INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: madVR 0.89 has some nice new features  (Read 10333 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
madVR 0.89 has some nice new features
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:46:32 am »

The latest release of madVR 0.89 has some features that I've wanted for a long time. Here is the change log:

v0.89.1
* fixed: two startup crashes with some media players

v0.89.0
* added new device "screen config" settings page
* added screen masking feature
* added support for anamorphic stretch
* added new processing "zoom control" settings page
* added automatic detection of black bars with lots of sub options
* fixed: DXVA deinterlacing sometimes produced "DXVA processing failed"
* fixed: profiles: scaling factor wasn't properly reported
* increased seek "black screen protection" to 2 seconds (formerly 1)

The ability to set zoom and shift automatically was something I've wanted in JRiver for years. Now it is possible in madVR to have automatic shift and zoom. The shift feature is very important for most of the JRiver implementations I've been involved with, but most don't ever use it.

Many people have their TV mounted too high due to a number of factors or they watch movies using a computer monitor. When watching a 2:40 aspect ratio movie, it helps a lot to have the image shifted to either the bottom (TV) or top (monitor) of the screen. MadVR can now shift the image to the bottom or top of the screen automatically!

The anamorphic stretch may also be a nice feature. Currently you have to manually specify in JRiver how you want the image stretched for each movie. It isn't very family friendly because JRiver doesn't make it easy to tag 2.40 movies. The Playback Info tag isn't easy to manually change. I'm hoping the new anamorphic stretch makes for a completely automatic viewing experience.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: madVR 0.89 has some nice new features
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:29:04 pm »

Thanks for the info, mojave !

For those who do not know, madVR info and discussion is at:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

Complete madVR changelog at:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/madVR/version-history#changelog

And, for newbies, madVR is a major part of "Red October HQ" in JRiver Media Center.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:13:21 pm »

One of the options listed in Zoom Control, but not yet implemented, is Clear Black Bars. This will greatly improve performance of most Blu-ray movies since the black bars will no longer be counted as pixels to be processed. Madshi said,

That's what the "clear black bars" option will do, once it's available. Actually it will do more: It will completely remove all pixels that are classified as belonging to a black bar, which should bring a nice performance boost. E.g. Cinemascope movies should gain around 25% performance... 

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:10:05 pm »

Hi there,

the shift feature is the BEST feature of JRiver IMHO!! (ok, it's a madVR-feature, but perfectly integrated in JRiver; thanks guys!!!) I struggeled a long time for searching for this and since I have found it, it makes my playback way easier.

Automatic shift will be the killer. That's why I knew a upgrade to 21 will be a good idea  ;) ;D

Is a shift of the subtitles also included? With the actual shift, forced subtitles are also shifted in nirvana and I haven't found the right opinion yet to move it in the active viewing area.

Regards,
Thorsten

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 05:20:50 pm »

Oh, btw: when will it be included?  ::)
Or has anyone a step-by-step-guide for a manual setup?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 05:32:09 pm »

Hendrik is all over this like a rash and has stated that MC will auto upgrade to a newer madVR build when a couple of things are worked through regarding stability. 

For those that want to play now all you need to do is download madVR from the doom9 thread and extract the contents to the MC madVR folder in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Plugins\madvr .  There is no need to "install/uninstall" anything etc.

While it is good to test and report feedback, keep in mind that it may not be stable.  If you want to revert to the build that comes with MC, just delete the madvr folder and MC will then redownload its version.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 12:58:17 pm »

Version 0.89.3 has now been released which implements most of the black bar features and fixes a few things.

madVR v0.89.3

* NNEDI3/OpenCL now uses D3D11 interop instead of D3D9 interop
* implemented most of the various missing black bar features
* added support for device profiling
* added vertical scrollbar to "profile auto select rules" edit field
* added "smoothmotion" bool value for profile rules
* fixed: sometimes video was zoomed in way too much without any reason
* fixed: black bar detection sometimes had false positives
* fixed: black bar detection sometimes unnecessarily dropped correct detection
* fixed: DXVA processing sometimes broke when stopping & starting the graph
* fixed: sub options were active even if black bar detection was off

JackDiesel

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 08:44:33 pm »

Can y'all post screenshots of your madVR settings? Would like to see what other people are running.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 11:34:02 am »

Can y'all post screenshots of your madVR settings? Would like to see what other people are running.
If you do a search of the Forum for "madVR" in subject titles, you'll find that.

However... it is not a hot rod car.   There are not settings that are "better" than other settings.  madshi has made the "best" settings as the defaults.  All the madVR settings are designed to solve problems.

