INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can output bit depth be made to match source bit depth?  (Read 1606 times)

Paul Coddington

• Recent member
Can output bit depth be made to match source bit depth?
« on: January 08, 2016, 10:56:34 pm »

With the latest version of MC, Automatic mode sends 16-bit files to the DAC as 24-bit. However, the best results are obtained when 16-bit is sent as 16-bit (the sound is horribly compressed and the stereo image is badly out of focus when outputting 16-bit as 24-bit).

However, if I force 16-bit playback to fix this problem, then my 24-bit files are converted to 16-bit as well.

Is there any way around this? Can we have an extra option added at some point to preserve original bit-depth and only convert when necessary?

The need on my current setup is to output 16-bit as 16-bit and 24-bit as 24-bit.

Thanks.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can output bit depth be made to match source bit depth?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:17:15 am »

Your DAC must be broken if the two sound different.
It literally just adds zeroes to the end of the 16-bit values and should sound identical.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can output bit depth be made to match source bit depth?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 05:46:07 am »

Your DAC must be broken if the two sound different.
It literally just adds zeroes to the end of the 16-bit values and should sound identical.
I don't know about broken, but I agree the SQ shouldn't change unless your DAC can't handle the set-up as configured.

What you might want to check is to see if your DAC (external?) has its own native Asio driver ... if so and you have not installed it you should probably. You should also experiment with the other bit depth device options other than automatic -- like the 32bit if your dac is in 32bits or the other bit integer options ... I think they are there to accommodate specific DACs that could have issues. Have you tried these other choices?

Another thing which is sort of a work around is to set up a zone for 24bit files and a zone for 16bit ones and use switch rule ... you can then configure each zone to play at the desired bit rate. However, you shouldn't need to do this
Pages: [1]   Go Up