INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ampersand in folder name prevents JRemote from seeing assets  (Read 10670 times)

Ravelyn

Ampersand in folder name prevents JRemote from seeing assets
« on: October 03, 2015, 08:27:34 pm »

I finally figured out why JRemote would not show assets for some of my albums. All of the problem albums had an ampersand in the folder name, or somewhere in the folder structure. As soon as I removed the ampersand from the folder name, the assets showed in JRemote. Is this something new, or did I just not realize it before?

Gumby

• Recent member
Re: Ampersand in folder name prevents JRemote from seeing assets
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:52:38 pm »

This is new.  I just noticed certain albums not displaying assets soon after the recent update, which fixed a different ampersand related issue.  Over the weekend I confirmed what you have discovered. So, the ampersand remains an unruly coordinating conjunction & continues to defy programming logic.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:52:02 pm »

One thing to check, are you using JRemote for iOS or JRemote for Android?

I don't have any of my iOS devices right nearby to test. Answer that, though, and I'll test it and confirm. If I forget, bump this thread again.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Ravelyn

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 12:27:30 am »

I'm using JRemote for iOS; the latest update of iOS 9 on an iPad.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:23:05 am »

MC 19.0.163 on 64 bit Windows 7 & JRemote 3.21 on original iPad mini running IOS 9.01.

dummy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 12:54:21 pm »

Thanks for that.

I, too, had one album that the jpegs weren't showing up in assets and I had no idea why. I changed the names of the jpegs, deleted the album, re-ripped it and still no assets showing... I thought It was something that has probably have to do with the faulty new version as well.

Reading this, turns out there is indeed an ampersand in the album title... Can't remember though If It was showing in IOS8... Still, I know the reason why now.

Also, funny how you often need to have something away to realize how you miss it. This past week showed how much I used the search fonction...

Again, thanks for that!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 01:04:51 pm »

Is it only Album Titles?  Because I tested with a bunch this morning, in both the Artist Name and in the file path, and everything worked fine.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 01:40:39 pm »

It does not happen with the ampersand in any of the tags (metadata.)  It occurs when the ampersand appears in the "folder" where the music files (individual tracks) and assets are located.  I have not tested ampersands at higher levels in the file path or in the filename of the individual tracks, but I doubt that would cause the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 01:42:37 pm »

What OS?  I didn't think an ampersand was a legal character for a folder name.

dummy

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »

I re-ripped the same album twice now.

1- Corps & armes

2- Corps et armes

Both appear on JRemote and the one with ampersand doesn't show the assets while the other shows it.

Windows 8.1 here.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 02:36:35 pm »

It does not happen with the ampersand in any of the tags (metadata.)  It occurs when the ampersand appears in the "folder" where the music files (individual tracks) and assets are located.

Ok, my test only had an ampersand in a higher level of the folder structure (the Artist level, which has a Album level, and then a Disc # folder below it).

I'll test again tonight with one directly in the parent folder of the files. I'm not at all sure why one would make a difference and the other wouldn't (the opposite of you, thinking it would matter).  Because MC always uses the entire path, doesn't care at all about individual folders, and it shouldn't matter to JRemote at all (because JRemote never uses the file path directly), but whatever, I'll try it.

What OS?  I didn't think an ampersand was a legal character for a folder name.

It is a valid character on OSX and Windows. Don't know about Linux, but that's not really relevant here.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 02:45:01 pm »

I think I can repeat this.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 02:46:13 pm »

I meant to re-test this, but forgot.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 05:45:14 pm »

I confirmed this again today by switching between the ampersand and "and" on several albums. When I reported the original ampersand issue in November of 2014, the problem was that too many assets would be displayed.  That is, an ampersand in a folder name would cause the assets of other folders with ampersands to displayed.  So, while that was a little inconvenient, at least the assets were available.  Now they are not available.  So, this issue is a bit more inconvenient for people using the ampersand.  Fortunately, a relatively modest number of my folders have this and I have another way to retrieve album booklets.  I appreciate the effort for attempting to fix the original problem, but I am not sure I would want to operate this way for very long.  If this is going to be corrected soon, say a month or so, I would just let it go.  If not, I would probably make the effort to rename folders.  Any idea if this can be fixed soon? 

Thanks.

BryceJ

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 01:39:35 pm »

I am using MC 22.0.54 on a Mac Mini running macOS Sierra 10.12.2 and JRemote 3.24 on an iPad Mini running iOS 10.2.1

Has there been any update on this problem with ampersands in folder names? I still see the issue with my configuration. Of course I had to choose an album that had an ampersand in the folder path for my initial testing...took me a while to determine why my assets were not displaying. I may have never figured it out if it wasn't for this forum.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 02:40:50 am »

The OP was on October 04, 2015, 02:27:34 am.

Still not fixed? JRemote development is very sluggish for such an important part of the MC family.

Ross

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 08:22:16 pm »

I think this is an MC issue and not a JRemote issue.  MC doesn't import the PDF if the file path has an "&" in it.  You will not see the pdf under documents in the tree.

BryceJ

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 05:47:23 pm »

Thanks for that heads-up. I will give that a test.

