INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using The Pono As A Balanced Source For Home Stereo  (Read 11204 times)

BrianKW

• Recent member
Using The Pono As A Balanced Source For Home Stereo
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:30:07 pm »

Can anyone tell me if someone like Monoprice sells an adapter that I can connect to the Pono's balanced mode outputs (left & right)
I would like to connect them to a pair of RCA cables I already have.
I already have some RCA to 1/4 inch adapters for the other end.

I would like to use the Pono in balanced mode for my home setup.

l8mdl

• Recent member
Re: Using The Pono As A Balanced Source For Home Stereo
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 10:19:13 am »

Just curious - what amplifier are you using for your balanced play? thanks!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:47:22 pm »

like this?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7146&seq=1&format=2

i don't have a Pono but from playing with one i recall the outputs are both 3.5mm audio...?

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 01:43:45 pm »

DO NOT USE THAT PLUG!!! Check the info sheets at the Pono website under the "Knowledge" section, Tech sheets 1, 2 and 3. THOSE PLUGS WILL DAMAGE YOUR PLAYER!!!

https://www.ponomusic.com/servlet/fileField?id=0BE15000000GoDv
(See #4 (in RED) on this sheet)

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:20:27 pm »

Just curious - what amplifier are you using for your balanced play? thanks!

Thanks for the reply and I'm glad you asked.

While I have a special balanced HP cable for the Pono and my HD650's... so far I prefer connecting the Pono's non-balanced line out into the ART EQ RCA inputs which then goes into a Little Dot III HP Amp RCA inputs .
This is only because I can tweak horrible recordings with the ART.
I'm now wondering if I can improve this setup by going balanced.

While the ART EQ has balanced inputs (XLR & 1/4 inch) the LD III AMP only has RCA (non-balanced) inputs...which brings up another question...

Would getting a balanced signal into my ART EQ be useless since I then have to use the RCA output to put into the non-balanced Amp?
My guess would be no... it wouldn't be useless

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:42:07 pm »

Can anyone tell me if someone like Monoprice sells an adapter that I can connect to the Pono's balanced mode outputs (left & right)
I would like to connect them to a pair of RCA cables I already have.
I already have some RCA to 1/4 inch adapters for the other end.

I'm kind of confused about what you're describing.  If you're running balanced to RCA, it isn't balanced anymore once it hits the RCA adapter.  The RCA connector only has two contact points (tip and sleeve) so you've lost the balanced portion of the signal at that point because it requires a third contact.  In order to actually carry a balanced signal you'd need a 3.5mm stereo to 1/4 TRS connector (or three pin XLR) with no RCA step in the middle.  If you can't find one off the shelf, check out blue jeans cable, they can make you a nice reasonably priced cable with arbitrary terminations on either end.

Would getting a balanced signal into my ART EQ be useless since I then have to use the RCA output to put into the non-balanced Amp?
My guess would be no... it wouldn't be useless

It wouldn't be useless provided you actually get a balanced signal to the ART EQ input (i.e. don't use RCA adapters on that part of the signal path).  You'd gain the benefits of a balanced output for that part of the signal path.  If you can keep the RCA runs from the ART EQ to the amp very short, running the Pono to ART stage balanced could provide some benefits (i.e. it will prevent the ART from picking up hum or other common mode noise from the Pono, for example).

But if your plan is to run the balanced outputs through an RCA cable you will get no benefit whatsoever.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 03:28:16 pm »

While I have a special balanced HP cable for the Pono and my HD650's... so far I prefer connecting the Pono's non-balanced line out into the ART EQ RCA inputs which then goes into a Little Dot III HP Amp RCA inputs .
This is only because I can tweak horrible recordings with the ART.
I'm now wondering if I can improve this setup by going balanced.

You could run balanced to the ART, then unbalanced to the amp. Surf Cables sells 3.5mm stereo to xlr balanced cords for the Pono (as do other companies - I just happen to use and like Surf)-

Model P-02 see here:
http://www.surfcables.com/products/ponoplayer-cables

Set the Pono to balanced and plug into line 1 & 2 on the ART. That should put EQ into the signal path. I, personally, prefer the flat EQ that the Pono puts out naturally, using balanced HD600's or the direct output to my amp system. Never really messed with EQ much. Tried it to increase volume levels but didn't like the results.

