INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: El Capitan update: Mac goes into sleep mode when MC21 playing  (Read 13426 times)

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
El Capitan update: Mac goes into sleep mode when MC21 playing
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:10:46 am »

Hello

My Mac is going into sleep mode when MC21 is playing after a certain time. Then of course the music stops; as soon as you touch the mouse or keyboard, Mac wakes up and music resumes.
Can you make sure you prevent the sleep mode when playing music with MC21, at least in the DLNA mode ?

There was the same problem a few years ago with Maverick
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88663.msg608177#msg608177

I reported the issue and it was fixed immediately in the next release. Problem is very similar.

Thanks for your help in advance

Regards
philoouu

xtraktz

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: El Capitan update: Mac goes into sleep mode when MC21 playing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:25:40 am »

I have the same problem with 21 on last maverick.
MAC MINI > dCS DEBUSSY > ATC SCA2 > ATC SCM 50 ASLT

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:43:23 am »

Dear JRiver team

Can you reproduce this issue ?

Thanks
Philoouu

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:00:37 am »

Dear JRiver team

Still no chance to answer this request ?

Thanks
philoouu

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 11:58:59 am »

I'm running 10.11 on two of my machines, and am not seeing this behavior, though I am having trouble waking my Mini up when connected through my KVM all the sudden (which worked fine on Yosemite, so something clearly changed here).  Any more clues?  What settings do you have set under Power Saver in System Preferences?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:19:42 pm »

I'm running 10.11 on two of my machines, and am not seeing this behavior, though I am having trouble waking my Mini up when connected through my KVM all the sudden (which worked fine on Yosemite, so something clearly changed here).  Any more clues?  What settings do you have set under Power Saver in System Preferences?

Hello
Thanks for coming back to me.
This happens with my MacBook Pro when I play in DLNA mode with Sotm SMS-100, files are on a NAS. The setting for the MacBook Pro for Energy Saver are the default ones so the hard disk/computer will sleep if there is no activity in roughly10 minutes. You should force the computer not to sleep when playing in DLNA mode... That was you have done in Maverick when the same thing happens.

Thanks for your help
philoouu

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 03:04:07 pm »

There may be differences in what the APIs do underneath the hood. The OS only allows end-user applications to basically make "requests" to keep the system awake, but can decide to ignore the request. Assuming that this broke and nothing changed in MC, then it would seem that El Cap handles things differently.

Can you test and try to determine if the issue is specific to the NAS or to DLNA?  The easiest way would be to copy a set of files to the internal disk, and play a long playlist from there only, and see if it happens.  If it still happens, that would seem to rule out the NAS (and then disk sleeping as the issue) and point to the network interface going to sleep instead.

My guess is the Network interface. As I said above, I can't wake my system with USB input anymore through my KVM on El Cap (and it worked with Yosemite and many of the El Cap betas), so I know there have been changes to the underlying Sleep APIs (or bugs where things are broken, which might be more likely).

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:21:40 am »

There may be differences in what the APIs do underneath the hood. The OS only allows end-user applications to basically make "requests" to keep the system awake, but can decide to ignore the request. Assuming that this broke and nothing changed in MC, then it would seem that El Cap handles things differently.

Can you test and try to determine if the issue is specific to the NAS or to DLNA?  The easiest way would be to copy a set of files to the internal disk, and play a long playlist from there only, and see if it happens.  If it still happens, that would seem to rule out the NAS (and then disk sleeping as the issue) and point to the network interface going to sleep instead.

My guess is the Network interface. As I said above, I can't wake my system with USB input anymore through my KVM on El Cap (and it worked with Yosemite and many of the El Cap betas), so I know there have been changes to the underlying Sleep APIs (or bugs where things are broken, which might be more likely).

Hello
I am not sure it is relevant but I just run the same music with the local player (so basically files are on the NAS but no DLNA). In this case the music will not stop or at least it did not happen while I was listening to it (there could still be  another process keeping awake the Mac too...) so it looks like this is linked to the DNA like for Maverick.

What did you change with Maverick when you corrected it ?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88663.msg610225#msg610225

John T wrote "The next build of Media Center Mac will prevent system sleep during DLNA playback."
So there is no easy way to keep awake the Mac with El Capitan when playing JRiver ?

thanks and regards
philoouu

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 10:46:03 am »

Why would you want your computer to go to sleep anyway?  If it's on your network, playing from a NAS and to a DLNA renderer, it's probably plugged in to power right?  Set your power preferences to never sleep when plugged in.  Then you can set other power settings for when it's on BATTERY, when it matters.

I don't get why so many Mac owners are so obsessed with turning off, or sleeping their Macs.  Computers last longer when they run all the time.  Or said the other way, computers fail MORE when you shut them down frequently.

Brian.

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 09:10:07 pm »

Why would you want your computer to go to sleep anyway?  If it's on your network, playing from a NAS and to a DLNA renderer, it's probably plugged in to power right?  Set your power preferences to never sleep when plugged in.  Then you can set other power settings for when it's on BATTERY, when it matters.

I don't get why so many Mac owners are so obsessed with turning off, or sleeping their Macs.  Computers last longer when they run all the time.  Or said the other way, computers fail MORE when you shut them down frequently.