BryceJ

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 09:16:12 pm »

I tested this on my Mac and I found that the PDF did appear in the documents list and I could open it in MC on the Mac when there is an ampersand in the path name.

The one thing I have found strange about this is that I have had no issue if the ampersand is in the filename, Fast & Loud.pdf works just fine for me.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 06:55:28 am »

Maybe the pdf not appearing under documents (and therefore not in JRemote) when there is a "&" in the file path is a windows only issue.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 02:03:42 pm »

This is probably not related to Windows.  I originally reported a problem with the Ampersand in 2014.

When I first encountered it, JRemote would show all the album booklets in all the subfolders of a master folder where the album was located.  See the discussion here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,93731.0/prev_next,next.html#new

This problem was corrected....almost.  What was left is now the problem of not showing the booklet for albums located in a folder with an ampersand in the name.  I am not a programming expert, but this appears to be a programing error within JRemote or JRiver MC.  Quite frankly, I am at loss why this cannot be corrected after over 2 years, or at least provide an explanation as to why it cannot be corrected.  It does not inspire me to purchase updates.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 07:35:31 am »

I'm putting my money on the issue residing in MC and not JRemote.  Don't expect this problem to see any attention though.  I'll just make sure any pathnames with "&" in it get renamed.

BryceJ

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 01:09:51 am »

? I am a bit confused by the lack of response to this annoying bug by JRiver. The last time an administrator commented on this problem was October 15, 2015. Although there have 8 posts this year there have been no comments by an administrator. There has been at least one administrators in this sub-forum as recently as yesterday, March 23, 2017.

It was my understanding that is is where we are to post support questions and bug reports. If that is not correct could someone please direct me to the correct place to report this issue. This is not an intermittent problem, it is rock solid, fails every time.

I don't like having to mangle my Artist names and Album names just to get around a MC/Remote bug. Both MC and Remote are paid applications, maybe not expensive ones, but paid applications never the less. Some acknowledgement of this issue by JRiver would be nice.

Cheers.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 04:56:47 pm »

I am also running into this, with JRiver 22.0.95 and JRemote 3.2.4 on iOS 10.3.1.

At least, I thought I was running into it.  I had a newly-imported directory that happened to have an "&" in the path.  In addition to the album's cover art, there were 3 other related JPG images I placed in the same directory (as peer files to the music files).  These all show up fine with MC itself (running on Windows 7).

The images would not show up in JRemote, though -- no asset tab, and no paperclip when playing files.

I found this thread (as well as the older discussion), so I renamed the directory (using MC) and move all of the extra JPG files over to the ampersand-less directory as well.  MC is still happy to show all of the images under View -> Extras, but JRemote still show no assets available with this album.

It is a little odd.  The directory name does have other non-alphabetic characters, namely a few commas.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 06:02:32 pm »

This is a JRemote bug.
Should be pretty easy to fix.

When you change the path to remove the & you may have to restart MC / reload JRemote. I noticed something similar but when I browsed to the location in JRemote via Audio->Artist the stuff showed up.

BryceJ

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 03:21:20 pm »

After updating to Remote 3.25 this problem seems to have been fixed. Thank you very much for fixing this annoying bug.

Of course this doesn't how Remote works on my iPad Mini which can only run iOS 9.3.5 and Remote 3.22.

Cheers, Bryce.

dvoretsa

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 12:08:50 pm »

This is a JRemote bug.
Should be pretty easy to fix.

Hi,

I can confirm that special simbol # in folder path also prevent assets from working. Is it possible to fix it in next release of JRemote? I use # simbol in classic music folders.
If it will be fixed in near future, than I will wait. In other case it will needed to rename all such folders in my library (it's a lot of work).

Regards,
Andrey.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 02:07:59 pm »

Hi,

I can confirm that special simbol # in folder path also prevent assets from working. Is it possible to fix it in next release of JRemote? I use # simbol in classic music folders.
If it will be fixed in near future, than I will wait. In other case it will needed to rename all such folders in my library (it's a lot of work).

Regards,
Andrey.
Will take a look when possible.
Bump this if your don't see any response in a few weeks.

dvoretsa

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 12:29:03 pm »

OK, thank you.

dvoretsa

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2020, 01:49:21 pm »

Hi, again!
JRemote 3.31 was released recently for iOS, but the problem I described was not solved. So, I "bump" this again.

Regards,
Andrey.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2020, 10:43:30 am »

Hi, again!
JRemote 3.31 was released recently for iOS, but the problem I described was not solved. So, I "bump" this again.

Regards,
Andrey.
That's cool. I was trying to get that one out and was aware that this issue hadn't been resolved yet. Will see if I can get into the next one.

dvoretsa

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2020, 09:45:04 am »

That's cool. I was trying to get that one out and was aware that this issue hadn't been resolved yet. Will see if I can get into the next one.

Thank you very much for solving this issue in JRemote 3.32! Now it work as it must.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 09:54:45 am »

Thank you very much for solving this issue in JRemote 3.32! Now it work as it must.
Great, thanks for the report back!
Pages: [1]   Go Up