INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sudden Distortion during playback!  (Read 4568 times)

Oliverlim

• Recent member
Sudden Distortion during playback!
« on: December 06, 2015, 10:24:43 pm »

I have been using MC21 with my Chord Mojo to a Class D amp to my KEF speakers for sometime now.

This morning, something happen and I sure hope I did not destroy my KEF tweeter/midrange drivers.

When I was listening to a song at a relatively low volume, the sound just turned into a extremely loud "pink or white noise" type sound! It was almost at full volume or basically at what I had stated at maximum volume (75).  I was so shocked that it took me a while to react. I switched off my amp and waited a while. I switched off the mojo and checked JRiver. It seems like the USB device was not detected by JRiver, But I just rebooted the system and prayed my tweeter was not blown.  Everything seems all right after the reboot. Not sure exactly what happened. JRiver/Windows lost connection to the Chord? The chord seems to be working and the batt is almsot fully charged when it was playing. The amp? Did not seem like a problem. I checked all the cables and everything seem intact. My speakers seem ok. I was luckily around when it happened. If I was at the toilet or out having a snack, I am sure my speakers would have been blown.

Any ideas what could have happen and how I can prevent this? Makes me worry about the reliability of a PC based system now....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sudden Distortion during playback!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:17 am »

What version of MC are you using?

MC has a setting for "Volume Protection" under Audio.

Oliverlim

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:33:45 pm »

What version of MC are you using?

MC has a setting for "Volume Protection" under Audio.

The latest. I just updated a few days ago. So it could be the latest release that introduce this issue. I do have my volume protection at about 7db below the reference volume calibration levels. That's probably what saved my speakers.  I hate to think what would have happen it I left it at 100.

bluecollartweaker

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:53:02 am »

I have been using MC21 with my Chord Mojo to a Class D amp to my KEF speakers for sometime now.

This morning, something happen and I sure hope I did not destroy my KEF tweeter/midrange drivers.

When I was listening to a song at a relatively low volume, the sound just turned into a extremely loud "pink or white noise" type sound! It was almost at full volume or basically at what I had stated at maximum volume (75).
Same thing happened to me the other night, except I was listening to headphones thru my Parasound ZDac in USB mode (WASAPI).  Scared the crap out of me and I think I jumped out of my chair. I'm using current version 21 on a 30-day trial. Noise happened multiple times - sometimes for just a split second and others for an extended period (and there was a long stretch when everything was fine). JRiver volume setting was Internal Volume (100%) so the Zdac was actually controlling the volume. Switched to Kernel Streaming and noise didn't occur again (my ears were thankful).
Notes - Noise occurred on multiple file formats; problem didn't arise using Dragonfly the day before; I've been a long time user of foobar/MusicBee/Winamp and nothing like this ever happened.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:44:12 am »

What OS?

What version of MC?

WASAPI in both cases?

WASAPI has two modes.  Check the settings.  Some DAC's work with the older mode (non Event Style).

Any antivirus software in use?

bluecollartweaker

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 05:36:08 am »

What OS?

What version of MC?

WASAPI in both cases?

WASAPI has two modes.  Check the settings.  Some DAC's work with the older mode (non Event Style).

Any antivirus software in use?

Windows 7 / MC v.21.0.23 / didn't try WASAPI non Event but I will next time / no antivirus software in use
Pages: [1]   Go Up