Brian.

https://support.apple.com/en-ap/HT201714

I just use default settings and the Mac will go in sleep/idle mode automatically. Laptop last longer like that, and for the planet it makes sense too !.... I am not sure where you saw the opposite (this is not a NAS)

Anyway my post is only about fixing this bug so I expect JRiver team to fix it like they did for Maverick a couple of years ago.

philoouu

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 07:17:41 am »

I don't get why so many Mac owners are so obsessed with turning off, or sleeping their Macs.  Computers last longer when they run all the time.  Or said the other way, computers fail MORE when you shut them down frequently.
I'm sorry, but I don't know if this is the case.  On Windows, sleep has been very reliable for many years now.

The energy savings can be significant, depending on the use case.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 08:37:54 am »

In my rather long experience both personally and professionally with computers, they ALL last longer if they are kept powered on all the the time.  The reasons are very simple.  The less times you power cycle a component, the less stress is placed upon it, electrically.  Talk to anyone who's worked in a data center, or a big computer lab and they'll all tell you the same thing.

But hey, do what you want, it's your hardware, not mine.  I'm going to bow out of this discussion because I don't think I'm helping.  Good luck to the OP.  Sincerely.  :)

Brian.

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 10:12:29 pm »

I'm sorry, but I don't know if this is the case.  On Windows, sleep has been very reliable for many years now.

The energy savings can be significant, depending on the use case.
Hi Jim
Hope you can fix this bug to force the Mac awake when using JRiver like you did on Maverick !
Thanks
Philoouu

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 12:07:14 am »

On Windows, sleep has been very reliable for many years now.

This depends entirely on the particulars of what hardware you have on Windows, unfortunately.  In aggregate, we see more issues with our Windows laptops resuming from sleep at work than Macs (though we see both). Different models exhibit wildly different behavior. I suspect the issues are often GPU driver related.

I'd be happy if Windows could shut down properly on a consistent basis, much less sleep reliably.

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 02:55:43 am »

Would be nice if you could fix this problem... I cannot change my energy settings all the time !
Thanks
Philoouu

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 11:28:29 pm »

Hello JRiver development team,

Did you have a chance to look at the issue ? And find a way to keep the Mac awake when playing in DLNA....
I see other people having issues in DLNA may be all related...

Thanks in advance !
philoouu

flight16

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 11:28:31 pm »

Why would you want your computer to go to sleep anyway?  ...it's probably plugged in to power right?

The cost of electricity.  It costs me $13/month, $156/year to keep a 50 watt machine powered on 24/7 here, even though I only use it a few hours a day or less. That's why I don't leave any home computer on 24/7.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 03:02:09 am »

The cost of electricity.  It costs me $13/month, $156/year to keep a 50 watt machine powered on 24/7 here, even though I only use it a few hours a day or less. That's why I don't leave any home computer on 24/7.
I agree, but the NUC we use for the JRiver Id uses 7 watts.  Each generation of Intel chip technology uses less electricity for the same performance.

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 11:06:53 pm »

Hello Jim

I still have this issue on both my MacBook and my MacMini...
Is there a way you can fix it ?

Thanks
philoouu

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 03:19:04 am »

Hello JRiver team
Did you get a chance to look at this issue ?
On top of that sometimes I have to reboot my renderer as the connection get lost; basically the combination of El Capitan and MC21 is less stable in DLNA mode.
Thanks
philoouu

AudiodoctorCA

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 12:43:56 am »

Just a suggestion, what happens if you try this app, which is supposed to prevent your computer from going to sleep, screen from going dar, screen saver from coming on, etc...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caffeine/id411246225?mt=12

I would also check your power saver settings too, you can change them pretty easily before you play music.

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 02:36:28 am »

Just a suggestion, what happens if you try this app, which is supposed to prevent your computer from going to sleep, screen from going dar, screen saver from coming on, etc...

I would also check your power saver settings too, you can change them pretty easily before you play music.

It should be fixed by the MC programmers.

philoouu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 08:39:57 am »

Dear MC developpers,

I still have the same issues, only with playing music with DLNA through my renderer (Mac goes into sleep mode after a while and the music stops).

Is there a way you can fix it ?

Thanks
philoouu

kurushi

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 11:07:55 am »

Hum i haven't problems with the sleeping mode on Yosemite.

RunHomeSlow

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 12:35:39 am »

Ok i read that thread fast, but again after fast reading  ;-),
but couldn't figure what was the problem people have with waking up...

In your preferences panel you should set your hard disc never go to sleep,
put screensaver for screen if you want after 10 minutes... but not hard disc...

When you are finished with listening music, you shut down your MAC if you have to pay for electricity....
so your MAC should not be sleeping at anytime... when you listening you want it on, and when not listening you shut it down,
no battery running for nothing...

if you do that and bug still on, then it is a JRiver bug no?
If You Got Ears, You Gotta Listen – Captain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS 14.3 > Audirvana Origin 2.5.x >
Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >
Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

AudiodoctorCA

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 05:01:58 pm »

This app will live in your Menu Bar and when activated will prevent your Mac from going to sleep.

Pages: [1]   Go Up