INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My continued problem and a question  (Read 9278 times)

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
My continued problem and a question
« on: September 12, 2015, 01:55:46 pm »

First, my apologies if this should have been posted as a part of my previous thread somewhat on this topic.
For those of you whom I have pestered, I have a question:
As you know, my music files (identical libraries on Windows and Linux partitons) are properly labeled with artist, album, and genre with my ancient Media Jukebox 8.400 and my Windows MC21, but are not handled this way with my Linux MC21.

The question:  Is there any way I can "move" these files from Windows MC21 to Linux MC21?

I've tried copying and pasting the music folder files from the Windows partition to the Linux music folder which did not solve the problem.

So I'm still seeking solutions.

Thanks,
tlcmd

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: My continued problem and a question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:09:07 pm »

First, in MC21 on Windows, make a library backup. Store it somewhere you can access from your Linux OS.

In MC21 for Linux, restore the library backup. This will transfer over all of your metadata but the paths to your files will not be correct.

Select all of the files in MC21 and enter the Rename, Move, and Copy tool.

In the tool, in the first drop down select 'update database to point to a new location'

Select only the "Find & Replace" checkbox and replace the Windows path with the appropriate Linux path (i.e. find: C:\Users\user\music, replace with: /home/user/music)

This assumes of course that your music files are accessible in Linux. Linux can read ntfs partitions with some extra tools so you shouldn't need to keep multiple music libraries.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:00:05 am »

BryanC,
THANK YOU!!!!! IT WORKED!!!!!
After seemingly months of trying to fix this problem and countless requests here on the forum and to the staff at JRiver, your solution fixed it.
My MC21 (Linux) now works properly with all music files properly done!!

tlcmd

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
One more thing. My continued problem and a question
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:51:06 am »

BryanC,
It looks like everything is right, but it won't play, probably becasue of my needing to reset the path to the files. How do I do this:

In the tool, in the first drop down select 'update database to point to a new location'

Select only the "Find & Replace" checkbox and replace the Windows path with the appropriate Linux path (i.e. find: C:\Users\user\music, replace with: /home/user/music)

In the "Tools" in the player, I do not have the option you described. Would you please walk me through the instructions above which I have copied from you previous note and italicized? I'm obviously missing something which is quite obvious!

Thank you!
tlcmd

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 08:44:53 am »

Select all of the files in the library. Right-click->Library Tools->Rename, Move, & Copy Files.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:34:09 pm »

BryanC,
I'm lost!! I've attempted everything as you suggested and I have the MC21 Linux properly displaying everything properly (as it does in MC21 Windows), but when I click "Play" I get a message that the file cannot be found. I suspect I've somehow NOT changed the path properly.
In my Windows partition, I have C drive with my music folder under  Dick under documents & Settings (C:\documents&settings\dick\music "I think"), but in my Linux partition, I have /home/dick/music

How do I fix this?

All my files are backed up on an external HDD.

Although I've been running Linux for several years, I'm still only semi-literate in it and, as you can tell from my previous posts on INTERACT, still a klutz. Thank heavens those of you on this forum have the patience of Job. 

Any help at this point would really be appreciated.
Thank you again. BTW, I'm reasonably intelligent as I do have an MD degree and practiced medicine for 30 years. But I'm in over my head here.

tlcmd

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »

Paths on linux are case sensitive!
Perhaps your music directory is Music ??

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 02:55:52 pm »

Bob,
It indeed is Music. I'm still lost. How do I reset the path since I am not sure what my Windows path is? I just guessed at it in my previous post based on my windows music folder being in the folder Dick which is in the Documents & Settings folder on C drive.

Or is there a way to simply go in "somewhere" and change the path to /home/dick/Music (I got the case right here).

Thanks, it's always the little things that are obvious which you don't see.

tlcmd

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 03:19:59 pm »

tlcmd, are you sure the NTFS vol is mounted?  For example, the NTFS vol could be mounted on /home/mike/Edrive (check your /etc/fstab).

From there, for example, the path for all of the files in MC(linux) is "/home/mike/Edrive/Media/My Music/".

Of course, in Windows, the drive is "E:", so the path in MC(Windows) is "E:\Media\My Music\"
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 03:50:05 pm »

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I do not need the C drive (Windows) as I have both a Windows Partition and a Linux Partition, but my Linux partition has the Music folder on it also (sort of a dual back up). So, MC21 for Linux accesses the Music folder in the Linux partition and MC21 (Windows) accesses the music folder on the Windows partition. I know it is redundancy, but with all the extra space on my HDD...
But I have tried letting my Linux MC21 accessing my music folder in my Windows partition and my external HDD with the same result.

I believe if I can set the path for my Linux MC 21 to /home/dick/Music it should work properly.

