Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freeze  (Read 5907 times)

TigerNightmare

• Recent member
Freeze
« on: September 11, 2015, 09:05:09 am »

Is this going to be updated anymore? I have this version and it freezes up on me sometimes when I start a music smartlist and press Control+6 to move the display to my TV. One time, I couldn't even kill the process and had to do a hard reboot when a regular restart got stuck in the shut down process. Using Windows7 64 bit pro. I just turned logging on and will post more info if it happens again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Freeze
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:15:54 am »

There may be updates, but that doesn't seem like an MC problem.  I would guess it's a video driver problem.

TigerNightmare

• Recent member
Freeze
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 09:38:04 am »

But it didn't start happening until I got this version. The last one I used was 20.0.115. I had the same graphics driver, no crashes or issues that I'm aware of.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Freeze
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 09:47:11 am »

That something worked before and doesn't now doesn't prove where the problem is.  Bugs in drivers or any other software are sometimes triggered by only very specific conditions.

Antivirus is another possibility.

TigerNightmare

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 02:06:37 pm »

Some info I neglected to share is that the first song still plays all the way to the end, but the visualization is frozen and the interface becomes unresponsive with a Windows busy icon appearing if I try to click on anything.

I got the freeze to happen again, but the display managed to resize to my TV completely and work fine for 5-8 seconds before occurring. I killed the MC process and started it up again and it seems fine now. I think it only happens the first time I open MC after a (re)boot. I got the log file (attached), but I'm not sure how useful it is because the timestamp for when the log starts is with the new fine session and not the frozen one. If it is in there somewhere, I didn't do anything between the crash, killing the process, opening and generating the zip file.

TigerNightmare

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:24:24 am »

Just happened again, but this time without me having done anything but launch the program. It just froze on its own. This is about 2 hours after a fresh boot.

TigerNightmare

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 04:00:03 pm »

I made another log after the same thing just happened based on the same circumstances but I don't think I need to post it because it ends the same way as the one in my last post. Could it have anything to do with the TV functions? I don't have a capture/tuner card, but I do have a pair of HD Home Run tuners that are connected through ethernet on my network router. I have another program for that and don't use Media Center for TV watching/recording. If that is what's causing this, it's weird that it only happens upon first launch after a boot.

TigerNightmare

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:08:17 am »

Okay, I've been waiting a while for a response to this to see if there's anything I can do based on my end if there aren't going to be anymore bug fixes. Right now, MC20 is stuck as an unkillable process that only shows a busy icon. This kind of behavior from this bug is rare, but it's pretty annoying and can potentially make it impossible to use if it becomes an unkillable process every time I reboot and try to use it. Please help.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 10:23:20 am »

I went back to version 20.0.115 long ago.  You can download the older version that worked.  The updates since then weren't much to speak of (mostly TV stuff) and you actually have more function audio-wise in the 115 version.

Also make sure to stop the automatic updates after you do.

BradATIMA

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 11:52:56 am »

In both logs, it looks like the CWatchFoldersThread starts but never finishes. It looks like it might be getting stuck on one folder in particular. What you could try doing is configuring auto-import and removing the folder "C:\Junk Drawer\photos\". Something about that folder might be causing the freeze.

TigerNightmare

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 11:27:29 am »

Not really an option. I haven't really bothered with tagging my photos yet, but I have almost 10 GB worth of pictures in there (and growing) and being able to organize them is something that'd help me get my money's worth. Also, weird that it only happens the first time launching after a fresh boot. It's guaranteed to happen and it may or may not make the app unusable until another reboot, but I don't understand why checking for new files when there aren't any new files would have this kind of affect.

I'll roll back to 20.0.115 as a last resort. For now, I stopped using a portable install, which is just broken out of the box and requires a normal install anyhow and I've had nothing but problems trying to use it. Will report back if the problem persists.

TigerNightmare

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 04:00:53 pm »

Well, as sure as death and taxes, the freeze happened after a fresh boot again. Moving away from a portable install didn't change anything. After killing and restarting MC20, I added 417 photos to the folder and it just quietly and quickly added them with no issues. I really don't know why folder watch importing would have issues only on a fresh boot but would otherwise function normally in every other instance.

BradATIMA

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 09:00:25 am »

Sorry for the late reply. I'm stumped on this issue. Have you tried turning off auto-import to see if the freezes stop? You can still import files manually. It still seems like Media Center is getting stuck on a file that it doesn't like. Something else you could try doing (if you haven't already) is setting up folder exclusions for your media folders and Media Center, if you're using anti-virus software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up