INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony NW-ZX2 cover art problem  (Read 5644 times)

matty

• Recent member
Sony NW-ZX2 cover art problem
« on: December 14, 2015, 01:25:46 pm »

Help please. I am using JRiver 21 to manage my music and have used it to transfer a lot of music onto an sd card in my Sony NW-ZX2 walkman.

I am using the music app on my NW-ZX2 (which is different from the music app on Sony phones).  All works well apart from the fact that album cover art is not showing on about 10% of the albums. JRiver shows no missing cover art. Sound quality is fantastic.

Using Google play music on the Walkman, all the cover art is shown fine. Using Media Monkey all the cover art is also shown correctly, but Power amp does shows the same missing cover art as the Sony app so I think its a problem with the coding in the tags. I have looked at the tag information on the mp3 files on my pc and they show that the cover art is embedded (this is the only method the Sony uses).

As I'd prefer to use the Walkman music app does anyone have any idea how to fix my problem?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sony NW-ZX2 cover art problem
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 07:21:09 pm »

Look for any differences in the cover art on the files that don't work, compared to the ones that DO work.

I suspect one of two things is different with the ones that don't work:

1.  Format.  Maybe some of your art is PNG and some is JPEG.  A lot of players don't support PNG art work.
2.  Size.  Maybe some of your art is really large, or really small?  Maybe the Sony only supports art up to a certain size like 800x800 pixels.

Just some ideas.

Brian.

Maxpower

Re: Sony NW-ZX2 cover art problem
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »

As a Sony zx2 owner myself, I have found the solution. The issue is that Album Cover Art Work cannot be a 'progressive' encoded jpeg. Only 'Baseline' encoded jpeg files will work.

That applies to images saved in the same album folder (folder.jpg) and/or artwork embedded into tags (ID X.X Tags or Vorbis Comments).

I'll let others call out their favorite image editing app (Irfanview, Xnview, etc) but you just need to re-save your image file as non-progressive.

The process I followed was;
* extract all my embedded image files (used Tag&Rename)
* scan all the directories for 'progressive' jpegs (exiftool)
* losslessy re-encode the jpegs to 'baseline' (jpegtran)
* re-embed all the modified image files back into the music files (dbpoweramp batch encoder)
* and finally - recopy those files to my Sony zx2

Hope this helps someone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up