INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video playback issues  (Read 3297 times)

Romas27

Video playback issues
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:57:52 pm »

At first I thought I had a problem with my AnyDVD software; but this problem became very obvious when I tried to watch Mission Impossible IV on BluRay.  My ripped copy would not play, it stayed in pause mode.  I gave up figuring I had a bad disk.  But then I bought the Disney short films collection and Media Center played only one of the selections before ending.  this was the same effect that I had experienced with a 2 movie DVD.
I also have Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 and just on a whim I tried to playback with that and it worked fine.  Now I was confused.  Maybe MediaCenter can't play rips properly - nope.  I tried to play the disk and the playback is wrong.  It won't even start at the beginning with the previews.  And it wouldn't play MI IV.
OK, so what is wrong in the programming?  
I have no problems with audio and I find this software to be be excellent; but what is the problem with video?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video playback issues
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 10:02:08 pm »

MC won't play an encrypted Blu-ray, or any 3D video. But it will play ripped, non-3D Blu-ray movies fine. It also plays DVDs correctly, and supports DVD menus.

When was your copy of AnyDVD last updated? The software needs to be updated regularly so that it is able to decrypt newer movies. PowerDVD also needs updates for newer movies, so if it is playing the Blu-rays correctly, then it must be getting the updates.

I recommend you have a read through the JRiver Wiki and search the forum for more information.

But, what is with the Poll? I don't think that is going to help fix your issues, even if you get thousands of people selecting "1", or "2". If you need more help, ask more questions, and keep it positive, then you will get lots of help.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 05:45:33 am »

Rod,
I removed the poll.

Romas,
Use "New Topic" in the upper right corner of the index page to start a new topic / thread.

Romas27

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:22:33 pm »

I have a permanent license with AnyDVD and I am always current.  I am also current with Cyberlink.
I had an issue before with a double movie disk and just assumed it was AnyDVD; but I have now come to realize that MediaCenter has an issue with movie playback.  That is what I am bringing up and hope that this problem can be resolved.
The perfect example is the new release of Walt Disney Short Films Collection.  Try and play the whole collection, you can't.
And this problem is not exclusive to BluRay.  I never noticed it because I had ANyDVD remove previews, etc.  Then I removed that option when I encountered this problem, no difference.
Regarding Mission Impossible, all of the movies 1 thru 3 show fine and I bought the BluRay collection.  I would expect any issue to be apparent with all the movies, not just the 4th one.
Cyberlink is not perfect and I prefer MediaCenter, so will there be a fix in the future?  I also have VLC but haven't checked if this is an issue with that program.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:35:53 am »

MC isn't a DVD player like a hardware player. It isn't going to force previews on to you unless you leave previews as forced when you rip. MC plays media files, and if you rip the whole disk, either to whole file system or to ISO, then you can use the DVD menu.

MC doesn't support Blu-ray menus, and therefore will never show you Blu-ray previews. You could rip the previews of course, but they will be separate media files, which you then play directly. Even if you insert a Blu-ray and play it, in my case using DVDfab to decrypt, MC will just play the main movie. In fact it did that for me just yesterday with a new Blu-ray disc.

Regarding Mission Impossible, all of the movies 1 thru 3 show fine and I bought the BluRay collection.  I would expect any issue to be apparent with all the movies, not just the 4th one.

The protection mechanisms used by the studios are constantly changing, so it is perfectly normal that the first three of a series of movies may play, but the fourth may not, unless the software you are using removes all forms of protection. As you say your copy of AnyDVD is up to date, then it should rip the movie and make it playable in MC. But only you can confirm that the movie has been ripped correctly. Of course PowerDVD will play it, since it can decrypt the movie anyway, and play directly from the disc if you want.

So, before blaming MC, you need to test if your rips play in other Media Players.

I can't make specific comments about the two disks you have mentioned, Walt Disney Short Films Collection and Mission Impossible IV, as I don't have them. But I do note that there were problems with AnyDVD and MI: IV when it first came out. Maybe there still are problems. You will need to check that out.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 04:28:32 am »

A lot of blurays show up with multiple equal tracks in rip software, E.g. makemkv. Then you will have to research what is the right one yourself. If you pick the wrong one, creative stuff like warning splash screens can show up some time into the movie. Or scenes are mixed wrongly. Or maybe other things.

Did you check if your disks could be like that?

Romas27

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:20:30 pm »

All rips are fine.  Disks are also fine.  Except for the isues with multiple movies on a disk and Mission Impossible, Media Center works just fine.  I rip without previews, I don't want them, so it''s nice to just have the movie play.
I guess my qustion really becomes, will there be any future improvements to MC so that all movie playback is correct?
I can use Power DVD for movies when I know I willhave an issue; but audio stays with MC - can't beat it.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 08:46:55 pm »

All rips are fine.  Disks are also fine. 

Are you sure?  Can you play these ripped files with a player that does NOT support DRM?  Can you play your rips with VLC for example?  Your DVD player software knows how to decrypt DVDs and BDs.  MC doesn't have decryption built in as far as I understand it.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up