INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I keep the artist from showing twice in album header?  (Read 5438 times)

crisnee

• World Citizen
How do I keep the artist from showing twice in album header?
« on: November 01, 2015, 02:49:23 pm »

For instance when the artist = Mozart and the Album = Mozart, Requiem, the header for the album will be something like "Mozart, Requiem by Mozart." I would much prefer "Mozart's Requiem." There are many variations on this theme, some much more unseemly than the above example, so I'm hoping I've missed something that allows me to clean up said mess.

Chris

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I keep the artist from showing twice in album header?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:08:50 pm »

You could do this with an expression, but I'd recommend keeping the artist name out of the album title.  Then you would have no problem.  You could construct your views to show artist, title, or any combination thereof.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:32:46 pm »

+1

Fixing the root cause, rather than the symptom is always the correct answer.

Brian.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 01:17:32 am »

...but I'd recommend keeping the artist name out of the album title.  Then you would have no problem.  You could construct your views to show artist, title, or any combination thereof.

You can't always do that and have the title make sense; for instance Introducing ________ and his __________, Or __________ Requiem. It would at the very least be aesthetically unpleasing and possibly confusing.

It seems there could be a relatively simple fix: When complete words in the artist field match any complete words in the album field the artist field is left out of the header. Now if I can do that myself, I don't know. I'm not real up to the expressions stuff, if the fix is possible from there.
Chris

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 03:35:44 am »

You can't always do that and have the title make sense; for instance Introducing ________ and his __________, Or __________ Requiem. It would at the very least be aesthetically unpleasing and possibly confusing.

It seems there could be a relatively simple fix: When complete words in the artist field match any complete words in the album field the artist field is left out of the header. Now if I can do that myself, I don't know. I'm not real up to the expressions stuff, if the fix is possible from there.
Chris
There is not a simple fix for this. Especially with classical collections as there is not a real tagging standard. It is easier to bulk modify your tags IMO. I have thought long and hard on my tags for classical and there are many different opinions. But I would really think of what you want to show and eventually search on -- and what indeed can be displayed coherently through views -- and if you are using JRemote, Theater Mode or all 3 modes.

The choice would also depend on how big a collection you have ... and especially if you have multiple versions of each work like I often do for well known pieces.

Your View might (probably) be composer based for classical music, but JRiver like most players use Album Artist to group the actual albums. What I do is use The composer also in the Album Artist Field - teh orchestra in the Artist field, adding the last name of composer and conductor in the title.  This allows you a lot of latitude and if you have a small amount of classical music, you can use standard views more easily in my opinion

eg. Name: Mozart: Requiem in D minor [Harnoncourt] Album Artist :Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus;  Artist: Concentus Musicus Wien  ... you can also add a field like WORK which would be something like Requiem K.626 if you wanted to really be able to drill down (and shorten some real long track names). This is how ALLMUSIC guide and a lot of Discogs entries are tagged, so it also makes it a little easier to find your version on the web.

There are a lot of benefits, but really think it through before you jump. There is really no one way to tag classical yet, and everyone has there own ideas (there are a bunch of discussions on this forum that might interest you). Regardless, if your tags are consistent they can be used to build any view you want, but by trying to figure out a way to manipulate the display as you describe is going to cause all sorts of exceptions, especially if you mix general music with classical. And if they are consistent, and you change your mind it is easier to "bulk-edit" later like if you want to add more detail/info later on.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:39:29 am »

As long as you have the composer's name in both Composer and Album, you are going to have a very hard time displaying what you want. You can strip out the computer name from the Album field for display, but you have to be sure to always have a consistent format. If the composer in the album field is always followed by a comma (as in your example), then you could strip everything up to the comma and just use the rest of the field. Personally, I would simply drop the composer as the first entry in the album field.

One option is to create a custom display field and just use that for display. You can auto-generate that field and then override it manually if need be.

