INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New JRiver User Here...Question  (Read 2195 times)

Zeppen

New JRiver User Here...Question
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:37:05 pm »

Hey guys (and gals!)...

I just have a couple quick questions. I wasn't sure where to post this topic, but since it has to do with the JRemote to a degree, figured this was as good a place as any.

So here's the deal...I finally just got fed up with iTunes and the Apple remote and decided to give JRiver a go. I use it in a very limited sense, basically just to rip/organize my music collection of lossless files on my NAS, and to stream wirelessly to a couple locations. So I got MC installed and imported the library, got the remote going, and to start I've basically just been connecting my iPad to an Oppo dac/amp (portable), and then use a pair of Audeze LCD-X headphones.

My first question is...why does it sound so darn GOOD? I'm absolutely shocked by the audio quality...so I'm trying to figure out what is responsible here. The Oppo piece is relatively new, but I've had the headphones for a while now. Is there some reason why the JRIver software and remote would sound better than the iTunes software and apple remote?

Also, can you guys tell me if the JRemote is the "official" remote for JRiver MC? Made by the same folks and all that? Or is it a 3rd party app? And lastly, is this generally regarded as the best remote for those using iOS?

Thanks!  So far it's been money well spent on JRiver...happy to be here!

AJ

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New JRiver User Here...Question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:55:10 pm »

Wow, that's really cool to hear that the sound quality is so good for you.  :)  I'm mildly jealous of those headphones as I'm listening to my NAD HP50s...

Compared to itunes, the biggest difference is *probably* that you're listening to lossless files (FLAC).  Lossy files (AAC, MP3, etc) REMOVE around 90% of the information in the file.  So it should be no surprise that the lossless files sound so much better.  But I was surprised when I first heard the difference.

JRemote used to be made by a third party, but now JRiver owns the program, so it's developed "in house".  It's definitely official.  ...and a really nice app right?  Very pretty, very easy to use.  I think it's rather awesome.

Glad you're enjoying it all.  Music is wonderful.

Brian.

Zeppen

Re: New JRiver User Here...Question
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 08:19:19 pm »

Thanks Brian, appreciate the response!

I figured it was probably more due to the files...I'm super pleased with the results...I didn't expect this little rig would perform like this. I like it so much that I just ordered a minijack-to-RCA cable...I'm just going to run the line out on the Oppo dac into my preamp on my main speaker rig and use the iPhone as my controller...the magnepans will love the JRiver tunes, I'm sure.

I've not heard those NAD phones, but I know they have been getting rave reviews!

And yes, extremely pleased with the JRemote...loads fast, very easy to navigate, LOVE that it confirms the file type at the bottom, and it's easy to switch between control of my MC vs playing via the iPhone...the apple remote no longer allows that option, which is why I was more than happy to pay $9 to have that functionality back.

All in all, it's been a fantastic choice to ditch iTunes thus far...oh, and the CD rips I've completed have been spot-on perfect, as well. Sometimes on iTunes I'd get an error on one or more of the tracks. Hasn't happened at all on MC.

Thanks!!

AJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up