Networks and Remotes > Media Network

DSDIFF+cuefile via DLNA to Oppo BDP-105 - can't stream individual tracks

(1/4) > >>

Mark_Chat:
I have my SACD backups as DSDIFF files (edit master .dff as one continuous file plus .cue files) and JRiver recognises these perfectly and imports them into my library and they look, feel and play on my desktop PC without trouble, and they play on my HTPC without trouble and they stream to my Sony DLNA speaker as separate tracks without trouble (it accepts DSD Direct) i.e. they simply behave just as if they are separate tracks, as you would expect.

However, yesterday I tried streaming to my Oppo BDP-105 via DLNA using both JRemote and direct from Media Centre on screen interface.

Flacs etc all work fine - I can play individual tracks, switch tracks etc as normal, skip and go back.
With DSD files I could not.

The DSD files could be streamed to the Oppo over Wi-Fi ("SACD" recognised by the Oppo and correctly transmitted to my surround sound processor as DSD Direct) and truly sounded stunning - so much better than the 24 bit 176.4kHz which was my other option. (Night and day, even with level matching, and I got quite excited)

BUT - "Playing" track 6 of an album resulted in the Oppo playing track one i.e. the whole long file from the beginning. I couldn't skip tracks to go forwards using either JRemote or the MC interface.
The MC "Playing Now" and the Oppo OSD both report track 6 being played with the correct metadata and track length in min:sec displayed, even when it was track one playing would then continue to play for the whole album in one go.
Incidentally, this was all gapless between tracks which was nice!

While "track 6" was playing (Actually track 1 of the 10 track single file+cue file being played) I could get JRiver to "Play now" track 4 and the Oppo and JRiver OSD would change to track 4 buy, Hey Presto!, the DSD track would start playing right from the beginning again - track one.

Any ideas!?
I disabled event polling and it made no difference (no idea what it does but couldn't find other options to fiddle with) and made a completely custom DLNA server linked to the Oppo with DLNA, DLNA extra, send bitrate all checked and DSD bitstreaming (DoPE)unchecked - the Oppo will accept only DSD direct and not DoPE and still no go.

I am a bit baffled.
Surely JRiver is "pushing" audio to the Oppo and so can simply push track 6 data when it is requested to do so? Why would it send the album from track one onwards instead?

I will get the chance to run Whitebear DRMA again later and will post here. I did it yesterday and saw nothing unusual but forgot to save it!
I'll also enable logging.
Hope someone can help!

AndrewFG:
Firstly there is absolutely no need for you to run my DMR analyzer on your Oppo because I have an Oppo myself anyway. In fact it is interesting that you report that the Oppo does actually play DSD/DFF tracks, because interestingly it does not actually declare that capability in its report (i.e. it does not include that format in its SinkProtocolInfo list).

As you know you can set up the MC UPnP / DLNA server to serve tracks either a) in "Original" format or b) in transcoded "Specified Format". When "Original" is selected the MC server is not allowed to mess around with the track stream data; it just simply serves that file. So since your SACD album is a single file then the MC server has no choice than to serve that one single file with no tampering i.e. regardless of which track you want to push.

Unfortunately there is no option for the MC UPnP / DLNA server to serve files "split up but still in original format", so if you want to force it to split the tracks, I think you may need to change the UPnP / DLNA server settings to "Specified Format" = "PCM L16 No Header" (a safe option) or if you need it then possibly try "Specified Format" = "PCM 24 bit" (although I am not completely sure if the Oppo supports PCM 24 bit files, but there is no harm in you trying that if you want).

Mark_Chat:
Thanks Andrew.
You are, as usual correct.

DSD does indeed play nicely over DLNA to the Oppo. In order for JRiver MC to pass DSD to the Oppo BDP-105, the DLNA server needs to be set to original format, DoPE unchecked, resulting in the problem you correctly diagnoses with my album-in-one plus .cue file

Because the Oppo reports SetNextAVTransportURI (gapless play)=NOT Supported, I am not going to split the DSDIFF + cuefile into individual .dff tracks, which would solve my original problem but create a new one with gaps.

I will instead use continue to use JRiver to pass PCM (up to 7.1Ch 24 bit 192kHz) to my surround sound processor via HDMI and bypass the Oppo completely, using 24bit 176kHz for DSD files.
My original intention was to use the DLNA function plus DSD over HDMI output function of the Oppo to get multichannel DSD out of the PC and into my DSD over HDMI Surround Sound Processor (which doesn't handle DoPE)

Thanks for the help!

AndrewFG:
Notwithstanding what I already said above, I do think that this could be an area where the guys at JRiver could improve the functionality (feature request).

Currently when the MC Control Point pushes a track to a renderer it sends the SetAVTransportURI() command followed by the Play() command (followed by subsequent SetAV[Next]TransportURI commands for the subsequent tracks); and it does that regardless of whether it is pushing a single track file or a multi track file with a CUE file.

Now I could imagine that for CUE based tracks MC could/should change its behavior to send a SetAVTransportURI() command, a Play() command, and insofar as the CUE track is not the first track a Seek() command to tell the renderer to move immediately to the right track.

Obviously MC would have to do some math to calibrate the offset used in its Seek commands to equal the CUE offset of the start of the track, plus the time offset within the track. And for its Playing Now display it would need to reverse that math so that the displayed position equals the actual position within the full file minus the CUE offset of the start of the track.

This could be one of those "too easy" improvement suggestions. => Any comments JimH ??

kr4:
I have just asked Jim H about mch/DSD over DLNA and he referred me back to this forum.  It is not just with the Oppo but with newer stand-alone DACs/Renderers that use ethernet.  I am using an exaSound PlayPoint as a renderer but have to install minimserver on my NAS because I cannot figure out how to get MC to send mch/DSD to it (even though both are accessing the same files on the NAS)..

First, I can get only PCM up to 192kHz, no DSD.
Second, with multichannel files (specifically converted DSD), 5.1 plays fine but 5.0 filesplay with the RS in the LS speaker and LS in the subwoofer.  In otherwords, with the LFE signal missing, the following ones are bumped up out of place.  This is with #channels set to either "Source# of channels" or to "5.1"  The latter usually fixes the problem with direct connections but not with DLNA.

Any help/insight would be appreciated as docs for DLNA configuration are skimpy.

Kal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version