INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about DSP Studio and Peak Level  (Read 2408 times)

larryrup

• World Citizen
Question about DSP Studio and Peak Level
« on: September 16, 2015, 12:24:54 pm »

In the DSP Studio I have Clip Protection enabled.  What is a good Peak Level reading?  Without any db filter set, it peaks at about 5%.  If I enable a db filter to boast volume, it jumps to a peak of about 19%.

Ideally where should the peak percentage be?  Is it comfortably under 100% or closer to 0%?

Thanks much,

LarryRup
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Question about DSP Studio and Peak Level
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 12:35:29 pm »

The peak level will occasionally hit 100% for most movies or music when JRiver's Internal Volume level is also at 100%. There is no such thing as a "good Peak Level reading" when using Internal Volume*. If your volume is turned down, then the maximum peak will also be lower. Music and movies can have content from 0-100% during playback when the volume is at maximum.

If setting any Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) filters, then it is best to make sure you don't exceed a peak level of 100%. You can do this by turning off your amp or receiver, play something in JRiver with the Internal Volume at 100%, and see if your peak levels exceed 100%. If using a receiver, you will probably need to set output to Null Output in Options > Audio > Audio Device in order for playback to work during testing.

*There are exceptions when dealing with other upstream audio gear, but that happens mostly in pro audio settings and isn't really relevant here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up