INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-install JRiver/iTunes and Music files  (Read 22933 times)

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
Re: Re-install JRiver/iTunes and Music files
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2015, 08:18:33 pm »

However, on the new laptop, in MC, all songs listed in the format as below...

C:\Users\Steve Mnty\Music
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2015, 08:19:01 pm »

Don't use any parenthesis or descriptive names like OS (C:).  Just use the literal drive letters as I've been typing. 

If your old music was in C:\Users\Steve Mnty\Music
and your new music is in:  D:\My Music\

Then you should have:

Find:  C:\Users\Steve Mnty\Music\
Replace:  D:\My Music\

Please go find ONE music file on your D: drive .  Find it's full path, so you can verify it.  Go find that same file in your MC library.  It should show the path starting with C:\Users.... .  Now, run the Rename, Move, and Copy tool on that ONE file.  Do the find and replace as we've discussed.  BEFORE you press OK, look at the preview pane.  You should see the new file name and it should match, EXACTLY, the file path of the music file you just found on your D: drive.

Does that make sense?  That's what we are trying to do:  Update all of the old paths so that they point to the paths on the new drive.

Brian.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2015, 08:44:57 pm »

Don't use any parenthesis or descriptive names like OS (C:).  Just use the literal drive letters as I've been typing.  

If your old music was in C:\Users\Steve Mnty\Music
and your new music is in:  D:\My Music\

Then you should have:

Find:  C:\Users\Steve Mnty\Music\
Replace:  D:\My Music\

Please go find ONE music file on your D: drive .  Find it's full path, so you can verify it.  Go find that same file in your MC library.  It should show the path starting with C:\Users.... .  Now, run the Rename, Move, and Copy tool on that ONE file.  Do the find and replace as we've discussed.  BEFORE you press OK, look at the preview pane.  You should see the new file name and it should match, EXACTLY, the file path of the music file you just found on your D: drive.

Does that make sense?  That's what we are trying to do:  Update all of the old paths so that they point to the paths on the new drive.

Brian.

I am not feeling very smart right now :-[
How do I find the full path of a music file on my D: drive?
The first time I attempted to update an album, the second time I just tried one song from a different album without success so far.
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

blgentry

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2015, 09:03:48 pm »

Maybe someone who's good with Windows Explorer can step in now and help out?  It's hard for me to be specific since I don't use Windows.

What is the file name, shown in MC (in the filename column) of the file you just updated? That might give us a clue as to what needs to be changed.

Brian.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2015, 09:11:20 pm »

After the update to point to a new location it changed from:  

C:\Users\Steve Mnty\Music\Artist\Album\Artist - song title.flac

to:

D:\My Music\Artist\Album\Artist - song title.flac
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2015, 09:57:53 pm »

Still unsuccessful.

"Something went wrong with playback.
The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on disk"
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

blgentry

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2015, 10:12:50 pm »

After the update to point to a new location it changed from:  

C:\Users\Steve Mnty\Music\Artist\Album\Artist - song title.flac

to:

D:\My Music\Artist\Album\Artist - song title.flac

Go look in that exact location on the D: drive.  Is the file there? Or is it in a different folder?  I'm guessing it's probably in a different folder; but I'm just guessing.

Brian.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2015, 10:39:28 pm »

Go look in that exact location on the D: drive.  Is the file there? Or is it in a different folder?  I'm guessing it's probably in a different folder; but I'm just guessing.

Brian.

All the music files are in D: drive and appear to coincide with the files shown on MC. Also, for what it's worth, I can double click on the songs in D:\My Music, and MC will play the song...

