible.  The problem i currently have is that tv show series and season cover art in not displaying as it once did.  Each episode has its own screenshot/image which displays no problem, but cover art for the series and seasons is not showing anymore.  I have tried to get it from the internet through the cover art menu with no luck.  It finds the cover art no problem but does not update.  I do have season and series cover art located within each directory tagged as such:  season-all.jpg; season01-poster.jpg

Does anyone know how to fix this?

TIA

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: TV Show Cover art issue
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:48:08 pm »

I have just migrated from Windows Home Server to Ubuntu 14.04 and installed MC.  I have managed to restore my library and have changed the path and everything is functioning and accessible.  The problem i currently have is that tv show series and season cover art in not displaying as it once did.  Each episode has its own screenshot/image which displays no problem, but cover art for the series and seasons is not showing anymore.  I have tried to get it from the internet through the cover art menu with no luck.  It finds the cover art no problem but does not update.  I do have season and series cover art located within each directory tagged as such:  season-all.jpg; season01-poster.jpg

Does anyone know how to fix this?

TIA

Are you trying to update the cover art from the server or from a client?  If you're doing it from a client, that's the problem (cover art cannot be changed from a client, it must be changed on the server itself).  If you're doing it on the server, have you checked your settings under options for the cover art directory?  It may still be set to your old filepath which obviously wouldn't work on linux.

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:51:48 am »

mwillems - thanks for ur reply.  checked everything you suggested; still a no go.  Also, i am seeing two "jriver" directories in my home directory; one a dot directory the other not.  is this how it is supposed to be?  if so, which would be the default location for the cover art directory?  mine falls under the "jriver" (no dot) directory.  nested w/in "cover art": Albums; Seasons; Series; and Videos directories.  Series, seasons, and albums appear to be fully populated and properly tagged.

Currently, i am rebuilding thumbnails (which is gonna take a while) to see if i'll have some luck going that way.  i'll report back when done.

If all else fails, do you think clearing the tv shows out of the library and then reimporting would do any good?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:51 am »

All should be in the same directory, don't think there should be a non-dot directory. How odd.
From what I understand, it should be in ~/.jriver/Media Center 20/Cover Art/

Maybe the path migrated badly from Windows? Hm.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 04:06:09 am »

OK that's strange.  I have since moved everything under .jriver and created a new library, and am currently scanning everything in.  Once done i think im going to backup the library and the uninstall/reinstall MC just to make sure everything is where it should be.  so far the scan is looking good, it hasn't reached my tv shows yet, but artists and albums are filling in nicely.

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 06:38:32 pm »

Still having no luck. 

I have uninstalled MC and deleted the jriver directories within my home folder (unsure if i got everything) and reinstalled.  Started with a blank library, creating test files (one movie, one album, and one tv show (all episodes) into a directory and imported them no problems except again for no cover art for tv. 

I have cleaned the cover art folder from the options menu and tried getting the cover art from the internet.  I can see the files after saving them in my cover art folder but they still will not show. 

Additionally, when selecting the "shows" view the thumb that is displayed is titled "SeriesDisplay" - digging deeper it shows the default "shows" view uses the expression: TVInfo(SeriesDisplay).  I tried creating a new view sorting by library field "Series" which then lists the series by title, but still no cover art.  I do see episode art, guessing from the first episode of the first season.

SO... I am wondering if it is related to ubuntu 14.04.  My intention is to run a file and media server, with ability to backup/image my other "windows" PCs and do some virtualization.  Since Debian seems to be the distro MC is developed on, will debian meet these other requirements? 

I have no problem moving to debian, just picked ubuntu 14.04 because i was under the impression it was a distro specifically made for server use, and thought it had a strong support community, as well as an abundance of software/applications available. 

i was looking at other distros as well, but i would prefer something as versatile as possible, with strong support, and (while not a deal breaker) can use the btrfs file system.  this is running on an old amd athlon 4200+ dual core 64-bit with 8gb of memory.  --may move it to an old HP ex490 media server box (celeron 64-bit; not sure on other specs)

so having said all that; would debian meet my needs?  is it going to provide the best support for MC now and in the immediate future?

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 10:35:43 pm »

Update:  I have performed a clean OS install, followed by MC20.  Then imported my media library (fresh, not a restore) with the same result.  I can confirm that season and series .jpgs are updating and being created in the cover art directory; just not showing up in the "Shows" view or a custom view I created. 

Also searching through old posts I found someone else who had what appears to be the same issue:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91801.0

I corrected the path problem, but it still fails because Image support is not enabled yet in the Linux version, and the way it stores the images for those categories requires image support.
It'll be a few versions before we can enable that, I'm afraid.

At least it'll put them in a place where it'll find them later again.

Pretty old post, figured it was probably resolved by now, but I'll ask anyway.  Has this been resolved?

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 02:26:16 pm »

finally got it working.  decided to install MC21 and it seems the cover art issue has been fixed.  unsure if it was simply that MC20 did not get around to implementing this feature, or if I had repeatedly installed a bad build.  have yet to get a definitive answer.  I combed the Linux threads throughout this forum and could not find anything addressing this except for a year old thread referenced in one of my other posts w/in this thread and an unclear reference in one of the build releases.  ~no worries; it helped me understand the structure of MC a little better.

anyway FYI for anyone else who may be experiencing this issue; upgrading to MC21 MAY be the fix, it worked for me YMMV.  While it was good learning experience; I can finally stop banging my head against the wall, and start setting up MC and my server so I can put it to work.   8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up