INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compatible 3rd Party Frontends  (Read 5604 times)

pauljhammond

• Recent member
Compatible 3rd Party Frontends
« on: December 05, 2015, 09:23:15 pm »

Are there any compatible front ends for JRiver (i.e. Kodi, Sage, etc.)?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Compatible 3rd Party Frontends
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:09:07 am »

Did you find Theater View (part of MC)?  Hit F11 a couple of times or choose it from the View menu.

pauljhammond

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 08:59:32 pm »

I was looking for compatible Linux and/or Mac front ends. Theater View is not yet available on these platforms in JRiver.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 02:22:19 am »

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

pauljhammond

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 07:30:44 pm »

I was looking for a 3rd Party Front End that is also a 10 Foot interface, since neither the Linux or Mac client support the Theater View.

connersw

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 12:26:41 pm »

You can use UPnP in Kodi to view your MC Library.  I have done it on Amazon FireTV and FireTV Sticks.  It does have a few disadvantages:

1) You need to be on the same network as MC (so either at home or set up a VPN to log into)
2) Not all of the meta data shows up in Kodi as it would if the files were imported directly into a Kodi library.  For example, with Movies, you get Cover Art, Genre, Description, and Duration.  But you don't get Background Images (since it isn't scraping) or Actors.  Also, all my Dates show up as 1905 for some reason under media info.  The Date field will get passed correctly though if you have customized your MC Server views by Date.
3) As a result of above, you loose a lot of the dynamic capabilities of Kodi.  For example, looking up other Movies in your Library with the same Actor.
4) Due to the UPnP standard, Cover Art is sent as a dynamic address.  As a result, your Cover Art thumbnails get jacked up by changes to your MC Library.  Every couple days on the Kodi client, I delete the Thumbnails folder as well as the Textures13.db file in the Database, then reboot Kodi.  It then rebuilds the thumbnails as you go.  It's a pretty nuclear fix, but Kodi rebuilds thumbnails quickly.
5)  There is an issue with Kodi where it doesn't always show up as a Renderer in MC.  Usually restarting the MC server fixes it if you want to push from MC.  The biggest issue is when you're trying to use Gizmo as a DMC remote, it is very difficult to get Kodi to show up as a client to play to.  For some reason, it does seem to show up on BubbleUPnP more regularly, so I just change aps.  Hopefully, this will be fixed in Isengard:  http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15636

More info: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/UPnP_Server_and_Devices_%28Media_Receivers%29
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_UPnP

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 04:49:20 pm »

Oh for Theater View on Linux (and TV)   ;D...

pauljhammond

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 09:41:58 pm »

Ok, I have another thread going about my inability to connect to my Windows 10 server running JRiver from my Mac and Linux box. I have two Windows 10 clients that connect flawlessly. I can install the JRiver client on both the Mac and Linux box and CAN connect to the library and see the recorded TV shows listed. When I try to play them, it says the files are unable to opened. I installed Kodi and have the same results when trying to connect to UPnP. I have VLC installed on my Mac as well and CAN connect to the library and actually PLAY the content using UPnP with no problem. This leads me to believe that my Windows 10 server IS setup correctly and that my Mac IS configured to connect correctly as well. This would indicate a configuration issue with the JRiver client and the Kodi client on the Mac and Linux box. Any idea what the missing piece of the puzzle is in Kodi or the JRiver Client? Ideally I would like to use Kodi because of the 10 foot interface.

PS. Theater View would be optimal in future releases for the Mac and Linux versions :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 02:08:19 am »

Please use a thread with an appropriate title.  UPnP discussion is on the Media Network board.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 02:24:21 am »

Oh for Theater View on Linux (and TV)   ;D...
We'll get to Theater View.

pauljhammond

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 09:48:01 pm »

Ok, I actually got both my Mac and Linux box to connect and play video using Kodi as a frontend from my Windows 10 PC. I think the key was to wait awhile for the lan to catch up because I didn't anything other than try again later. Now my next question would be what's the best Kodi addon to use as a PVR?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 02:18:51 am »

If you can play ts files from Kodi, you might be able to just set up MC to record what you want and then play it in Kodi.  MC can act as the DVR.

Our Developer page has some tools that might be useful.  MCWS is our web services interface.  You can use it to control MC from another program.  Link at the bottom of this page in the fine print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up