INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP room correction  (Read 4268 times)

rustybutton

• Recent member
DSP room correction
« on: January 30, 2016, 06:08:44 pm »

I used to run JRiver on a Windows machine because it didn't run on Linux at the time.  But I friggin' hate Windows and finally got tired of all the anti-virus and continually degrading system performance.  So I picked up a used HP laptop, threw in a 1TB disk drive, loaded Ubuntu Linux on it, ripped all of my CDs to flac format and ended up with about 1/2 TB of music data.   I've been using the free open-source Banshee, and for simply playing back my music collection and Internet Radio, it does an adequate job.

But then a friend told me that JRiver has a DSP room correction tool and that's something I'm very interested in experiencing.  And given that JRiver is now running on Linux, I'm considering making the move back.  I have a couple of questions.  Is the DSP room correction tool something that runs on Linux, specifically Ubuntu Linux?  I assume that this requires a calibrated microphone.   Has anyone used a calibrated microphone for doing DSP room correction with JRiver on Linux?

Thanks!

Russ

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: DSP room correction
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:27:07 pm »

But then a friend told me that JRiver has a DSP room correction tool and that's something I'm very interested in experiencing.  And given that JRiver is now running on Linux, I'm considering making the move back.  I have a couple of questions.  Is the DSP room correction tool something that runs on Linux, specifically Ubuntu Linux?  I assume that this requires a calibrated microphone.   Has anyone used a calibrated microphone for doing DSP room correction with JRiver on Linux?

Lots of folks here (including me) use calibrated microphones to determine what kind of EQ they need in JRiver.  Just to clear up something: JRiver does not have an "automated" DSP room correction system.  It has one of the most flexible and powerful DSP suites I've ever seen in software, but you'll need to use another tool or set of tools to determine what DSP and room correction you actually need and then feed it into JRiver.

I've written a very detailed guide about how to use freeware with a calibrated mic to generate DSP and then enter it in JRiver (see the "Guide to Speaker Correction" link in my signature).  One of the programs I use in my guide (Holm Impulse) is windows only, but the other program (Room EQ Wizard) will run just fine on Linux (I run it on Arch myself).  Room EQ Wizard will allow you to take measurements and semi-automatically generate correction filters that you can feed into JRiver. Have a look at the guide and see if that fits the bill, it's mostly about speaker correction but there's a section on room correction as well (and many of the technical steps relating to measurement and/or generating filters are similar).

rustybutton

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 07:32:46 pm »

I have a Dayton Audio calibrated mike I recently bought from Parts-Express.  The calibration file isn't in one of the formats that Room EQ Wizard apparently wants.  Can you point me at some documentation that might clue me as to how to do a conversion?

As a reference, I've put my calibration file up on my web server for anyone to see.  Just hit the link below:

http://russbutton.com/Russ/audio/tmp/10570.txt

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:11:42 pm »

I have a Dayton Audio calibrated mike I recently bought from Parts-Express.  The calibration file isn't in one of the formats that Room EQ Wizard apparently wants.  Can you point me at some documentation that might clue me as to how to do a conversion?

As a reference, I've put my calibration file up on my web server for anyone to see.  Just hit the link below:

http://russbutton.com/Russ/audio/tmp/10570.txt

I used a Dayton Audio EMM-6 with the Dayton provided calibration file. Turns out this calibration is not correct. I recently bought an EMM-6 from http://www.cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_dayton.html . The room correction filters with the Cross-spectrum calibration sounds much better. I do not use REW so I can't directly help you with the format, but a quick Google search gave me this: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/11416-mic-calibration-files.html
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250
Pages: [1]   Go Up