INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Messy auto-import  (Read 5358 times)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
Messy auto-import
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:01:49 am »

Hello

I've noticed that the time it takes for MC21 to re-scan the library is unpredictable, sometimes after half an hour is not sufficient to refresh the albums.
So I trigger manual rescan, but here I hit another issue. The 'recently imported' albums got mixed up, they no longer reflect the order of being imported

Can we get this fixed?

thanks,

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Messy auto-import
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:39:02 am »

More details might help.  Are your files stored on a very slow drive, like a slow NAS server for example?

Are you moving files around in between imports?  If you move a file outside of MC, it will find it again, but it will be considered a new import, which would change the order as you have observed.  MC has powerful ways of moving and reorganizing files built in with the Rename, Move, and Copy tool.

Brian.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:06:23 am »

Hello, thanks for reply.

It is a NAS, but I would not call it a slow one

I don't move the files once there are there.

Same happens BTW with my friend's setup, he has a different NAS, same computer setup

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 10:10:53 am »

Maybe I misunderstood your statement.  Are you saying auto import takes more than 30 minutes from the time it starts to the time it stops?  Or are you saying that it might take more than 30 minutes for auto import to start once you have added new files?

Auto Import relies upon "file system events" to trigger MC to run the Auto Import process.  Some NAS don't support file system events (or need a firmware update to enable them).  So MC runs a full scan once every few hours (I think it's two hours but not sure).  That would account for slowness in starting auto import.

I'm not sure why auto import would move around the import dates on any files.  Maybe you have some duplicate albums or songs?  I'm just guessing.

Maybe someone else has more information about this.

Brian.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:15:48 am »

Thanks

1) I think you answered on my first question. Can I reduce the two-hour frequency to 30 minutes then?
2) Regarding the import dates, it is probably a bug. I definitely see the albums on the top of my list I entered into the system around 3-4 years back. Is there a way to troubleshoot this somehow?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 10:26:06 am »

1) I think you answered on my first question. Can I reduce the two-hour frequency to 30 minutes then?

Not that I'm aware of.  You might be able to automate it with MC's various control interfaces (MCWS, etc) in some way, but I'm not sure.

2) Regarding the import dates, it is probably a bug. I definitely see the albums on the top of my list I entered into the system around 3-4 years back. Is there a way to troubleshoot this somehow?

I'm not sure where to start on that.  Hopefully someone else will have something to say.

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 10:44:39 am »

Thanks

I see this happening if you have online metadata lookup/submissions checked under options and info for a particular artist/cd gets changed, not necessarily by you. If you make a major change to a particular artist/cd it will trigger the update....

EDIT: also if you have that artist/cd loaded into another player say like WMP it is notorious for doing such things. If so I would disable it altogether!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 01:05:42 pm »

I don't have another player (anywhere on the home network, audio folders are played exclusively by JRiver)

I disabled the checkboxes under General / Meta Data for submission

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 09:47:00 am »

Can I reduce the two-hour frequency to 30 minutes then?

Not that I'm aware of.  You might be able to automate it with MC's various control interfaces (MCWS, etc) in some way, but I'm not sure.

Yes, you can, and there are instructions for it for Windows the Auto-Import wiki article:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

Brian, if you ever need to, this can easily be done on OSX too, I was just too lazy to write up instructions.

I'm fairly skeptical here, as we'd see people with crazy eyes crawling out of the woodwork. I'm certainly NOT seeing anything similar.

I'd recommend disabling the Fix Broken Links feature of Auto-Import, and see if it goes away. The default Fix Broken Links feature tries to protect network volumes, but is not 100% foolproof. If files are being removed and then re-added (which can happen with some NAS devices, and I suspect the Venn diagram of those that don't support filesystem events and those that cause Fix Broken Links problems probably overlap somewhat).

In any case, if the following is occurring:

1. Files are imported from an external or network volume.
2. The files suddenly seem to "re-import" based on [Date Imported]
3. Other metadata remains intact

Those would be tell-tale signs of Auto-Import removing (because it thinks they're missing) and then re-importing tracks via the Fix Broken Links feature. It sounds like you don't need that feature anyway from your description of how you use the NAS. Just turn it off.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 12:16:39 am »

- My NAS is going to sleep completely after couple of hours. Wakeup is performed manually via 'magic packet'
- All drives are going to standby after half an hour or so, and it will require some time to wake them up (automatically)

If auto-import will run, won't it remove any files?

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 08:17:05 am »

^ Yes, if fix broken links is set to YES, it will remove files.  That's why Glynor is recommending that you set Fix Broken Links to:  NO.

You can find that setting under:  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Configure auto import > Tasks > Fix Broken links

Brian.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 08:22:36 am »

Thanks.

But if I once DO move files around (not part of my daily routine, but sometimes I find and remove duplicates), how will it remove these (broken) links?

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 08:35:23 am »

Well, if fix broken links is set to No, then it won't fix broken links.  :)

The answers to this are two fold:  One is to fix the broken links yourself.  It's pretty easy to build a broken links SmartList and then remove all of them.  I can show you how if you want.

The other answer is to do your file maintenance from inside of MC, that way MC knows about everything and you'll never have any broken links to start with.

The Rename, Move, and Copy tool can be used to move things around in very powerful flexible ways.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

It's a REALLY awesome tool that can help you organize things exactly as you want, and can apply templates based on metadata to really keep things organized.

Of course, MC can also just delete files directly if you want to remove things:  Just highlight and press delete.  Then take the option to "move files to recycle bin".

Brian.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 08:42:49 am »

OK,

understood.

I can also turn the 'fix..' to 'on', run manual import, then turn it to 'off', right?

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 08:45:07 am »

I think that will work, but I haven't tried it.  You could do an experiment with a couple of files to prove the functionality.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up