INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can ‘scrolling volume control’ be disabled across the upper transport bar?  (Read 5927 times)

bMinor

• World Citizen

is there any way to disable the ‘scrolling volume control’ over the whole upper transport bar section?
using a magic mouse i often find myself accidentally increasing the volume when trying to access the menu bar because of the way i hold the mouse. even the slightest touch with a finger on top of the mouse increases the volume when crossing the transport bar area. it’s never been an issue with a track pad on my old macbook pro but now i’m using an imac and a magic mouse. different story…
i don’t know about others but i would never control my volume up there by scrolling in the 1st place…usually i do it via the keyboard or that little slider in the top left corner when keyboard control is mysteriously not working for some reason (i still haven't figured out how to reliably control the volume via keyboard commands. it does work most of the time...but not not always)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

I don't know how to turn off the mouse command that MC is using to change volume.  For me, it's the scroll wheel that changes volume.  I'm not sure there's a setting for that.  I could be missing something.

My keyboard mappings for volume have never failed to work for me.  I use <command><Up Arrow> and <command><Down Arrow>.  I have them mapped via the Resource.xml file.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

bMinor

• World Citizen

My keyboard mappings for volume have never failed to work for me.  I use <command><Up Arrow> and <command><Down Arrow>.  I have them mapped via the Resource.xml file.

I get that.
But I’m not trying to find a way to control the volume. I was trying to find out if volume scrolling can be disabled within MC over certain areas (like across the transport bar on top of the screen).
The Magic Mouse that comes with all newer Macs has no scroll ‘wheel’ but the whole flat top surface acts as
a scroll wheel. To comfortably holding a mouse I always rest 1 or 2 fingers on top of it and even the
slightest movement of the fingers while moving the mouse acts as a scroll. Accidental scrolling occurs not just
across the transport bar but also across other sections where scrolling is possible.
But it’s the volume that’s my main concern.

Buying a new mouse with an actual scroll wheel would solve it but i thought there might be a cheaper way from within MC.

thanks for taking the time Brian.

blgentry

Apparently what you're experiencing with the Magic Mouse is somewhat common.  There are a number of threads on different forums like this one:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5486328?start=45&tstart=0

From reading a few threads I've found a couple of apps that let you adjust things on the Magic Mouse that the standard Preferences won't let you do:

Better touch tool ($3 and up):   https://www.boastr.net/
Magci Prefs (free):  http://magicprefs.com/

Good luck!

Brian.

bMinor

• World Citizen

Apparently what you're experiencing with the Magic Mouse is somewhat common.
Magci Prefs (free):  http://magicprefs.com/

awesome...i had no idea
i owe you :)

blgentry

^ Let me know how it works; I'm curious if the app is any good and/or if it solves your problem.

Brian.

bMinor

• World Citizen

^ Let me know how it works; I'm curious if the app is any good and/or if it solves your problem.

magicprefs lets me precisely adjust the size and position of the scrolling area on my mouse...it's a good solution.
and hey, the price is right...
thanks again!

blgentry

Pages: [1]   Go Up