INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Hangs on Exit  (Read 27901 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center Hangs on Exit
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2015, 05:57:05 pm »

And you still think this is an MC problem?

It is almost certain to be an antivirus or security problem.
Except AV was completely uninstalled and Windows Defender was turned off. Firewall was turned off.
I think it has to do with a code change and a particular set of HW/SW on the computer. I've swapped out drivers to no effect.
The only change is the version of MC.
I've tried to eliminate every other variable. Even ran a HW check on my computer to see if there was a problem with any components.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2015, 06:33:53 pm »

You think it was uninstalled but it may not have been.   You may need to install Windows again or live with the problem.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2015, 07:20:19 pm »

Well if Matt implements a hard kill to the thread if it keeps running, as he suggested here, then the problem may be solved in MC21.0.19 or MC21.0.20, or there abouts.

So not all hope is lost.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2015, 01:55:03 am »

I think that's risky.  

And a kludge.  An ugly solution for someone else's problem.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2015, 01:19:14 am »

I think that's risky.  

And a kludge.  An ugly solution for someone else's problem.

Well actually I agree, and said so back here.

It is a pity there is no way, at least that I know of, to really identify what the issue is. I very rarely get any crashes with MC, but I did get one a couple of days ago, and it was related to Auto-Import. I was able to identify that MC was waiting for four internal threads, but as I use a normal (non-administrator) user on my HTPC, and didn't have Process Explorer available on it, I was unable to dig any further into what part of MC was causing the problem.

If anyone knows of better tools than those I have already mentioned, it would be great to hear about them. I suspect going any further than Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer, would get very technical.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2015, 11:50:49 am »

Jim,

Is there anything I could do that would convince you that it might be a code issue and not a individual PC issue?

I've tried everything you have suggested (and more). Now, you are saying that I would need to reinstall Windows. But if I did that, with all the other AV and security-related caveats in place, and the problem remains, would you still dismiss this issue?

I've seriously considered that the problem is the PC and not MC and spent many hours trying to pinpoint the cause of the issue. (Because if it's my PC, I will get that addressed).

I agree that a fix that addresses a symptom and not the root cause can be risky (and I really do appreciate Matt for considering it, believe me).

So, I'm wondering what can be done to locate the root cause?

Matt has identified that the Auto-Import process is causing the hanging. If I keep everything the same and only change the MC version, it hangs. As I mentioned, I have done all the security/AV tests/uninstalls/etc. The core symptoms remain unchanged.

If you have diagnostics that I can run on this machine I will.

lilyoliver

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:29 am »

Set up a test library with only local files.  If that works, then the NAS could be a problem.  If it doesn't work, then it probably isn't the NAS.

Unplug anything you can.  A bad USB drive, for example, could cause a problem.

Turn off auto import.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2017, 03:11:43 pm »

Set up a test library with only local files.  If that works, then the NAS could be a problem.  If it doesn't work, then it probably isn't the NAS.

Unplug anything you can.  A bad USB drive, for example, could cause a problem.

Turn off auto import.
Thanks. The issue was fixed in a subsequent dot release of the code. I recall some mention in release notes regarding it. No problems after that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up