INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difficulty streaming video to XBox 360  (Read 8367 times)

markgough

• Recent member
Difficulty streaming video to XBox 360
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:43:00 pm »

Apologies in advance for my ignorance but I'm very new to this. I've been using MC 20 and now MC 21 for the past 6 months for audio without problem. I can listen on my PC and stream to JRemote on my phone. I'm trying now to add video streaming to my XBox 360. I can watch video on my PC through MC 21 in all formats without problem. The XBox recognizes the videos in my MC library, but streaming any video to the XBox 360 results in complete freezes of audio and video every minute or so, with freezes lasting around 30 seconds before resuming. Needless to say I've been unable to watch a full movie through the XBox. I am able to stream video from other sources (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) through the XBox. Hopefully I have a simple setting to adjust. Any help would be appreciated!

markgough

• Recent member
Re: Difficulty streaming video to XBox 360
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:38:59 am »

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks again!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:30:25 am »

In MC's settings, did you choose Xbox?  It's under Media Network in options.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:10:13 am »

I don't have an Xbox 360 capture, so it would be great if you could download the DMR Analyser tool from my sig, and post the test report here.

And then I will have a look at it and see if I see anything new that could improve MC's interworking with Xbox.

Thanks in advance..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:23:08 am »

I had the same problem streaming to PS3. Have you tried different video formats in tools-options-media network-add or configure dlna servers? For me 'H264-TS high bandwidth stream autofps' works well, but 'mpeg2-ts' which was selected by default resulted in stutter.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:36:49 am »

I had the same problem streaming to PS3. Have you tried different video formats in tools-options-media network-add or configure dlna servers? For me 'H264-TS high bandwidth stream autofps' works well, but 'mpeg2-ts' which was selected by default resulted in stutter.

Actually I don't have a capture of the PS3 either, so it would be great if you too could download the DMR Analyser tool from my sig, and post the test report here.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

markgough

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 04:44:49 pm »

In MC's settings, did you choose Xbox?  It's under Media Network in options.

Yes, thanks, I added XBox 360 and deleted the default DLNA.

markgough

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 04:47:36 pm »

I don't have an Xbox 360 capture, so it would be great if you could download the DMR Analyser tool from my sig, and post the test report here.

And then I will have a look at it and see if I see anything new that could improve MC's interworking with Xbox.

Thanks in advance..

Thanks, I downloaded your analyzer and sample files. I tried running it a few times, but it's a little too technical for me to understand what I'm seeing. How would I post the test report here? Thanks Again!

markgough

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 04:57:21 pm »

Thanks! May be on to something here. I did as you suggested and was able to view a WMV file flawlessly. Unfortunately, now none of my other videos are recognized by the XBox.

Does the Video Format typically need to be changed before viewing each type of video or is there one that works best for all? In my library are AVI, MKV, MP4 and VIDEO_TS. Thanks Again!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 05:29:41 pm »

On the server, in MC's options for Media Network, you can set video conversion for the DLNA Server.

markgough

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 05:55:58 pm »

On the server, in MC's options for Media Network, you can set video conversion for the DLNA Server.

Is that under "Add or configure DLNA Server" > Video> Format?
Is there a recommended setting for AVI, MKV, MP4 and VIDEO_TS ?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 10:34:21 am »

Thanks, I downloaded your analyzer and sample files. I tried running it a few times, but it's a little too technical for me to understand what I'm seeing. How would I post the test report here? Thanks Again!

Step 1:  Select your Xbox
Step 2:  Save the Renderer Report

And post that file here.

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 11:51:31 am »

And post that file here.

When I press 'select a media renderer' I don't see my ps3 there - only MC. Should I first start streaming anything or is something not working properly?

markgough

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 12:02:11 pm »

And post that file here.

Thanks for checking into this for me! I've attached reports from tests using the WMV high bandwidth format and also the H264-TS high bandwidth stream autofps.
Please let me know your thoughts, thanks again!

markgough

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 12:05:19 pm »

When I press 'select a media renderer' I don't see my ps3 there - only MC. Should I first start streaming anything or is something not working properly?

I didn't have to start streaming. I just turned on the XBox and used the XBox to navigate to the directory where my videos were as if I was going to play one.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 03:55:07 am »

Thanks for checking into this for me! I've attached reports from tests using the WMV high bandwidth format and also the H264-TS high bandwidth stream autofps.
Please let me know your thoughts, thanks again!

Thank you for the report. It shows that (as expected) the Xbox tends to favor WMV formats. Although it does support the MPEG2 format in SD and the AVC (H264) in both SD and HD. Obviously the best setting depends on your original file format. So I suggest that you use the DMRA tool itself to recommend the best setting. See the "MC Video Settings" tab...

markgough

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 01:46:55 pm »

Thank you for the report. It shows that (as expected) the Xbox tends to favor WMV formats. Although it does support the MPEG2 format in SD and the AVC (H264) in both SD and HD. Obviously the best setting depends on your original file format. So I suggest that you use the DMRA tool itself to recommend the best setting. See the "MC Video Settings" tab...

Thanks a lot! I'll try that and hope for the best.

tony ferrier

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 04:18:06 pm »

I have an xbox 360 and am controlling it as a zone, you have to enable the xbox to be controlled as a client from the xbox settings then it shows up.
Note that I had lots of freezing and problems but I changed the setting on JRiver from an xbox to the default DLNA renderer and it has been fine since.

Tony

markgough

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 02:46:37 pm »

I have an xbox 360 and am controlling it as a zone, you have to enable the xbox to be controlled as a client from the xbox settings then it shows up.
Note that I had lots of freezing and problems but I changed the setting on JRiver from an xbox to the default DLNA renderer and it has been fine since.

Tony

Thanks for helping! I'll try changing back to the default DLNA but I want to make sure I have your other suggestion correct first. On my XBox in Settings>System>Console Settings>Connected Devices, I have "Play To" set to "On". Is this right?
Also, do you select and control the movie from the XBox System Video Player or through the JRiver software? What types of video files are you able to play?
Thanks Again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 03:46:30 pm »

The play-to is pretty interesting. Just tried it for the first time here.

I used a generic DLNA server, set the audio output format to Specified output format (PCM L16 no header), images to 1080 tv and video to "Specified Output Format Only When Necessary", output format MPEG2-TS very high bandwidth AutoFPS. Under Advanced, checked the bitrate and wmc compat boxes.

This makes it possible to play any audio format, fit images properly to the TV and play video that the XBox is capable of playing natively without conversion and converting the rest. The non-converted video can be seeked, paused, etc. The converted video can be paused but not seeked.

The gapless audio playback capability isn't totally gapless, it appears to close and reopen the audio output device on track change (a common failing) but the gap is pretty short.
Pages: [1]   Go Up