INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DirectX Host not working with WMA?  (Read 1894 times)

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
DirectX Host not working with WMA?
« on: August 28, 2003, 11:20:09 am »

Just downloaded and started playing with the beta of the DirectX Host plug-in. Very cool! One question: it seems to not work with WMA files. When I play back a WMA file, the plug-in shows zero input (although the sound does play back). When I switch to an MP3 file, the plug-in gets input and the effects are applied.

I know this is a beta plug-in, so I'm not asking anybody official for "support". I'm just asking for anybody who feels generous and might have a suggestion as to if there's anything I can do about this.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DirectX Host not working with WMA?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 12:39:56 pm »

DirectHost isn't an "authorized" plugin so we can't safely enable it for all WMA files.

However, next build will be smarter and only disable it for protected WMA files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 04:26:07 pm »

Good to know that you guys plan to have a "next build" of DX Host. If you feel like it, could you say more about what makes an "authorized" plug-in and why an "authorized" plug-in would handle WMA files differently from MP3, or non-DRM WMA files differentfly from DRM WMA files? I'm just curious to learn more about how MC works...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 05:52:19 pm »

I think by next build, he meant the next build of MC, which is out now.

"Authorized" probably means Microsoft approved.  We have a license with Microsoft to play their DRM protected files.  To get it, we had to agree to play by their rules.  The object of this is to prevent us allowing a "bad" plug-in to be inserted in the stream and capture the digital output.  We can't do this by the terms of the license agreement and so we won't do it.

If you aren't trying to defeat the Windows Media protection, it has absolutely no effect.  The files will just play.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 08:02:06 pm »

Does that have the knock on effect that WMA DRM files would never be able to go through the DRC solution that is being worked on currently ?

Not that I use WMA at all yet just curious...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 03:24:57 am »

Probably.  I don't know what the "certification" process is, but I'd guess it's difficult.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 05:12:36 am »

I think by next build, he meant the next build of MC, which is out now.

Well, that's cool. *runs to download*

"Authorized" probably means Microsoft approved.  We have a license with Microsoft to play their DRM protected files.  To get it, we had to agree to play by their rules.  The object of this is to prevent us allowing a "bad" plug-in to be inserted in the stream and capture the digital output.  We can't do this by the terms of the license agreement and so we won't do it.

If you aren't trying to defeat the Windows Media protection, it has absolutely no effect.  The files will just play.

That's kind of what I figured. MS licenses the WMA SDK to you on the condition that you don't make plugins that defeat DRM.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 05:51:17 am »

If the WMA file isn't protected it'll pass through any DSP -- including the DRC plugin PhatPhreddy mentioned.

We only require a DSP to be authorized as "safe" for protected WMA files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up