INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver MC 21 and ISO SACD files...  (Read 5384 times)

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver MC 21 and ISO SACD files...
« on: October 25, 2015, 07:50:19 pm »

Hello All,

Hoping someone can kindly help - after a recent upgrade from JRiver 19 to 21, I am discovering that a large number of my SACD iso files are no longer playing and I am getting the error 'Something went wrong with playback' when I try and play a track. I am able to play some but not the majority. 

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution for this, as I have lost playback access to the majority of my SACD .iso files which was not an issue with MC 19..?

Cheers,
Vin.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver MC 21 and ISO SACD files...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:56:25 pm »

A couple of ideas:

1.  Are all of the ISOs on the same hard drive?  Or are some in a different place?  Maybe MC can't see a particular hard drive any more?  Or a network share?
2.  Maybe you have an audio settings issue.  Maybe the ones that won't play are 2x DSD?  Are you converting DSD to PCM?  Or using bitstreaming?  Or converting everything to DSD via DSP Studio's Output Format?  Look at some of the ones that won't play and see what the sample rate is.  If it's 2.8 MHz, that's regular DSD.  5.6 MHz is 2x DSD.

Brian.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 08:11:25 pm »

Hi Brian - Thanks for the quick reply!

All the files are on the same DROBO external RAID drive and if I right click and locate the file (external), JRiver takes me to the directory where I can see the ISO file just fine.

I am just a little confused as some do play fine and some don't. I don't know whether I am converting DSD to PCM - can you please point me where I would check for that setting. I believe some of the ones not playing are 2.8MHz - I don't believe I have anything that is 2 x DSD but I will double check. I am also using the M2Tech Young DAC which will only handle a max of 384 although everything seems to play at 352.8 when it does play - not sure why it never shows 384.

Is there a difference between MC19 and MC21 with regards to how these files are now handled?

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Vin.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 10:58:34 pm »

Hello again Brian...

So the spec of the ISO is as follows:

Samplerate:        2822400 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 88200 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   24
Bitrate:           5645 kbps
Codec:             DST64

I was worried that the I may have a file corruption issue - So I copied the ISO from my DROBO connected to my Windows machine onto a flash USB drive. I put the USB drive onto my Mac and imported the file into JRiver 21 on my Mac and it works just fine!!! - What can be wrong on my Windows machine? They all worked fine prior to upgrading to MC21 - I can only assume its some setting somewhere - I have checked all the obvious places and have tried changing things but nothing seems to allow me to play.

I guess maybe the clue may be something to do with converting to PCM but if that was the case, then presumably nothing would play back correct?

Appreciate any help/advice on this...

Cheers,
Vin.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 07:58:22 am »

My thoughts about converting to PCM being a source of the problem are just a GUESS.  I don't know if it's related or not.  But what you say about the display on your DAC showing 352.8kHz indicates conversion to PCM, as that's the native rate of 1x DSD.

I suppose you could check a few things to make sure:

1.  Make sure bitstreaming is OFF.  Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming > None
2.  Check output encoding and make sure it's set to None also.  Player > DSP Studio > Output Format > Output Encoding > None
3.  Look at the sample rates above 352.8 and make sure they are all set to convert *down* to a rate your DAC can handle.  For example, 705,600 should be set to output 384 or below, since that's the maximum rate your DAC supports.  Sample rates are in DSP Studio right underneath Output Encoding.

That's all the ideas I have for now.

Brian.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:14:56 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Brian. I checked all the settings you mention and I am all good there - I have the settings as per your recommendations. I am truly stumped at this point!  ?

Is there a way to put some kind of debug trace on to get more information from JRiver on what it is having issues with, as the error message doesn't really give much insight as to what it is having issues with exactly. I guess 'something went wrong with playback' could mean a number of things but it would be nice if JRiver could provide some more detail on what is causing the error. Again, I took the same ISO file and it played just fine on my Mac running JRiver MC21 - albeit, I am not going into a DAC on my Mac.

Would appreciate any other help/pointers here as I have a ton of music that is now not playing since I upgraded from JRiver 19....

Cheers,
Vin.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:17:39 pm »

I'm hoping someone else will recognize this problem and help you out as I'm not sure what's going on.

If you want to, you can turn on Logging and then save the log file.  The logs are pretty hard to read and have a LOT of data in them, but it might be worth a shot.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

Brian.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:13:40 pm »

Is there something that I can use to help me decypher what comes out of the logs? Sounds like a very daunting task from what you wrote...  :(

Could it be something with the library that got corrupt during the transition from JRiver 19 to 21? If so, is there a quick way to rebuild the library?

Cheers,
V.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 09:41:39 pm »

You can post the logs here and I will try to read them, but I can't make any guarantees.  Others that are better at reading them might help too.

I don't know about a corrupt library.  It all sounds to me like an Audio misconfiguration, but it's hard to tell that sitting here in my chair and not seeing your setup.

Can you verify the sample rate of 2 of your files?  One that plays.  ..and one that does NOT play.  In fact, look for any differences you can spot about the two files.  Different disk drives, other different metadata...

Oh wait, I just thought of something.  These are ISOs.  ISOs have a known problem if you use the Rename, Move, and Copy tool to move them.  Or even if you rename them externally.  This thread seems to discuss the problem and a solution:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96837.0

Maybe that will help you.

Brian.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:55:27 pm »

SUCCESS!!!!  :)

My hunch was right - it seems like there was an issue with the library. I removed all the SACD files and reimported them and...VOILA!!!

Everything seems to be playing just fine again and I am just relieved that it wasn't anything to do with data corruption otherwise, I would be crying right now...!!! lol

Thanks again for your time on this...

Cheers,
Vin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up