INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I unmodify my computer to be compatible with DRM?  (Read 8992 times)

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
How do I unmodify my computer to be compatible with DRM?
« on: October 17, 2015, 05:12:48 pm »

I was interested in the performer store. But I am not interested in DRM. How do I un-do this modification to my computer? If there is no non-DRM content in the store, what do I do to cancel?
HT#1: Sony STR-DA5400ES, Polk RTi 7.1 speakers
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)
Id: Original 120GB SSD NUC
Mobile: HIFI Walker H2 and H2 Touch

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How do I unmodify my computer to be compatible with DRM?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 05:14:31 pm »

Please contact Deanna at jriver to cancel.

DRM is only applied to streaming.

Purchases are unprotected.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 05:37:02 pm »

How do I un-modify my computer for DRM? How do I un-do the link between the performer store and Dr Who?
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:58:29 pm »

Dr. Who will just use previews if you don't have a subscription.

I don't know whether you can remove the Microsoft DRM layer.  You could try a Google search.  I don't know of any problems that have ever been caused by it.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 06:21:36 pm »

So it can be done, but it can't be un-done? That's nice.

What did the performer store do to my computer, exactly?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 08:32:02 am »

Nothing that you need to worry about, but try an Internet search if you want to understand.  Microsoft has a couple of different types of DRM.  Dot Net too, if I recall correctly.

We've included support for the MediaNet store for something like 10 years.  There are no problems with it.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 10:04:00 am »

Jim, I'll decide what is done to my computer, and what should be of concern to me, thank you. I'm getting tired of the cavalier attitude about this displayed in your answers to my questions so far. If JRiver's opinion is that I *shouldn't* have control over changes to my computer, then I'll take that into consideration in my dealings with JRiver in future.

And I don't *want* to understand Microsoft's three types of DRM! Microsoft is simply a means to an end for me. Not a religion that I need to know intimately. It looks to me like your admonishments that I educate myself are strictly due to the fact that you don't know the answer either. It's the same "nose in the air" attitude that makes me mad at Microsoft, as they dismiss their own ridiculousness.

I want to know what was done to my computer! If I have to figure out how to put my computer back to a pre-DRM state without help from JRiver, the least that JRiver can do is tell me what they did to it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 10:42:42 am »

I'm sorry, but you're making a big deal out of nothing.  

You could use the Windows tools to restore your machine to a previous state if you have a backup.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 11:39:12 am »

If it's really nothing, then why won't JRiver simply answer my question?

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 08:43:01 am »

JRiver doesn't directly make any changes to your computer.  We inform a Microsoft sub-system that the user is going to play DRM protected content and if your computer has never played protected content before, it creates a DRM database to keep track of content licenses.  Other providers of protected content, Netflix for example, go through the same process.

Like Jim said, "You could use the Windows tools to restore your machine to a previous state if you have a backup."

Or, you can delete the Microsoft DRM folder from your computer if you like.  On my Windows 10 computer it is located at:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM
It's normally a system hidden folder, so you'll need to have Explorer set to show these folders in order to see and delete it.

Here's a Microsoft community forum page on how to reset DRM:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-you-manually-reset-the-drm-media-rights/dbe7f17f-ece0-4067-a9cf-36c015d7ab1f
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 11:37:50 am »

Thank you, John.

Returning to a prior restore point yesterday, 10/18, did not change the date on the DRM folder or its contents, which still refers to 10/17, apparently when I signed up for the performer store, not 10/11, the date of the restore point that I restored.

Is there a way to "un-inform" the DRM subsystem, or would this be the same as the "reset" procedure described by Microsoft?

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 11:54:29 am »

No, there's no "un-inform" function.  I guess you'd need to delete the DRM folder.  Personally, I'd just leave it as is, it doesn't take up much room and doesn't do anything unless you try to play protected content.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up