INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB External Hard Drive - Library Duplicates  (Read 3928 times)

artto

• Recent member
USB External Hard Drive - Library Duplicates
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:46:11 am »

I recently added a 5TB Seagate Model SRD00F2 USB 3.0 external hard drive to my Toshiba laptop PC. I want to use this drive as the primary file/library source drive for MC.

I copied the Folder containing the FLAC & WAV files from internal hard drive C: to E: (USB external drive). When I imported this into MC I began seeing duplicate tracks on all albums. I did a restore to a date just previous to importing the library on E: and things are back to normal (no duplicates). However, I want to use E: for my main storage drive because C: is getting close to full.

How do I make the Folder ~ Files ~ Library on drive E: my main source without duplicates? I want to delete the files on C: after I'm sure everything is working correctly since I use this PC for recording and need the C: drive space for that purpose.

I have MC 21 license but don't want to install this until I get my existing setup working as needed for the future with adequate storage space on the external drive, unless of course, there's something new in MC 21 that avoids/eliminates the track duplication.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: USB External Hard Drive - Library Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 11:47:03 am »

I'm not familiar with MC17's capabilities.  Does it have the Rename, Move, and Copy tool?  I know for sure it exists in MC20 and MC21.

One of the things the RM&C tool can do, is to tell MC a new location for files.  As long as you keep the directory structure the same, it can be as easy as highlighting all the files, running RM&C, and doing a find and replace on the drive letter.  This is called "Database Update Mode".  ...it doesn't actually move or rename files.  It tells MC that you moved them externally.  Sounds like exactly what you want.  Here's the Wiki entry on it:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: USB External Hard Drive - Library Duplicates
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 03:59:36 pm »

I'm not familiar with MC17's capabilities.  Does it have the Rename, Move, and Copy tool?  I know for sure it exists in MC20 and MC21.
Yes, it does.  It's probably a little different.
Pages: [1]   Go Up