INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot uninstall Media Center 17 after Win 10 upgrade  (Read 11318 times)

Langers

Cannot uninstall Media Center 17 after Win 10 upgrade
« on: September 12, 2015, 06:38:37 pm »

I've just upgraded to Win 10 and wanted to uninstall MC 17 prior to installing MC 21. However, the uninstall fails with a dll error.

Error message is
"There was a problem starting d:\Users\................\Temp\JRMediaUninstall.dll
A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

The file is present in the stated directory. I have also tried reinstalling MC 17, but this doesn't help.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot uninstall Media Center 17 after Win 10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 06:43:51 pm »

It's a Win10 thing.  Reinstall MC17, then uninstall.  You can find it on our wiki in the "Old Versions" topic.

Andrew Koransky

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 04:33:36 pm »

I've tried this to no avail.  Re-install, followed by an uninstall results in the exact same behavior as described above.  Help?!  FYI... I've purchased the upgrade to 21.

Andrew

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 12:57:51 am »

Try installing the last build of MC17 first, and then uninstalling it.  You can find it in "Old Versions" on our wiki.

Andrew Koransky

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:36:42 am »

I tried that too.  The installer I had was the latest, MediaCenter170189.exe.  By the way, this is a fresh Win 10 x64 Professional install with all updates applied.  I tried turning off Windows Defender too, but it did not help.  I still get the same error.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Andrew

Andrew Koransky

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »

Anything else I can do here?  Can you provide me with manual uninstall instructions?  Or do I just need to live win MC17 installed?!

Thanks...

Andrew

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 02:29:42 am »

I'm not a Windows 10 user yet, so forgive me if the functions I mention are not in Windows 10. I'm assuming that you did an in place upgrade to Windows 10.

Have you tried turning off all Windows security functions (within reason, defender plus any others that can be turned off), running MC17 first, then running the uninstaller in Windows 7 compatibility mode? Actually, set the shortcut to run in compatibility mode, and then run it as Administrator as well, using the right click method. Sometimes changing the shortcut to run as Administrator isn't enough. Nor is being logged on with an administrator account.

If MC17 won't even run on Window 10 for you, try to run it as Administrator as well, right click method. For a MC version to uninstall properly, it really needs to have been run immediately prior to the uninstall, so that it can register its set of components with Windows, so that then they will be uninstalled correctly.

I know there are a lot of underlying changes to the Windows 10 security model, so it could simply be objecting to the old MC17 DLL and stopping it from running. If you can run the uninstall in Windows 7 compatibility mode, it may allow the DLL to run.

By the way, I hope you have backed up your MC17 library, and also realise that you may need to install intermediate versions of MC, import the MC17 library, backup the library from the new version, and then install the next version, import, backup, etc. I'm not sure which intermediate versions you would need to install, but if the library format has changed, you need to go through the process to progressively update your library. I'm pretty sure MC21 will not successfully import an MC17 library and convert it all correctly. You should check each version as you go as well, to make sure the conversion worked.

Unless, of course, you are just starting your library from scratch in MC21.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Andrew Koransky

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 04:19:36 pm »

I'm not a Windows 10 user yet, so forgive me if the functions I mention are not in Windows 10. I'm assuming that you did an in place upgrade to Windows 10.

No... this is a fresh install.  I installed MC17 before deciding to upgrade to MC21. MC17 installs and runs fine.

Have you tried turning off all Windows security functions (within reason, defender plus any others that can be turned off), running MC17 first, then running the uninstaller in Windows 7 compatibility mode? Actually, set the shortcut to run in compatibility mode, and then run it as Administrator as well, using the right click method. Sometimes changing the shortcut to run as Administrator isn't enough. Nor is being logged on with an administrator account.

Just tried this... I turned off UAC, rebooted, turned off Defender, created a shortcut to the uninstaller, set it to launch in Win 7 mode with administrator permissions.  Still see the exact same behavior.

If MC17 won't even run on Window 10 for you, try to run it as Administrator as well, right click method. For a MC version to uninstall properly, it really needs to have been run immediately prior to the uninstall, so that it can register its set of components with Windows, so that then they will be uninstalled correctly.

It runs fine...

I know there are a lot of underlying changes to the Windows 10 security model, so it could simply be objecting to the old MC17 DLL and stopping it from running. If you can run the uninstall in Windows 7 compatibility mode, it may allow the DLL to run.

Yeah, I tried this too.  It still doesn't work... same exact error message.

Unless, of course, you are just starting your library from scratch in MC21.

Yep, this is what I am doing.

Thanks for trying to help.  If you could provide me with manual uninstallation instructions, I'd be happy to follow them.

Thanks!

Andrew

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:51:39 pm »

If you could provide me with manual uninstallation instructions, I'd be happy to follow them.

Sorry, I'm just a user like yourself, so I don't have an official or unofficial way to do a manual uninstall.

Basically though, it would involve deleting everything you can find off the disk, and out of the Registry. Fraught with danger, that. But it may be the only option. Backup, backup, backup first!  8)

Look in;
C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River
C:\Users\[UserID]\Documents\JRiver
C:\Program Files (x86)\J River
C:\Windows\System32\MC17.exe
and everywhere else for "JRiver" !

But also, have you tried running the uninstall in Windows safe mode?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Andrew Koransky

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 05:17:10 pm »

Sorry, I'm just a user like yourself, so I don't have an official or unofficial way to do a manual uninstall.

Basically though, it would involve deleting everything you can find off the disk, and out of the Registry. Fraught with danger, that. But it may be the only option.

Sheesh... without an official list of uninstall instructions, maybe I'll just live with it installed I guess.  I am pretty sure that MC probably registers COM objects or worse, so it would be an extremely tedious registry search to rid my system of all MC objects. In the end, I guess it isn't doing any harm other than taking up disk space.

But I would say that you might see some other folks running into the same issue as Windows 10 gains traction.

Thanks again for the help.

Andrew

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 05:33:18 pm »

You're welcome for my less than satisfying help.  :D

MC certainly registers COM objects, so yes it would be tedious. No one from JRiver has jumped in to fix the problem though, so it would be the only option.

The only problem with leaving such an old version of MC installed, and then installing MC21, is that MC21 might try to use some of the MC17 Registry settings. That has been a bit of an issue for some people, particularly when the Registry settings have been corrupted.

But just take that on notice, and check all setting once MC21 is installed. Oh, and don't switch between the versions, as at each start of a different version MC will attempt to re-register its own version of those COM objects!

Did you try Safe Mode?
Pages: [1]   Go Up