INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume control problems with multiple sound cards  (Read 1566 times)

Streaker

• Recent member
Volume control problems with multiple sound cards
« on: September 11, 2003, 07:55:03 pm »

I have two sound cards, one (A) set as my Windows default sound card, and the other (B) used only for MC feed to my home stereo.  When I choose any of the MC Sound Output modes (wave out, direct sound, asio) and select card (B) as the output device, the sound comes out of (B) successfully but the MC volume control does nothing to (B).  It instead changes the volume of card (A), which can be seen in the windows sound control panel for card (A).  This problem has been happening on every version of MC that I have tried.

I found that if I switch the windows default sound card to (B), then the MC volume control works.  So for at least me the MC volume control only appears to control the windows default volume, not the card selected in MC.  This isn't a great workaround for me because I'd rather not have  things like the windows beep and the new mail indicator sounds coming out of my stereo system.

Is any one else having this problem?  

To determine if maybe just my system is fouled up, I tried another sound app (Musicmatch), and found that when I select (B) as the app output device with (A) as the windows default it does change the (B) volume successfully. The volume level changes in the Windows Sound Control panel for (B) too in this case, so it's not like Musicmatch is just internally attenuating the signal sent to the sound card.

Any thoughts?  

System Info:
Media Center Registered 9.1.250 -- F:\Programs\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1798 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 321 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 2.0.1.59 , Win32 Nero Aspi Library, Copyright © 1999-2003 Ahead Software AG / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: VERBATIM 321240AL           Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:32  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

sraymond

Re: Volume control problems with multiple sound ca
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 10:27:09 pm »

Streaker,

This is an old problem...  take a look at http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1048215652;start=1#1 to see my discussion of this back in March.  Unfortunately, it was met with mostly silence and I'd forgotten about it.

Scott-

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 12:12:53 am »

I'm hoping for zone specific volume control in version 10...
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Streaker

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 02:12:52 pm »

Streaker,

This is an old problem...  take a look at http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1048215652;start=1#1 to see my discussion of this back in March.  Unfortunately, it was met with mostly silence and I'd forgotten about it.

Scott-

Bummer... Can anyone from J River confirm that this behaviour is by design (MC volume only controls default Windows sound card)?  Or is it a client problem for some and for others the MC volume actually controls the selected sound card even when it is not the windows default sound card?

I've been using girder as a workaround for volume, but now I'm in the process of building an MC control/browse client for my Symbian OS phone (Nokia 3650) using MC's wonderful out-of-proc Automation facility, and it seems a shame to have to build in special volume control handling rather than using the MC Automation volume control, especially since I plan to release the executable for public use.  No biggy, just more work for me. :)

The phone client is basically adding an MC handler to the great "Bemused" application (http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~ashley/bemused/), which allows control/browsing of winamp and other sound apps over bluetooth/infrared/internet.  I'll post some more about the progress of the client in the next couple of days in a separate thread.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 02:15:57 pm »

I'm not from J River but I can confirm it. I have been waiting for another way of doing this since the beta days of MJB8.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 06:04:39 am »

I, too, am seeing this problem ... hope it gets fixed in 9.x
Pages: [1]   Go Up