Another option would be to EQ in Pono Music World before loading the files on your Pono....

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 07:59:26 pm »

Thanks for the replies and sorry for being confusing.

Let me explain...
Right now I have some balanced cables (from Surf no less) that connect to my HD650's headphone.
However, I miss the option of EQing since I've become less tolerant of bad recordings now that I've heard great recordings with the Pono.
For the last week I've been trying to EQ some flat or harsh albums in PMW but the results end up sounding quite different on the Pono...it's driving me nuts.

So now I'm thinking of going back to my original setup of the Pono into the Art EQ into the Amp
However right now the setup is an 8.5mm to RCA adapter from the Pono's single line out into two RCA cables into the Art EQ into the Amp.
(See link below)
But since the ART is a professional recording device it has four XLR & four 1/4 inch balanced inputs I would like to take advantage of.

My hopes was that I could again incorporate my great RCA cables (like I did in unbalanced mode to save money) by replacing the adapter with one that would work with the Pono in balanced mode. (I already have two RCA to 1/4 inch plug adapters for the ART EQ end.)
Unfortunately money is a huge factor for me.

Here is the adapter I currently use in unbalanced mode.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7189   

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 09:09:14 pm »

Any connection involving an RCA cable in the middle will be unbalanced.  There is no adapter that can solve that problem as RCA cables lack the necessary electrical contacts and internal wiring to transmit a balanced signal.  You can have balanced to the ART and unbalanced after the ART and still get some benefit, but in order to run balanced to the ART you will need a balanced cable from the pono all the way to the ART input, which means you can't use the RCA cables for that part of the journey.

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:01:00 pm »

Any connection involving an RCA cable in the middle will be unbalanced.  There is no adapter that can solve that problem as RCA cables lack the necessary electrical contacts and internal wiring to transmit a balanced signal.  You can have balanced to the ART and unbalanced after the ART and still get some benefit, but in order to run balanced to the ART you will need a balanced cable from the pono all the way to the ART input, which means you can't use the RCA cables for that part of the journey.

Thanks.

Can what I need be found at a musical instrument store or a place like Monoprice?
IOW~what is the cheapest way to achieve a balanced connection between my Pono and the Art EQ?

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 12:07:03 pm »

If you're handy with a soldering iron the type of cord you need is available on eBay or Amazon starting at about 6 bucks each (you'll need two). Just do a search for "xlr cable to 3.5mm".

NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO RE-SOLDER THE XLR CONNECTOR TO THE SPECIFICATIONS SHOWN ON TECHNICAL SHEET 2 ON THE PONO KNOWLEDGE SITE. THESE CORDS WILL NOT WORK ON THE PONO AS DELIVERED. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD BRICK YOUR PONO (OR WORSE!!!).

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 01:34:35 pm »

If you're handy with a soldering iron the type of cord you need is available on eBay or Amazon starting at about 6 bucks each (you'll need two). Just do a search for "xlr cable to 3.5mm".

NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO RE-SOLDER THE XLR CONNECTOR TO THE SPECIFICATIONS SHOWN ON TECHNICAL SHEET 2 ON THE PONO KNOWLEDGE SITE. THESE CORDS WILL NOT WORK ON THE PONO AS DELIVERED. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD BRICK YOUR PONO (OR WORSE!!!).

Cheers 8!

So I take it there isn't an adapter for Pono's wonky output in balanced mode.

Sorry for being so dense (my high blood pressure medicine makes me a little confused) but do I just need to only re-solder the Pono 3.5mm end?

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 09:31:43 am »

Cheers 8!

So I take it there isn't an adapter for Pono's wonky output in balanced mode.

Sorry for being so dense (my high blood pressure medicine makes me a little confused) but do I just need to only re-solder the Pono 3.5mm end?

You will need to change the connections inside the xlr plug to conform to the specs on the Pono tech bulletin.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:02:16 am »

I think you should post this on the Pono forum and get their advice before you try it.  I recall something about the risk of possible damage to the player, but I don't remember where I read it.

BrianKW

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 12:56:34 pm »

You will need to change the connections inside the xlr plug to conform to the specs on the Pono tech bulletin.

Thanks, 8!
Pages: [1]   Go Up