INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simultaneous Libray Access OK?  (Read 1938 times)

Archis

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Simultaneous Libray Access OK?
« on: February 11, 2003, 04:07:33 am »

I have my main music library on one computer  and I have added a media library on another computer which references it.  I noticed that when I attempt to play a CD on the computer that references the library, MJ trys to open the MediaFile.jmd (for writing) on the referenced computer.  My concern is what happens if I have two copies of MJ running on two different computers trying to write to one MediaFile.jmd.  Will my MediaFile.jmd file get corrupted?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Simultaneous Libray Access OK?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 01:31:05 pm »

Probably (or at least some MJ component will). The MJ DB is not multiuser in the way that an MS Access DB (by default) is. So...MJ's DB is not meant to be shared with other MJ installations (or at least not concurrently).

But...
By your "I have added a media library on another computer which references it" you mean it references the individual music files, then that's OK. Actually sharing the library DB is a no-no.

10-27

Archis

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 01:09:26 am »

Thanks for the info, but now I have another question.  What's the proper procedure for having MJ on one computer be able to play files on another computer.  I have a mapped drive to the computer where my files are but the only thing that seemed to make sense was to go into library manager and "Add" a location that referenced the MediaFile.jmd on the other computer.  Once I did that I could see the files but MJ wants to write to the MediaFile.jmd, which seemed like a bad thing to me.  Is there a way to do this without acually copying the files?

Glen

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cool.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 04:33:00 am »

If I understand you correctly, then you should try using Media Server. It will allow all of the files on your one machine to be served to all other machines on the network. It seems to be the easiest way to go. Also, it allows changes to be made to the library in only one location and the slaves get updated accordingly.
Hope this helps.
Glen.

xen-uno

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 04:47:34 am »

You can go the MS way per Glenn or the way you are currently except here is the correct procedure...

Go to Tools>Import Media
In the Search criteria combo box enter either the mapped drive letter and path OR the UNC path (s:\ogg OR \\stevo\d\ogg).
Now start the import (files aren't actually copied over. The tag info is read and placed in your local MJ DB)

10-27

adealey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 04:49:52 am »

It was also unclear to me what the preferred way of doing this was.

I also abandoned pointing the MJ installation on the second machine directly at the library on the first machine because of concerns about uncoordinated updates to files.

But playlist functionality seems to be woefully inadequate and bizarre when connecting via the server so it's not a totally satisfactory solution.

Archis

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 09:21:54 am »

The import media function is what I was looking for.  It works great for what I want to do.  Thanks!

xen-uno

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2003, 11:04:47 am »

That's about the only disadvantage of Media Server...client playlist creation and saving. If you do all the creating/saving/file editing on the Server...then your client will see all of that and no de-synchronization will occur.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up