INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Security for MC20?  (Read 1770 times)

new2hifi

• Recent member
Security for MC20?
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:09:13 pm »

Hi:

I have Access Key and Authentication setup in MC20. DLNA Server, its Renderer and Controller are already disabled on my MC20. However, if ANYONE on my LAN goes to Windows 7 - My Computer - Network - Media Devices - MC Instance Media Player - Right click - View device webpage - WebRemote JRiver - Playing Now;  that ANYONE has now control of my MC20.

Either I am missing a simple thing or MC player has this inherent big giant security problem on LAN.

Help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Security for MC20?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 07:12:42 am »

It should require a login and password if you have authentication set. 

If you're running Media Network, it has several servers.  That's how it works.  Shutting off DLNA doesn't turn off Media Server.  See the wiki topic on Media Network for more information.

Turn off Media Network if you don't want to provide access.

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:24 am »

or you could use the "User" function and deny access that way too I think.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 08:19:52 am »

I think part of what you may be seeing is that on web access MC typically asks for the authentication credentials, but there's a box you can check that says "remember my authentication credentials" or something to that effect.  So If you ticked that box (or left it ticked, I can't recall the default) subsequent network accesses from the same computer will go through without any request for credentials. 

To test if that's the issue try logging in from a computer you haven't used for this before and see if it asks for credentials (it should).  You may be able to "reset" things by clearing your browser cache, but I haven't tested that solution.

If you can log in to the web interface with no credentials on a computer you've never used to access the web interface before, report back, as that would be odd.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:03:25 am »

It also does not prompt for authentication if you connect to localhost. So, if you were testing this from the server machine you'll get different results.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up