INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie questions about plugins?  (Read 5310 times)

pootler

• Recent member
newbie questions about plugins?
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:47:11 am »

HI, I am new to the forums -  and to J River. ( I come from xbmc/Kodi  )

I have spent ( at least ) a good couple of hours looking through all the FAQ's, and such and can't seem to find and answer to this.

I am trying to use eq for a crossover to my speakers.  - this will probably be a new thread soon. ;)

For starters, I am wondering why I can not use vst plugins ( i come from a studio environment) to eq individual channels?

If I select the J river PEQ, then it gives the option to affect a particular channel/s.

If I select a vst plugin via the manager, then the GUI for the plugin appears but there is no section for applying that effect to a specific channel?

Also, can you pin the GUI for the effects? - I would like to see the analyser, whilst applying eq?

If there are obvious answers to these then forgive my ignorance  :)

Many thanks

keith

Win 7
J river version 20
HDMI connection through NVIDIA geforce210
Pioneer VSX421 AV receiver

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: newbie questions about plugins?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:52:47 am »

I'll let others reply to your question, other than to say that MC does support most VST plug-ins.  The plug-in's interface should then be available.

By the way, we prefer "JRiver", not "J River".  We changed it a few years ago because it works better with searches.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:44:15 am »

For starters, I am wondering why I can not use vst plugins ( i come from a studio environment) to eq individual channels?

You can't unless your VST allows you to control different channels differently.  Look for a multi-channel VST.

Also, can you pin the GUI for the effects? - I would like to see the analyser, whilst applying eq?

I'm not 100% what "pin the GUI for effects" means, but you can open multiple DSP studio windows and have the analyzer showing on one while tweaking the other.

Good luck getting your crossovers setup.  I did my first JRiver crossover a few years back, and I've never looked back.  You can do almost anything you'd want to do using the built-in PEQ and convolver.

pootler

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:06:43 am »

I'll let others reply to your question, other than to say that MC does support most VST plug-ins.  The plug-in's interface should then be available.

By the way, we prefer "JRiver", not "J River".  We changed it a few years ago because it works better with searches.

Thanks JimH,

I look forward to playing around with JRiver.

pootler

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:11:36 am »

You can't unless your VST allows you to control different channels differently.  Look for a multi-channel VST.

I'm not 100% what "pin the GUI for effects" means, but you can open multiple DSP studio windows and have the analyzer showing on one while tweaking the other.

Good luck getting your crossovers setup.  I did my first JRiver crossover a few years back, and I've never looked back.  You can do almost anything you'd want to do using the built-in PEQ and convolver.

Thanks  MWillems,

What i meant by 'pin' is that most DAWS have the facility whereby , once you have a vst GUI up, then you can 'pin' it to the desktop so it doesn't go away when you open another.

Your advice I'm sure is just as good - but, how do you open more than one dsp studio window?

I  searched for this on the forum  ( multiple dsp studio windows ), and all it came up with was your reply to me :-)

Thanks again  - and are they really your speakers!?

keith

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:29:50 am »

Voxengo GlissEQ is the only multi-channel EW VST plugin that I know of and it supports 8 channels. JRiver's own PEQ is excellent and supports more channels.

How do you open multiple DSP studio windows? Doesn't seem to work for me.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:38:02 am »

What i meant by 'pin' is that most DAWS have the facility whereby , once you have a vst GUI up, then you can 'pin' it to the desktop so it doesn't go away when you open another.

Your advice I'm sure is just as good - but, how do you open more than one dsp studio window?

I'm not in front of MC right now, so I can't test but I know I've had multiple DSP studio windows open in the past.  The most recent time I did this I was copying EQ settings across from one zone to another.  Hopefully it's not a one per zone type limitation (I could've sworn I had two open in one zone before).

I hope I haven't steered you wrong!

Thanks again  - and are they really your speakers!?

Yes they are. They're about 24"W by 28"D by 42"H. They had to be about that big to enclose the horn and get it at ear level.  And of course all those cubic feet helped get a nice low port tuning for the LF stage (27 Hz).  Not quite refrigerator-sized, but close; about the size of a tall washing machine.  

pootler

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:49:47 am »

Voxengo GlissEQ is the only multi-channel EW VST plugin that I know of and it supports 8 channels. JRiver's own PEQ is excellent and supports more channels.

Thanks mojave

I have gliss - i'll try it. - I presume by using this it will give me the option in the window to apply it to different channels?

I'm sure PEQ is good technically, but coming from a DAW background, i need a nice GUI to see what I am doing , that looks much more like a laborious data entry format.

anyway , waiting to see how mwillems got more than one window open! ;-)

thanks

keith

DarkSpace

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 03:27:00 pm »

I'm not in front of MC right now, so I can't test but I know I've had multiple DSP studio windows open in the past.  The most recent time I did this I was copying EQ settings across from one zone to another.  Hopefully it's not a one per zone type limitation (I could've sworn I had two open in one zone before).

I hope I haven't steered you wrong!

I just tried this, and I couldn't open multiple DSP Studios for one Zone. The opened DSP Studio for that Zone would simply gain focus. I tried both directly opening the DSP Studio and opening via Audio Options -> DSP Studio, with the same result. Shame, that idea about also showing a Visualizer is interesting!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 04:07:09 pm »

Everyone here is right, I'm a dope.  You can open separate DSP Studio windows for separate zones, but you can only ever show one per zone.  I could've sworn it didn't used to work that way, but I'm probably just misremembering.

Sorry for the static!

pootler

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 05:29:21 pm »

Forgive me - but isn't that a bit crazy  :-\

So you can't for example, keep the spectrum analyser on screen while you tweak the eq in real time??

Ah well,  back to the drawing board.

keith

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 05:37:29 pm »

Forgive me - but isn't that a bit crazy  :-\

So you can't for example, keep the spectrum analyser on screen while you tweak the eq in real time??

Ah well,  back to the drawing board.

keith

A visual representation of the parametric EQ is an oft-requested feature; it would be nice.  

Currently the options are: you can model your EQ in another program and then transcribe (which I've definitely done before using rePhase).  Or you can just play pink noise and run a real time analyzer in the background which makes for more accurate results.

If you're doing active crossover design with the elements in place, I'd encourage you to take a look at my guide to speaker correction pinned at the top of this section.  It offers a relatively easy semi-automated guide to doing correction that is easily translated to an active crossover context. 

JRiver's EQ is very versatile, it's just not very easy to use if you don't already know what you need.  That's where the other (free) software I mention in my guide comes in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up