As to Arindelle's point about mixing classical and non-classical, I have a custom field that is set to artist for non-classical and composer for classical. That way sorts within genre's are done correctly using just one field. That is only an issue if you want to mix the two types of music in one view. If you have different views for different genre, then it is just a matter of setting up your view with the appropriate fields. 

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 09:50:07 am »

Not a simple expression!

If all of them are "the same" I.e. Mozart, requiem....Bach, third movement...etc

You could possibly use

If(isequal([album],[artist],8),replace([album],[artist]/(,)),[album]

Which (if I used the escape slash properly) should strip the artist name and the comma from the album name

Or

If(isequal([album],[artist],8),listitem([album],2,,),[album]

Which should do roughly the same thing, if I used the comma properly (escape characters always mess me up)

This only might work if you have consistent names.  If not, you may find some hope in Regex but that goes beyond my basic regex skills.

I haven't tested these, but I do find this an interesting topic.  I agree with above; you should really tag better, as it's much, much easier to add tags together than it is to parse tags and use portions of them

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 10:45:20 am »

One option is to create a custom display field and just use that for display. You can auto-generate that field and then override it manually if need be.

I like that idea. How do I create a custom display field, and in particular, have it, or any field for that matter, become the header? I've tried to find those options in the past and haven't been able to come up with them.

Re classical tagging.
I perused all the related threads several years ago and eventually gave up on the idea of getting the tagging right. It seemed like too much headache from trying to understand the workaround ideas, and too much time to implement them. When would I have time to listen to music?  ? So I settled for not so pretty.

Thanks for all your ideas and thoughts everybody. I shall slog on, as I have too much music to make anything but a simple-ish fix palatable.

Chris

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 11:43:29 am »

[...] in particular, have it, or any field for that matter, become the header?

Right click in the top text display area (the header).  Select "customize display".  You can alter what's there, adding or removing fields as you like.  It understands expressions too, so you can write conditional display expressions if you feel like it.

Good luck.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 12:11:57 pm »

To create a custom tag, Tools - Options -Library & Folders - Manage Library Fields. You can name it whatever you want.  You can use the custom tag wherever you use regular tag. You can just populate it manually for each album, which may take a while for existing tracks, but is quick for new rips.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 03:24:15 pm »

It seems there could be a relatively simple fix: When complete words in the artist field match any complete words in the album field the artist field is left out of the header.

Would that definitely do it for you?  ...and would you be willing to go through your collection and find the albums that meet this criteria?  If so, you could set up a new field called something like NoArtistDisplay.  It could be a checkbox field, and you could check it for every album with an artist that you don't want to show.

Then it would be rather simple to customize the display up top to look at that field and NOT show the Artist field if NoArtistDisplay is checked for that album.  Seems like a decent simple solution.

I was even going to offer a way to try to find albums that have the artist's name in the title.  But I just tried some expressions for that, and I can't figure it out just yet.  Something like:

[Album]="\[Artist\]"

...doesn't seem to work at all.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 03:42:15 pm »

Ok, a few more minutes of experiments and I've got something that partially works.  This expression looks at Album and Artist.  If [Artist] is anywhere in [Album], then it prints nothing.  Otherwise, it prints the Artist field:

Code: [Select]
if(isequal([Album],[Artist],8),,[Artist])
You could put that in place of [Artist] in Customize Display.  But I don't think it's a complete solution.  It seems like there would be exceptions.  But you could use this expression to try to find most, if not all, of the "problem albums", and then use a custom field like I described above.  Or even a custom display text like others have described. 

You can use this expression in a search, or in a smartlist or view to find Albums that contain the artist's name:

Code: [Select]
[=isequal([Album],[Artist],8)]=1
I hope this is helpful.

Brian.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 09:29:10 pm »

I think I can work with these ideas without taking the rest of my life away from actually listening to the stuff I'm trying to prettify--is that a word? And if your search doesn't find all the albums the rest shall live in infamy or.... Anyway, I shall endeavor to print out the relevant posts and get crackin'.

Thanks a lot.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up