INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong bitdepth with XMOS Thesycon ASIO driver  (Read 5101 times)

klapaciuss

• Recent member
Wrong bitdepth with XMOS Thesycon ASIO driver
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:41:48 am »

Hello.

I have exactly the same problem with the same ASIO driver (Thesycon ASIO driver) as described in this old thread (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81490.0). This driver is common for big number of XMOS based asynchronous USB DAC solutions.

JRiver MC21 sent to this ASIO driver audio data in 32bit format but 24bit is correct value. Is there any possibility force 24bit format for data sending to this ASIO driver? For example in reqistry or configuration file or other solution?

Thanks.

Regrads.

Marek

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Wrong bitdepth with XMOS Thesycon ASIO driver
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:07:53 am »

Oh boy, ASIO drivers request a certain bitdepth and we honor it.  I don't think a setting makes a lot of sense.

Maybe something else is going on?  Not sure what, but the ASIO bitdepth code is pretty bullet proof.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 10:09:16 am »

There is an option in the ASIO settings that reads "Device uses only most significant 24bit" which will make MC treat audio as if its 24-bit even if its sending 32 bit.
If the driver asks for 32-bit there is no way to override that directly, but that option will allow MC to ensure the audio is properly designed for a 24-bit DAC.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

klapaciuss

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 11:51:55 am »

Oh boy, ASIO drivers request a certain bitdepth and we honor it.  I don't think a setting makes a lot of sense.

Maybe something else is going on?  Not sure what, but the ASIO bitdepth code is pretty bullet proof.

In ASIO driver Control panel is set 24bit (see attachment below) but MC21 output is automatically set to 32bit. Manual change is not possible. Hardware (USB to SPDIF converter) is not able to work with 32bit word (http://www.casea.eu/produkty.php?p=Casea%20Aquila). When WASAPI is used in place of ASIO (with the same hardware) MC21 correctly and automatically switch output to 24bit.

With 32bit output there is probably truncating to 24bit on ASIO driver level but without correct dithering. It results in worse sound quality on ASIO in comparison with WASAPI output with the same hardware.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 11:54:08 am »

With 32bit output there is probably truncating to 24bit on ASIO driver level but without correct dithering. It results in worse sound quality on ASIO in comparison with WASAPI output with the same hardware.

Hence the option I mentioned to set MC to produce 24-bit audio inside the 32-bit bitstream.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

klapaciuss

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 12:42:18 pm »

Hence the option I mentioned to set MC to produce 24-bit audio inside the 32-bit bitstream.

Yes, you are right. Thank you for your support. With this option it works better.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:41:26 am »

Yes, you are right. Thank you for your support. With this option it works better.
Yes
Pages: [1]   Go Up