I still haven't found a way to show the exact wording, structure etc of song files on the D drive :(
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2015, 10:48:06 pm »

Is it possible for someone to take over my computer remotely in an attempt to resolve this issue?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2015, 06:58:55 am »

Could you get local help?  If you're in the U.S., Best Buy's Geek Squad could probably do it for you.

blgentry

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2015, 07:43:02 am »

I still haven't found a way to show the exact wording, structure etc of song files on the D drive

Are you running Windows 7?  It looks like you can hold down Shift, then right click on a file in Windows Explorer and you'll get an option to "copy as path".  You should then be able to paste that path here in the forum so we can see it.  Reference:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff678296.aspx

That will show us the path name on disk.  Now, to compare that to MC, we need to know where MC thinks the file is.  Go find your song in MC.  Show the file name if it's not already there.  It's usually the last column on the right.  If not, right click on the headers and find filename.  Click on filename to show it as a column.  Once you have the filename in a column, click on it's name until you get it into an edit mode, where it's highlighted.  Press Control-C to copy the filename.  Then escape out of that highlighted text so you don't accidentally change it.  Now you can paste *that* path name here also.

I'm guessing we're going to see a difference between where MC thinks the files are, and where they are located on disk.  Then we'll just adjust one or the other and it will all work.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2015, 08:09:57 am »

This is getting wild

At this point i would make a new library.  It does work every time

File-library management

Create a new library. 
Set auto Import to look at d:
Done.

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2015, 11:39:48 am »

Are you running Windows 7?  It looks like you can hold down Shift, then right click on a file in Windows Explorer and you'll get an option to "copy as path".  You should then be able to paste that path here in the forum so we can see it.  "D:\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Mtv Unplugged\10,000 Maniacs - Hey Jack Kerouac.flac"

That will show us the path name on disk.  Now, to compare that to MC, we need to know where MC thinks the file is.  Go find your song in MC.  Show the file name if it's not already there.  It's usually the last column on the right.  If not, right click on the headers and find filename.  Click on filename to show it as a column.  Once you have the filename in a column, click on it's name until you get it into an edit mode, where it's highlighted.  Press Control-C to copy the filename.  Then escape out of that highlighted text so you don't accidentally change it.  Now you can paste *that* path name here also.
   C:\Users\Steve Mnty\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Mtv Unplugged\10,000 Maniacs - Hey Jack Kerouac.flac

Hmm, looks like from explore, it should be D:\Music, I put replace as D:\My Music?

Are you running Windows 7?  It looks like you can hold down Shift, then right click on a file in Windows Explorer and you'll get an option to "copy as path".  You should then be able to paste that path here in the forum so we can see it.  "D:\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Mtv Unplugged\10,000 Maniacs - Hey Jack Kerouac.flac"

That will show us the path name on disk.  Now, to compare that to MC, we need to know where MC thinks the file is.  Go find your song in MC.  Show the file name if it's not already there.  It's usually the last column on the right.  If not, right click on the headers and find filename.  Click on filename to show it as a column.  Once you have the filename in a column, click on it's name until you get it into an edit mode, where it's highlighted.  Press Control-C to copy the filename.  Then escape out of that highlighted text so you don't accidentally change it.  Now you can paste *that* path name here also.
   C:\Users\Steve Mnty\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Mtv Unplugged\10,000 Maniacs - Hey Jack Kerouac.flac

Hmm, looks like from explore, it should be D:\Music, I put replace as D:\My Music?

Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2015, 12:06:12 pm »

Alright!

I replaced 3 different structures now, HDtracks downloads, ripped CD's and iTunes downloads and it works with "Replacing" with D:\Music! I have sweet glorious Music!

However, I attempted to go back and fix the tracks I mistakenly replaced with D:\My Music, and tried D:\Music, and it wouldn't take?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:41 pm »

In addition, in the column on the far left where the album art is supposed to be, all of the tracks have had a red circle with a white horizontal "minus" sign in them. Now the songs I have changed to D:\Music and play now, have a music "note" in them. But still no album art.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2015, 12:21:16 pm »

Should I be able to: Edit > Select All > F6 > then click OK to replace All my files now?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2015, 01:01:29 pm »

Whoo, Whoo!

