INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems Ripping and Burning CDs  (Read 8647 times)

markallen248

• Recent member
Problems Ripping and Burning CDs
« on: November 10, 2015, 05:47:15 pm »

Hello,
In the past I never had an issue with ripping or burning CDs on my Mac Mini and Macbook Pro with my external LG Slim Portable CD/DVD drive. Lately for some reason I have nothing but problems. Blank disks are not recognized by Media Center 20.0.132. iTunes has no issue at all. When I insert a CD when Media Center is running the disc is not recognized. If I quit and restart Media Center with an audio CD already in the drive sometimes I'll have success reading the disc. Once the rip is complete and I eject the disc it won't recognize there is a disc in the drive. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.1 on both my Mac Mini and Macbook Pro. Same issue on both machines with the LG drive. What the heck is going on as this was never a problem in the past?

markallen248

• Recent member
Re: Problems Ripping and Burning CDs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 05:51:47 pm »

It's also worth noting that if I have the audio CD in the drive before starting Media Center it will try to read the audio CD, briefly show the song titles and then they disappear and it shows there is no disc in the drive. Maddening

markallen248

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 06:43:56 pm »

Lastly I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Still the same issue.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 07:36:38 pm »

For what it's worth...

A)  I had very inconsistent results with ripping CDs in MC20 for Mac.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.
B)  The CD issues with El Cap are well known and they are saying will be fixed in the next build of MC21.  This doesn't help you with MC20, but it's good to know that this is a widespread issue with El Cap and MC2X.
C)  There are lots of other programs that rip CDs for Mac.  I personally use XLD and have ripped hundreds of discs with it.  It integrates with MC quite well; just point it's output at a directory that MC does auto import on and it will see the files as they are ripped.

Good luck.

Brian.

markallen248

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 08:58:04 pm »

Thanks for the response. I have almost $100 invested in licensing over the past few years including a Master license. It is not reasonable to expect a customer to buy another upgrade to simply rip and burn discs. I'm hoping someone from JRiver will respond as I shouldn't have to keep spending money just to keep the software working. This is not acceptable.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:16:33 pm »

We have to continue to invest in the software to bring you things you want.

The download offers a 30 day trial of the full version.  If it isn't what you want, you don't need to buy it.

The upgrade is $26.98.

markallen248

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 07:34:39 am »

I shouldn't have to continue to invest to keep the software I purchase working. This is a horrible answer to a long time customer who is having a problem. Very disappointing that this the company answer. Very disappointing. All I want is the software to deliver on the promise.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 07:49:20 am »

Sorry you're disappointed.  We're just trying to do our job, but I can see you think we're not.

This might help explain how we work.

JRiver's Business Model

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 08:47:33 am »

Mr Allen,

(BTW, I don't work for JRiver, this is just my opinion)

A)  OS updates break things.  It's a fact of our computing world.  It's not fun for you that this happened; sorry for your luck.  This is one reason I stay away from early OS upgrades on my systems.
B)  I've offered you a free solution to your problem.  Sure, it's not what you're used to, and it will require a little bit of setup effort.  Things change.  People adapt.  Life moves on.

On the other hand, MC21 has some exciting new features that you might enjoy.  Video is the big one.  Video support is VASTLY improved in MC21.  I'm LOVING video support in MC now.  If you have a video collection, it might be worth it to upgrade.  ...and as Jim said, there's a 30 day free trial.  I've seen some weird issues with the trial period on systems that already have MC20 installed, but hopefully those are resolved, so you can fully test it.

So you've got some lemons on your table.  Let's make some lemonade.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up