INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Dropouts  (Read 3499 times)

Donmc

• Recent member
Audio Dropouts
« on: November 27, 2015, 12:12:34 pm »

I have a Dell desktop computer running Windows 10 (64-bit) with 4 Gb of RAM and am currently using JRiver Media Center 20 as my music software.  I have ripped more than 1200 CD's to an NAS drive and have added numerous downloads.

I am experiencing an almost constant problem with audio dropouts.  I notice they are particularly bad when accessing editing metadata in Media Center or accessing websites so I have closed all applications including my anti-virus program and, although the dropouts are less frequent, they still occur several times per minute.  Is there anything I can do short of moving JR Media Center to a dedicated computer?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio Dropouts
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 12:18:05 pm »

Normally, a NAS connection should be fast enough for ordinary audio.

What are you playing to?

What format are the files?

If it is the antivirus software, disabling it may not be enough.  Uninstalling is the only certain way to eliminate it as the source.

Donmc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:35:10 pm »

The files all play well when streamed via Wi-fi to audio receivers in other rooms.

When I tried installing Media Center 21 on a laptop, it would play the files via Wi-fi but there were often breaks of several seconds for buffering (aside from losing a lot of my painstakingly edited metadata and crashing when I tried to import playlists).

They are .wav and flac files up to 96/24.

I am playing via USB to a separate DAC.

Uninstalling the anti-virus is not an option for me.  Too dangerous!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 02:57:42 pm »

Just to test.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 07:41:50 am »

ok but at least exclude your media files, you don't want them scanned before/during playback. If you are paranoid manually scan them once a month.

I'd check that you are not upsampling also, applying a lot of DSPson the lap top which the. Slow networks and WIFI don't work well with big files, especially when DSP's are applied.  Try a direct lan connection or another way other than WIFI to check if this disappears.

I don't understand what you mean by losing metadata though?? The laptop is acting as a client right?? or is it the machine running as media server?

Donmc

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 04:03:55 pm »

Thanks again for your help.

I think (fingers crossed) that I have solved the problem.  I had updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and noted in some forums that there were audio problems with Windows 10.  As a result, I reinstalled the driver for my external DAC (Resonessence Herus) and it is working well now. :)

As you suggest, I will try having my anti-virus ignore my media files on the NAS drive.

The Wi-Fi was working fine on other connections (WD TV Live, an LG Smart TV and an Onkyo receiver) although I intend to try an Ethernet connection as well.

I installed Media Center 21 on the laptop and accessed the media files on the NAS drive via Wi-fi.  Does that make the laptop a client or a media server?  Some of the metadata (cover art, titles, notes, etc.) were fine but a great many were not visible in MC 21.  It makes me nervous (paranoid?) about updating to MC 21.  The laptop is an old one with Windows Vista and I have considered updating that too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up