This worked!: Edit > Select All > F6 > then click OK to replace All my files, and all is well. All music files I tried, play now, and MOST of the album art populated in.

So now onto step 8.

I want you to know I very much appreciate all the help everybody has given with this issue, and thanks for your patience and putting up with my ignorance in this matter!!

Step 8 is just reversing a few of the settings we changed in step 5 and some minor additions.

First, let's talk about auto import.  You probably know that this is a way for MC to find music you add to your hard drive without having to tell MC anything.  If it goes in the directory structure you specify, MC will find it automatically and import it.  Auto Import.

The question is, where are you going to put new music?  Presumably in D:\My Music\ .  If that's correct, then you should set that up as an auto import directory.

Step 8 broken out as much as I can think of right now, but I might be missing something:

1.  Set up auto import on the directory or directories you will be using to put new music in.   Check the box for Audio as types to import.  If you haven't already removed all of the old auto import directories, this is the time and place to do it.  You should only have your one auto import directory left here when you're done.
2.  Turn Fix Broken Links back to the default setting:  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Fix Broken Links > Yes (protect files on missing drives)
3.  Turn auto import back on:  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > run auto import in background > (Checked)

You might want to test auto import sooner than later, just to make sure it works.  Up to you.

I think that's everything, but I could have missed something.

Once again, good luck.  :)

Brian.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2015, 01:14:27 pm »

Check the box for Audio as types to import.  If you haven't already removed all of the old auto import directories, this is the time and place to do it.  You should only have your one auto import directory left here when you're done.

Would you be able to describe this in a little more detail? ie, the path to get there. If it is Tools > Librarys & Folders > Configure Auto Import > under Folders do you want me to remove all entries? And do I have to do anything at this point to make sure "You should only have your one auto import directory left here when you're done"?

Step 8 is just reversing a few of the settings we changed in step 5 and some minor additions.

First, let's talk about auto import.  You probably know that this is a way for MC to find music you add to your hard drive without having to tell MC anything.  If it goes in the directory structure you specify, MC will find it automatically and import it.  Auto Import.

The question is, where are you going to put new music?  Presumably in D:\My Music\ .  If that's correct, then you should set that up as an auto import directory.

Step 8 broken out as much as I can think of right now, but I might be missing something:

1.  Set up auto import on the directory or directories you will be using to put new music in.   Check the box for Audio as types to import.  If you haven't already removed all of the old auto import directories, this is the time and place to do it.  You should only have your one auto import directory left here when you're done.

2.  Turn Fix Broken Links back to the default setting:  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Fix Broken Links > Yes (protect files on missing drives)

3.  Turn auto import back on:  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > run auto import in background > (Checked)

You might want to test auto import sooner than later, just to make sure it works.  Up to you.

I think that's everything, but I could have missed something.

Once again, good luck.  :)

Brian.
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2015, 01:26:12 pm »

Within that Folders file, there is now 3  D:\ Folders.

D:\Music\ [System Music folder]
D:\Pictures\ [System Images folder]
D:\Videos\ [System Videos folder]

And a bunch of C:\ stuff

C:\Drivers\audio\
C:\Drivers\video\
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\images\
Etc, Etc, Etc...

Do I want to keep the D:\ Folders?

Check the box for Audio as types to import.  If you haven't already removed all of the old auto import directories, this is the time and place to do it.  You should only have your one auto import directory left here when you're done.

Would you be able to describe this in a little more detail? ie, the path to get there. If it is Tools > Librarys & Folders > Configure Auto Import > under Folders do you want me to remove all entries? And do I have to do anything at this point to make sure "You should only have your one auto import directory left here when you're done"?
Desk Top:

Dedicated Room:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2015, 01:32:35 pm »

You've received a lot of good advice.  You just need to work a little on your own.  Try things with a few files before you do very many.

Re-reading the thread may also help.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up