INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: F6 rename functionality  (Read 1599 times)

pcgenius

• Recent member
F6 rename functionality
« on: September 21, 2015, 03:57:49 pm »

I was renaming a bunch of files and did a search and replace. I searched for a space and replaced it with a period. However, since the folder name also had a space in it, it also changed the name of the folder. To me, this is unexpected. Is this by design?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: F6 rename functionality
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 04:38:04 pm »

The answer is yes and no.  Yes, the Find and Replace part of RM&C is designed to work on the entire path name of each file.  Why?  Because it's very useful for doing things like moving a large group of files from C:\Music to M:\some\big\path\to\Music .  It can change any part of the path name, depending on what you put into find and replace.

Unfortunately you've found kind of a negative side effect of this behavior.  If you *just* did this, you can press undo (control-Z) and it should reverse the changes.  But that only works for some short time after you use the tool.

I could help you write a new expression to change all of the periods in the path names to spaces if you'd like.  Or I can help you develop another expression that will *only* operate on the file names and change all of the spaces in the file name only to periods.

Let me know what state your library is in and where you want to get to and I can probably help you fix it.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up