INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip Blu-ray HD audio tracks  (Read 11924 times)

KBozenski

Rip Blu-ray HD audio tracks
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:27:06 pm »

I just purchased the Beatles 1 Blu-ray disc which has 24/96 audio.  I'm running JRiver Media Center 21.  Is there a way for me to rip just the audio from teh disc and store as separate audio tracks?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Rip Blu-ray HD audio tracks
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:04:59 pm »

Welcome to the forum! 

You can "Manage Music Videos Like CDs" and then extract the Audio, here is the process.

1) Make sure you can Play/Rip BDs in General Using MC : http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray
2) Once Ripped, you need to make a "Particle" for each of the Chapters/Tracks : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100436.0
3) MC's Convert Format can then convert the Audio Tracks to FLAC etc : https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convert_Format

Regrading Point 2, I did a quick check of ChatperDB and it does not look like anyone has uploaded the Chapter/Track info for this disk yet so you will have to manually tag in the names etc.
JRiver CEO Elect

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 03:14:14 am »

Alternatively, use:

http://www.dvdae.com/ (will also need AnyDVD to decrypt the disc)

This software allows you to explore the disc contents and select which streams you want to rip and will do individual tracks for you.  You then import the results into MC...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 04:29:11 am »

Happy to be corrected but, DVD Audio Extractor can not decode lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit) so you only get the lossy 48/16 DTS "core".

My disc comes with a 96kHz DTS stream, but the extracted result shows as 48kHz. Why?

This is a known limit. For DTS-ES and DTS-HD MA streams which come with a core stream and one or more extended streams, only the core stream (48kHz) is currently decoded by DVD Audio Extractor. And this limit only exists on DTS format. For all other formats like MLP, TrueHD, LPCM, etc, all sample rates are supported. We do look forward to adding full DTS support in the future.
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 01:05:45 pm »

Happy to be corrected but, DVD Audio Extractor can not decode lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit) so you only get the lossy 48/16 DTS "core".

Actually I am pretty sure we get 48/24 PCM and not the lossy core.  But still not the full 96/24.  We have been waiting for DVDae to fix this for years.  Often there is a separate 96/24 PCM audio track as well but only about 50% of the time.

Carl.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 01:48:56 pm »

Hi Carl, It's only been recently that a Open Source DTS-HD MA decoder has become available (who knows maybe DVDAE will now use that?).  Anyway DTS-HD MA was designed for "backward compatibility" with a DTS "core" (aka original lossy DTS) that can be decoded by any DTS device and a lossless extension for newer DTS-HD MA devices.  If you only get the core, you only get lossy DTS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 09:34:12 pm »

That may be.  But I think you are still confusing a few things.

With DTS 96/24  (Not DTS-HD MA) DVDAE will rip it as PCM 48/24 (Lossless) even though I am pretty sure that DTS 96/24 is a "Lossy" codec.

As far as I can tell most DTS-HD MA tracks are 48KHz not 96Khz and DVDAE rips those as PCM 48/24 as well.  I haven't tried it recently but I am pretty sure that with DTS-HD MA tracks that are 96/24 DVDAE rips those as PCM 96/24 which is lossless.

Carl.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:13:11 pm »

Hi Carl,

The OP has the  Beatles 1 Blu-ray disc which includes a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit) audio track.  I have no idea what the sample rate and bit depth the lossy DTS Core is on this disk as it is only used for backward compatibility with device/sw that can only decode DTS.

Back to DVDAE.  It's not their PCM encoder that is limiting but their inability to decode DTS-HD MA.  According to the DVDAE FAQ it is only able to read the legacy DTS lossy core from these DTS-MA HD tracks.  Any prog that is only decoding the core is decoding lossy DTS even if it then subsequently encodes it to PCM/FLAC etc regardless of the Sample Rate and Bit depth.

In comparison, MC can decode the full lossless DTS-MA HD track and hence create a perfect lossless encode as FLAC/WAV at any of the std combinations of Channels, Sample Rates and Bit depth.  So if the OP wants to rip the Audio from a BD with DTS-HD MA 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit) audio track and wants a bit identical 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit) track but in FLAC or WAV then MC is the go. 

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 10:26:23 pm »

I see.

My mistake.  I just reread the FAQ on DVDAE site and you are right.  It affects all of the high end DTS codecs.  I guess I first encountered it with the DTS 96/24 discs and didn't realize it affected all of the DTS codecs.  But I also think the reason I did not take note is because most of the music discs with a DTS-HD track also have a PCM lossless track which I guess I have been extracting instead.

Not too sure what the difference would be between a PCM 5.1 and a DTS-HD 5.1 track though?

But after this thread I think I will take a closer look at using MC21 for ripping my Blu-ray audio discs.

Carl.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 10:39:46 pm »

No probs.  DTS-HD MA now exists on almost 85% of all BD ever released with TrueHD and LPCM continuing to drop off.  While DTS-HD MA is hugely popular on BD, the issue was until this year there was no open source decoder... so smaller devs had to either just support the core or use a hack of the Arcsoft decoder.  Thankfully that is now all behind us! 

MC can do it all but JR have not (yet) added the ability to auto create chapter entries for a BD... and this can be time consuming to do by hand.  To help automate this part, have a look at my Manage Music Videos Like CD thread.  It will auto break up a BD into chapters (songs) that you can then keep as is or convert to pure audio using MC's existing function.   

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 01:15:36 am »

Seems to me that TruHD is making a bit of a comeback because of ATMOS.

Seeing a lot more titles in the last year or so with TruHD 7.1 and ATMOS.

Carl

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 05:07:56 am »

It will be interesting to see how all the 3D Audio codecs go.  At the moment they are a very small fraction of the current BD base but I guess it will depend on how keen people are to install the extra speakers.  I'm not sure it will be that popular but I've been wrong many time before!
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 01:58:44 pm »

Yeah.  Personally it will be some time before I get around to installing additional speakers in the ceiling.  Especially with my vaulted / angled ceiling in my living room  lol.

Carl.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 03:07:03 am »

MC can do it all but JR have not (yet) added the ability to auto create chapter entries for a BD... and this can be time consuming to do by hand. 

Yes, it was this fact that made me suggest DVD Audio Extractor.  But as noted, it doesn't handle high rate DTS well.

Given that MC can rip, it really should be handling chapters by now... and would potentially make it the defacto tool for ripping audio BD.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 03:17:37 am »

The request to particlise by chapters is years old.... and in the interim MrC added the feature to his MCUtils which was what lead me to then write the AHK script that does what is needed and you don't even have to leave the MC GUI to run it + it will grab the meta data for most!
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 09:51:18 am »

Where does one find more info on "Mcutils"?  Is this a plugin that we install?

Carl

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 01:10:42 am »

Info for both MCUtils and the Capterfy is in the 3rd Party Board
Chapterfy - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100436.0
MCUtils - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100449.0
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up