INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Server 2012 R2  (Read 3803 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Windows Server 2012 R2
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:27:41 pm »

Thinking of changing my Media Center Server to Windows Server 2012 R2.  It's primary function is to record and serve TV using MC21.  I am currently running Windows 8.1.  Are there any known issues using this OS?

BTW, this is headless, and very rarely, if ever, will be required to render it's own video files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows Server 2012 R2
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:32:02 pm »

It isn't recommended or supported.  There are no advantages.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:36:31 pm »

The advantages are data de-duplication, as well as stability, and being able to have the latest OS without auto installing (and rebooting) updates.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 03:46:58 pm »

being able to have the latest OS without auto installing (and rebooting) updates.

Server 2012 R2 is roughly the same as 8.1 both in "age" and the ability to control windows updates.

In any case, a number of people around here use MC on such systems, note however that we do not officially support it, and any troubles that originate specifically from running on that OS may or may not receive any attention.

Specifically, do not run the so called "Core" edition of the server without a UI, it won't work with MC.

That said, it generally works fine if you take care to setup some of the optional parts that don't come with a basic Server 2012 R2 install, since Microsoft considers them "desktop" features.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

dean70

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 11:26:29 pm »

Thinking of changing my Media Center Server to Windows Server 2012 R2.  It's primary function is to record and serve TV using MC21.  I am currently running Windows 8.1.  Are there any known issues using this OS?

BTW, this is headless, and very rarely, if ever, will be required to render it's own video files.

Server 2012 doesn't have BDA components installed, so software cannot talk to TV Tuner cards; however it can be retrofitted.  ;)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:55:15 am »

Server 2012 doesn't have BDA components installed, so software cannot talk to TV Tuner cards; however it can be retrofitted.  ;)
Good to know...thanks!

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 09:51:54 am »

So I installed Server 2012 R2 on a test machine and have been running it for a couple weeks now.  (obviously I added the BDA components...thanks for the heads up dean70!)

There have been no issues at all, so for now, I am going to move my main server over to it.  The Windows 8.1 install is having issues, and I am afraid of moving my server to Win 10 because I can't turn off Windows updates, only delay them.  I don't want it rebooting when some of my process are running, and I typically have stuff running off of it all the time.

If I discover any issues, I will post back here just so other users know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up