At least now I have the music files, artists and albums and genres set up properly in my Linux MC21. I've got a 2 TiB HDD, and even with everything I've got on my computer, it is probably more than 80% free space. My Music folder is 42 Gigs.

To answer the unasked question: This computer came with Windows 8.1 and as my wife is wedded to Windows on both her laptop and desktop, I am trying to keep up with Windows for when she needs help.
Again,
thanks for the input.
tlcmd

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 03:59:56 pm »

I believe if I can set the path for my Linux MC 21 to /home/dick/Music it should work properly.

Okay, but is that where the audio files are located?  If so, then what's the problem?  Just follow BryanC's steps on getting the file/rename set.

Maybe try just one file first to make sure, when that's verified found and playing, then do the rest.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 04:26:32 pm »

Mike,
That is where the audio files are. My problem is that I do not know the actual path I currently have in Linux MC21 in order to change it to /home/dick/Music

I got lost in Reply #4  Is there a way to just reset the path without going through the find and replace?

Help, please
Thanks
tlcmd

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 04:40:58 pm »

[F6] is your friend, learn to love it.  IMO, greatest tool MC has. ;)

Not sure what you're afraid of, especially since you have a backup of your lib and all of your files on another partition.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 05:04:25 pm »

Mike,
I'm not afraid of losing anything since I have the backups, but I cannot seem to find and replace the path correctly. I'm trying to go from C:\Users\Dick\music  to /home/dick/Music with 'find and replace' under library tools (F6) Rename, Move, and copy files using 'find and replace (the box at the lower left side of the page).

I get C:\Users\Dick\Music <invalid change>

Help, please. I've got to be doing something really stupid.

tlcmd

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 05:30:37 pm »

Well, can you see the preview?  It shows you the original and the new.  So, whatever the original is, that's the "find what" part and then the "replace with" part is your linux path.  I mean, really, that's all there is to it unless I'm missing something.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 05:38:26 pm »

Well, can you see the preview?  It shows you the original and the new.  So, whatever the original is, that's the "find what" part and then the "replace with" part is your linux path.  I mean, really, that's all there is to it unless I'm missing something.

Edit:  Recommended Reading

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 05:50:15 pm »

Mike,
The "Preview" was what I sent with the <invalid change> note.
Here's another weird thing: when I open my Music Folder in my Linux Partition, then open an album, then a music file and then open that file with MC21 (Linux), it plays with the changed filename. But when I close it and go out of MC21, then reopen MC21, it has changed back to the previous filename and will not play. As I said, I'm lost. I suspect that I'm missing something, because I'm doing what you and Bob have instructed me to do. How can I help you to help me??
tlcmd

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 12:05:08 pm »

Thanks to all for the assistance. I'm not up and runing yet, but much further than before. However, I have a dislocated shoulder and cannot spend too much time on the computer (which I did yesterday and paid for it last night!) so will be off line today and get back to it tomorrow.
Thanks again,
tlcmd

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 09:58:53 am »

A huge thank you all who contributed toward the solution to my problem with Linux MC21. I now have it up and running correctly. My shoulder improved enough yesterday to allow me the time and stamina to work through the solutions and problems and it is now fixed. Again, thank you to everyone who contributed. Obviously, it was my GIGO that was 90% of the problem.

Nick-S

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 03:16:24 am »

What was your solution for getting rid of the "<invalid change>"-Preview? I am unable to change the path to my files. MC always says  "<invalid change>" in the Preview column when I try to change the path.

blgentry

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 08:24:00 am »

I've experienced this "invalid change" under OS X also.  I think MC for Linux and Mac is programmed to reject anything with a backslash as a replacement character pattern.  Just guessing.

My solution in my experiments with replacing windows paths, was to use auto import and Fix Broken Links = YES.  That let MC replace all of the paths by itself without using Rename, Move, and Copy at *all*.

Brian.

SecondJon

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 02:46:00 am »

My solution in my experiments with replacing windows paths, was to use auto import and Fix Broken Links = YES.  That let MC replace all of the paths by itself without using Rename, Move, and Copy at *all*.

Brian.

Thank you! I'm experimenting with building a Linux home server as a media and backup server. I just did a library backup from a windows PC, moved the external hard drive to the linux server, and couldn't figure this out.

I'm now running an auto-import of one of the major folders with Fix Broken Links, and am watching it update them al now.

Thanks much for posting this. I'll do the same for all my import folders soon.

hsnopi

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 11:34:21 am »

So I was going to build an HTPC but this may solve all my problems. How does one rip DVD's to the QNAP though? Or do you have to rip them elsewhere and move them over?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 12:32:45 pm »

Rip on another machine.  Set the Location in MC to use the QNAP for storage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up