INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Keyboard Volume control until after first screen save - JRiver 20 Mac  (Read 8483 times)

GeorgeBoles

• Recent member

Good Afternoon All,

I have started using MC 20 or Mac again in the last few days and I have noticed that I do not have control of the volume or any other player features (stop, mute, fast forward, etc) from my Mac Keyboard (the wireless one without the number pad) until after the mac has gone into screen saver the first time.

The messages are being sent across from the keyboard because I get a large screen icon indicating that I cannot control the player from the keyboard ... something with a line through it.

Also the volume function works fine from my the mac fingerpad/mousepad.

I have tried changing the volume control function from internal volume to system and disabled and back with no joy.

Thereafter it appears to work just fine.

I cannot recall if it used to behave like this, because the learning curve for Macintosh and JRiver are so steep and it is so long since I have used the whole setup.

Why is this? Can it be fixed?

Or is it just a MC 20 problem and not an MC21 problem?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,
George

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: No Keyboard Volume control until after first screen save - JRiver 20 Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:48:57 am »

same here, been broke since late mc20 build.  for me it won't work until you click the mouse on the mc window and then use the media keys while mc is selected after that it seems to work.

GeorgeBoles

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 06:09:43 pm »

Hmmm. It seems to be some sort of problem with the program or Macintosh getting focus after login. Being a new Mac user I can not work out anything more.

This is a problem because I am trying to make using JRiver a nearly automatic process from the time you turn on the computer to the time you choose the albums you want to play for my wife and me

Anyone else with other ideas?

George

GeorgeBoles

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:31:08 pm »

Broken since late mc20 build.  For me it won't work until you click the mouse on the mc window and then use the media keys while mc is selected after that it seems to work.

This problem is frustrating ... it is just one more thing that my wife (who still is not convinced about having our CD collection on hard drive) and I have to do to safely get some music playing.

Dfortney your solution works so thank-you for that.

But, really, using any part of JRiver should allow us to access the volume controls until focus is moved to another program.

Regards to all,
George.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 10:21:35 am »

What happens if you leave the computer running and don't shut it down?  Have you tried sleep instead of shut down?

Brian.

GeorgeBoles

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:22:57 am »

Hi Brian.

I never leave the Macintosh on. I always shut it down. I have never used sleep mode.

I THINK that my "no volume control" problem most certainly occurs when I "quit" JRiver before shutting down the Macintosh, in other words when I am being as gentle as possible with the computer.

Because I am using this system like a super duper multi-CD player, I do one of two things at the end of a listening session:

• Gracefully shut down the Macintosh (rarely - because it takes so long to do and all I want to do is go to bed) OR
  • Turn the whole hifi, Mac and all, off at the wall - evil some would say - but saves electricity

Therefore I rely on the Macintosh functions to "start things up where they were in the event of a power failure" OR "start things up as they were when I gracefully shut down" to get back to where I was.

I could try the sleep thing if it would help, but I will have to work out how to do it, and not being a Mac bloke it could take some time   ;D

Regards,
George

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 09:42:32 am »

You're making things hard on yourself.  Just leave it on and be done with it.  Free advice. :)

Brian.

GeorgeBoles

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 09:32:34 pm »

I am pretty sure that it is a problem of JRiver for Mac not getting "focus".

The Keyboard Controls ALL work if first I open another program, usually Firefox, and click in there.

On returning to JRiver the controls always work.

Regards,
George.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 08:19:40 pm »

yeah this is simply a failure of JRiver to capture the media keys control until you actually click into JRiver and select something.  They really need to fix this to grab control of the media keys on launch regardless of ever being given window focus.  it is a terribly annoying bug in my opinion one of the worst bugs of the entire program since it causes issues like you are explaining.

to be honest sleeping the computer doesn't always work either because that seems to mess up JRiver's connection to a DAC and typically you need to restart JRiver after waking from sleep to properly communicate with the DAC.

GeorgeBoles

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 11:41:01 pm »

Thanks for your help, D'Fortney. I have only just seen it now four years later, but better late than ever.

At least I know I am not doing anything stupid.

Cheers,
George.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 07:39:41 am »

MC20 is a very old version.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 03:23:33 pm »

MC20 is a very old version.

MC28 still has this bug though.  I had to write a small AppleScript that launches MC and toggles the keyboard prefs to get media keys to work reliably after launch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up