INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roon and MC20  (Read 5518 times)

PNCD1

• Recent member
Roon and MC20
« on: September 01, 2015, 10:42:40 am »

Does anyone have any experience setting up Roon and MC20 to work together?
I use MC20 with a nearfield powered speaker setup or into the main system using DNLA.
Roon does not use DNLA so I hoped that WDM would work for Roon then I would control the actual output in MC20.
I have had no success in doing this.  Can anyone offer any guidance?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Roon and MC20
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:18:37 am »

They have a thread on the WDM on their forum ... you probably should look there IMO

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 08:32:19 pm »

I have set up Roon on my PC to feed into the WDM driver. I am getting the usual stuttering and delays that others have noted when using the WDM driver for Roon and other programs.  Perhaps more fiddling with settings will get this to work well.

MikeO

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 09:51:33 am »

I got a 60 day demo of Roon when I bought an Audioquest DAC . I am about half way through ...

It uses its own server technology so DNLA is out, unless your DAC, Renderer , end Point is "Roon Ready" the best you can hope for is AirPlay which drops everything to 44.1.

I depends in essence on a PC or Roon Ready Player wired direct your DAC so My Cambridge Audio CXN will not really figure. If you do this it works fine

The iPad app is a image of the desktop with its glam info , but it does not act as a streamer to "This Device" (like JRemote does) it is simply a remote to another renderer. I did use it with a Sony Vaio Tablet and the Audioquest and that worked OK

My opening impression was WOW its really a  superb looking UI and simply oozing lots of info about Artists , Albums Classical Works etc,  but then try and find something, it relies very heavily on the search engine to find stuff, none of the MC navigational trees etc. Also it treats each CD as an "Album" so a Beethoven Piano Sonata Set shows up as 8 Albums each with  the same artwork, with no further info as to what disc is which so trying to get to a work is a bit of a mission.

When you find a track yes you get loads of related info and lots of links to other performances of that work but it is not that easy to find a track amongst my 60k tracks unless I am being dumb.

I am sure it will have loads of fans but at $120 annually or  $ 500 for a life membership I doubt I will be one of them  ;D

Mike

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 07:47:38 am »

I don't understand this.  MC plays everything.  Roon offers no advantages. why do people want to use them in tandem?

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 03:56:45 pm »

I don't understand this.  MC plays everything.  Roon offers no advantages. why do people want to use them in tandem?

Roon has quite a different interface that some find useful. It has immediate access to metadata on artist, ensemble, and even specific albums. It also displays credits for an album, so you can find out who's playing other than the leader.

You may not be interested in what it provides, but to say it offers no advantages is not correct. It's just that the advantages are mainly in metadata and user interface, not playback abilities.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 06:23:47 pm »

I think people often miss the web links at the top of the content window.  If you select an album, you will see "Amazon AMG Images Google Wiki Youtube".  Click on those to see what metadata is available.

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 08:08:39 pm »

I think people often miss the web links at the top of the content window.  If you select an album, you will see "Amazon AMG Images Google Wiki Youtube".  Click on those to see what metadata is available.

Hi Jim--

People may indeed miss those Web links -- I know did. Now that I've found them (on the context menu) and explored them, IMO they don't approach the rich, focused information and links that Roon provides. Please don't think I'm criticizing MC -- I use it every day and wouldn't be without it. As I see it, MC provides extensive DSP, breadth of coverage (images and video, as well as audio), and flexibility in tagging and library management, all far beyond Roon.

The second thing that Roon provides (after the metadata) is a uniform UI whether one is playing audio directly to a USB DAC or over a networked connection. This is quite different from using the MC UI (which I like) via USB, but using a DLNA control point (more limited UI) with a networked renderer. I think it was quite an accomplishment for Roon to do this. If you haven't used it, you should see it -- the UI is exactly the same in local and remote operation.

The third thing that Roon provides (and this is important to many users I've talked with) is integration of Tidal as part of one's own library, along with huge improvement to the wretched native metadata of Tidal. If Tidal goes belly up, this will be moot, of course.

I don't have a dog in the fight; I license both programs. If I had to choose one, it would be -- without a moment's doubt -- JRiver Media Center. There is a lot about Roon that I like to have; but there is a lot about MC that I can't do without.
Pages: [1]   Go Up