So, the better method would be to post your particular problems/difficulties and then perhaps someone can suggest what to do.  Although there are few madVR settings that are different for JRiver MC21, so you can also do that on the doom9 forum link I posted above.

In general, most of the differences between madVR settings are related to the differences between the GPU power of one's graphic board.  Most of the recent madVR features are beyond the GPU power of a graphics board made prior to - roughly - 2013.

JackDiesel

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 08:08:16 pm »

If you do a search of the Forum for "madVR" in subject titles, you'll find that.

However... it is not a hot rod car.   There are not settings that are "better" than other settings.  madshi has made the "best" settings as the defaults.  All the madVR settings are designed to solve problems.

So, the better method would be to post your particular problems/difficulties and then perhaps someone can suggest what to do.  Although there are few madVR settings that are different for JRiver MC21, so you can also do that on the doom9 forum link I posted above.

In general, most of the differences between madVR settings are related to the differences between the GPU power of one's graphic board.  Most of the recent madVR features are beyond the GPU power of a graphics board made prior to - roughly - 2013.

I've gone through that thread but it is almost an overload of info. And I've noticed they talk a lot about Super-XBR but I haven't seen that option in our settings. I have an R9 270x and it has handled most of what I've thrown at it.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 09:09:42 pm »

The madVR Options Explained thread is helpful for knowing what the options do.

JRiver is still using an older version of madVR. They new versions still have a few bugs. For example I am having lots of frame drops and long present times on Windows 7 with 0.89.4 but don't have the same issue with Windows 8.

One can manually update by placing the extracted madVR folder in C:\Users\$username%\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Plugins\madvr. If something happens you can always delete the whole madVR folder and JRiver will automagically restore it the next time you play a video.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 04:59:07 pm »

Now that madVR knows the back bars and where they are located, can it return this info to JRiver? It would be nice if one could now specify that the JRiver OSD always be within the video area like what can be done with subtitles.

The new versions still have a few bugs. For example I am having lots of frame drops and long present times on Windows 7 with 0.89.4 but don't have the same issue with Windows 8.
I forgot to update this. I found that the frame drops and long present times were due to missing a few files somehow when copying the madVR folder. By the way, 0.89.11 has now been released.

Hendrik (nevcairiel) and madshi have almost mirror image post counts today in sequential posts on doom9.org. I'm probably a little weird for noticing.  :P

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 11:52:33 am »

Hendrik, any idea when the latest madVR will be included in JRiver? You said this at doom9 when asked if you had any specific probems bout madVR 89.12, "So far it seems pretty good, indeed. Will have to keep an eye on it." I'd rather show people how to implement the new features than show them how to manually install the latest madVR.

Now that madVR knows the back bars and where they are located, can it return this info to JRiver? It would be nice if one could now specify that the JRiver OSD always be within the video area like what can be done with subtitles.
I asked this question and didn't realize that it was already implemented as part of the latest madVR builds. Madshi's 89notesForDevs.pdf says,

Code: [Select]
2b) feature description
Starting with v0.89.x, if the user defines his display device in the madVR settings to be a “Digital Projector” or “CRT
Projector”, there will be an additional “screen config” settings page in the device setup. This new settings page will
allow the user to “mask off” some parts of the 16:9 projector panel to redefine the native size and AR of the screen.
This masking is then later used by madVR, but only if the media player is in fullscreen mode (doesn’t matter if it’s
exclusive or not). Masking is ignored in windowed mode. The masking is used for 2 purposes:
1) The active video rectangle is automatically repositioned and zoomed by madVR to fit into the visible screen area.
2) OSDs and subtitles are moved into the visible screen area, if madVR has an influence on that.

The OSD being moved into the visible screen area works automatically with JRiver now if the following is done in the Devices section of madVR settings:
1. Set the device type as Digital Projector. You will now have a "screen config" setup page added to the bottom of the devices menu.
2.  In screen config, check "define visible screen area by cropping masked borders" and set your top and bottom border section. If you are use a projector that is zoomed out for a 2.40 AR movie, then you are using a visible area of 1920 x 810. This means you need to crop 135 pixels from the top and bottom.
3.  Check "move OSD into active video area.
4.  Now JRiver's OSD will be in the active video area!

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 02:26:05 pm »

Hi,

I just installed the newest version with MC20 and the shifting works really well! Nice job  :)
Will test the shift of the subtitles tomorrow.

thorsten

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 02:35:36 pm »

Hi there,

just  a short update: subtitle shifting also works perfect  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up