INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Hanging When Using MakeMKV  (Read 2679 times)

elprice7345

• World Citizen
MC Hanging When Using MakeMKV
« on: September 09, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »

I rip my blu-ray discs using MakeMKV on a Win7 x64 system.

I run DVDFab Passkey to allow MC to play my blu-ray discs and I have MC set not to autoplay any disc.

Most of the time, when I insert a blu-ray, MC clocks for a while and then returns to normal. If I have MC set to not autoplay, I wouldn't expect it to clock at all. It should ignore the disc when it's inserted.

My ripping process:
  • Exit DVDFab Passkey (MakeMKV doesn't like DVDFab Passkey)
  • Start MakeMKV
  • Insert the disc and have MakeMKV read the disc

Often, but not all the time, when MakeMKV reads a disc, MC pops to the forefront and says it's opening the disc. It stays there indefinitely and also locks the MakeMKV processing.

I have to use Task manager to force MC to close and once I do, MakeMKV continues the reading process.

MC didn't use to do this. I'm not sure what changed or when.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Hanging When Using MakeMKV
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 04:48:37 am »

Exit DVDFab Passkey (MakeMKV doesn't like DVDFab Passkey)
It's possible that this is related to the other problem.

Check Windows settings for autoplay.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 08:13:36 am »

This is extremely common behavior when two programs are both trying to read a newly inserted disk, and I get the exact same behavior you describe on multiple computers.  I don't run DVDFab, so I don't think that's causing the issue.

For instance, I get the exact same behavior with MC and MakeMKV, with MC and dBPoweramp, with makemkv and dBpoweramp, or with literally any two programs that try to read a disk at once.  For example, if I have MC and dBPoweramp open at the same time and I drop a disk in, both will "lock" for 30 to 60 seconds, and clicking on either one will throw a "program not responding" white screen type error.  Makemkv is generally better behaved, but will still be moderately non-responsive until it's finished reading. 

Unfortunately, I've not found any combination of autoplay and MC settings that stops MC from trying to read a disk (MC is set to "do nothing" etc.), and I've spent a fair bit of time tinkering.  MC appears to always try and read the disk no matter what.  I've found no way to avoid this entirely, but generally my experience is that if I wait long enough and avoid clicking on either of the competing programs, all programs will unlock. 

The only sure fire way to avoid the issue is to only run one program trying to access a disk when the disk is inserted at the same time. 

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 11:20:55 am »

While MC does not lock up for me, I can find no setting that will prevent MC from trying to read an inserted DVD, even though I have "Do Nothing" selected also.

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:33:22 pm »

Check Windows settings for autoplay
Thanks @JimH!

I thought I had all of the Autoplay settings turned off, but somehow the Autoplay Blu-ray disc movie had gotten turned on.

Turned off now and haven't had the problem since. Sorry for not checking that before posting.  :P

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 06:40:55 pm »

Thanks.  That's good to hear.  No problem with the question though.  Autoplay is a little tricky.
Pages: [1]   Go Up